Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/30/21  (Read 5836 times)

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1053
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: Weekend Update 5/30/21
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2021, 03:48:31 PM »
Why can't I see your shots ?

I don't know, maybe your browser doesn't like them because they're not on a secure site (https)?

-Mark

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2021, 05:23:35 PM »
+7
I've started designing some modules based around the steel industry - not my usual interest, but sparked by some files I found on Thingiverse so printed them, along with a couple of other items, to try out some new things on the old resin printer.

Hot metal cars
2 designs of bottle cars
Union RR caboose and a generic steel mill caboose (so titled)
Heavy bottle cars - with a replacement articulated truck bolster as I broke one
Double slag cars with replacement parts due to misprints
Ladle cars, again with replacement ladles due to the bottoms failing
Whimsical jet snow blower (just for a test)
Steel carrying cars
SP Prototype 36' flats - done as a test of thin items
G38 and 39 cars, awaiting some details and PC decals
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 05:27:57 PM by SirTainly »

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +119
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2021, 05:44:44 PM »
+9
A buddy of mine said he wanted a Maine related n scale freight car. I tried to be clever  :D
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +216
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2021, 05:52:34 PM »
+8
Another truck project. A foob Ashland Oil “Flying Octanes” scheme.

Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Starting another layout - Railwire Style JRMFT
  • Respect: +930
    • ANOTHER GREAT RAILROAD
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2021, 06:49:59 PM »
+6
Progress

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 06:54:44 PM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
Page, AZ
ATSF/BNSF San Jacinto District
provencountrypd@gmail.com

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • DKS: Don't Know Sh..
  • Respect: +5858
    • David's Modeling Journey

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +208
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2021, 08:00:53 PM »
+7
After a major week-long effort to patch gaps in the foam, paint it, scenic it (somewhat), put ties where there were gaps, and paint shiny rails, I finally get to take some pictures. This is a good shot for grass -- more pictures in Layout Engineering.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +3101
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2021, 11:22:42 PM »
+13
Did a little painting. 

I had gotten the old Trix B unit from Jeff Peck a week or so ago.
I've had the Kato A floating around for a while, in Santa Fe cigar band.  I masked the yellow stripe at the sill, and shot some Krylon dark blue from a small rattle can.
First time I've used that on a model, and I must say I'm pleased with the result, both the color and the finish.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2021, 12:37:07 AM »
mecgp7:  That lobster car is an oldie itself.  I have a couple, kept as collectables, and never have found what they were actually used for.
N Kalanaga
Be well

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +119
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2021, 08:48:25 AM »
mecgp7:  That lobster car is an oldie itself.  I have a couple, kept as collectables, and never have found what they were actually used for.
Just found this. Apparently container cars. I image the offset "doors" were placed the same way that some auto parts and paper boxcars  were to allow more room.
https://www.trovestar.com/generic/zoom.php?id=143044

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +592
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2021, 11:16:35 AM »
+4
Concerning Woodland Scenics Pre-Wired Poles in N-scale:

Actually you just reminded me that @robert3985 uses surgical suture for this purpose.

Although I use 6-ought black non-sterile suture silk for fine wire details, I don't use it for lines on right-of-way telephone/telegraph poles.  I've used some .002" stainless wire experimentally for some diorama shots in the past, but I didn't like the shiny quality of it, and also that it was difficult to get to hang smoothly and uniformly between the N-scale of Nevada SP prototype poles and crossarms I used for the shot.

Photo (1) - .002 Stainless Wire Strung Between N-Scale of Nevada Poles & Crossarms on Kelly Newton's Version of Weber Canyon:

Prototypically, the signal and power lines associated with right-of-way (ROW) telephone/telegraph wires are strung quite tightly, and don't sag much.  Sometimes power lines are added in a separate location on the poles & crossarms (usually with larger insulators ) and these are larger in diameter and sag noticeably.

On most ROW railroad-installed utility poles that are used for both power and signalling, the lines are made of several different sizes and types of wire, which if done in actual scaled-down prototype diameters, would be virtually invisible.  This is verified by photos of the real thing, and only in some photos are the lines clearly visible, such as against the sky, or with smooth or distant structures or scenery behind them.

Photo (2) - See the ROW Telegraph/Telephone Poles?  See ANY Wires???

From diagrams of transition era ROW "pole lines", the wires used range from "No. 10" to "No. 6".  Maximum dia. of "No. 10" wire is .135", which in N-scale is a microscopic .00084375"...rounded off to .0008".  That's EIGHT TEN THOUSANDTHS of an inch!  "No. 6" wire has a maximum diameter of .192", which in N-scale is .0012".

For visibility, I'd say that .003" in N-scale would be a good diameter to represent ROW "pole line" signal wires, and power lines that prototypically are No.10 through No. 6 wires. 

Lines were made of different types of copper wire and also iron wire...and were bare metal, with no insulation, so the copper oxidizes to a green color and the iron oxidizes to very dark brown...basically black, and they were smooth.

Although I don't own any Berkshire Junction EZ Line yet, BJ says in their literature that the "fine" elastic thread is .010" in diameter.  However, I've read posts by modelers who have actually measured it, and they say it is between .003" and .004" in diameter.

If EZ Line is really less than .004" in diameter, I highly recommend it for stringing "pole line" on your N-scale ROW telephone/telegraph pole crossarms.

Of course, the added benefit of EZ Line is that it's elastic enough so that you're not going to break it or snap crossarms or poles off if you snag it...and you will for sure.

Although color varies from green to dark brown on prototype pole lines, to keep them as unobtrusive as possible, I'd opt for EZ Line in black.  If you want them to stand out a bit, the green would be my next choice, also representing copper wires.

On the other hand, maybe not stringing ANY thread between poles is actually the best looking, most prototypical looking option??????

I won't be purchasing any N-scale WS strung poles for several reasons...the two main reasons being that they don't look anything like the poles alongside UP's trackage here in Utah, and the string they're using is totally wrong for signal/power lines on ROW telephone/telegraph poles.

If you'd like to know more about ROW railroad telephone/telegraph poles, there's a thread dedicated to that subject here: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=46061.msg599253#msg599253                       ...which I see needs some maintenance with missing photos.  I'll do that tomorrow evening.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 11:31:46 AM by robert3985 »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +1184
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2021, 04:51:19 PM »
I don't know, maybe your browser doesn't like them because they're not on a secure site (https)?

-Mark

Thanks , ok now that DKS walked me through the woods .

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +1184
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2021, 04:54:53 PM »
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=50726.0

Thank you Sir , I guess depending on the teacher , you can fix stupid . :oops:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2739
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2021, 06:58:43 PM »
+1
Thank you Sir , I guess depending on the teacher , you can fix stupid . :oops:

You're not stupid - it is the damn browser developers slowly making the browser more and more, ahem,  "secure".   :RUEffinKiddingMe:  You had no way of knowing that they did that.
. . . 42 . . .

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1053
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2021, 07:34:04 PM »
+1
You're not stupid - it is the damn browser developers slowly making the browser more and more, ahem,  "secure".

What bugs me is that all these security measures are so one-size-fits-all. There is zero reason for me to use (or pay for) a secure server since no one is sending me any information (sensitive or otherwise). But the simple fact that it's http and not https causes all sorts of red flags to go up with certain browsers.

-Mark