Author Topic: Atlas sound equipped GP40's volume too low  (Read 418 times)

MILWcoastdiv

• Respect: +1
Atlas sound equipped GP40's volume too low
« on: June 09, 2021, 02:39:14 PM »
Yes, I had my hearing tested and it's fine!  Just got my new Atlas N GP40 with ESU and generally the sound is way too low and faint.  The horn is okay but there is hardly any prime mover sound. I did go into the volume CV and set it to it's max which is at it's default all ready.  If I lower it default which is 58- I think it -basically makes it silent.  I have seen on you tube someone else commenting on the low volume as well but no remedy mentioned.  Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks
Mario

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +106
Re: Atlas sound equipped GP40's volume too low
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 02:49:58 PM »
I have found that with ESU sound decoders, you need to set CV31 to 16 and CV32 to 0 first, before changing the prime mover and other sound volume CV's.

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +495
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 06:15:46 PM »
+1
Before you adjust the sound, measure how far your ears are from the locomotive and convert that to scale feet. Then listen to a similar locomotive from the same distance and don’t turn it up any higher that.

Most have the volume set way too high… especially in n-scale.

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 09:22:58 AM »
Before you adjust the sound, measure how far your ears are from the locomotive and convert that to scale feet. Then listen to a similar locomotive from the same distance and don’t turn it up any higher that.

Most have the volume set way too high… especially in n-scale.
Good point , specially if there is a few locomotives in operation or on the ready track .
Thanks ,
Louis