Author Topic: Suggestion for next ESM freight car  (Read 2209 times)

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +453
Re: Suggestion for next ESM freight car
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2021, 09:55:18 AM »
I should have noted in my response above- I am very happy with my ESM Magor cars, and if they were to produce a 1944 AAR boxcar (or any boxcar made between 1940 and 1955), I would be a likely customer. With the caveat that I would appreciate at least some production of road names from west of the Appalachians. I can only justify so many "eastern" road boxcars.
Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,
If you don't make it, I can't buy it.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 02:46:22 PM »
“Mid-20th century” translates to 1930 through 1965. Other than the X72 (barely outside of that range), every model we’ve released falls inside of that 35-year window.

GATC 4500 production started before 1965, was owned by multiple railroads, has never been done in HO and N (excluding brass), and would need 100T trucks...🎤 drop...

:trollface:

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2021, 02:58:41 PM »
Granted, it hasn't been available on a regular basis for a decade, but I've always liked the Deluxe 1944 AAR car- at least compared to other "premium" cars on the market.  I am sure the underframe is off (like almost everything tooled before about 2015), but they weighted the cars and they track well (at least the ones I have- .9 ounce, which is what I aim for now when weighting a box or reefer),  and I thought their solution to a scale thickness door was ingenious.  And it would be interchange-able, if alternate door styles were tooled to fit.

All that said, I am by no means an expert on freight cars- and I haven't compared the model to drawings - and for that matter, the distinctions between various AAR boxcars are mostly lost on me, other than the number of side panels and "modified" 6" height variation- so I can't tick off the things that would distinguish it from a 1937 "modified". Does the Deluxe car have major issues (other than noted)?

From what's on Spookshow's website, the tooling went to Fox Valley a few years ago.  But that might mean nothing more than a worker in a warehouse in China crossed out "Deluxe" on a box on a shelf, and wrote in "Fox Valley."

IMRC 1937 (from IMRC) has 5/5 ends, Murphy panel roof, YSD-1 doors.

The 1944 AAR from IMRC is an early version with 4/4 ends, Murphy panel roof and YSD-1 doors

The 1944 AAR offered by DI was a later version with R+3/4 ends, diagonal panel roof, and YSD-2 doors.

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +388
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2021, 03:37:31 PM »
+3
@thomasjmdavis head on over to http://steamerafreightcars.com and soak in the proto information about 40-foot boxcars.  It's a great source of deliveries and specific features.

I love the IMRC kits, as you can combine ends and roofs to match most any factory-delivered or rebuilt car, for example:

Frank

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +76
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2021, 04:02:43 PM »
ESM/NSK Portec Auto Rack

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2021, 05:36:35 PM »
IMRC 1937 (from IMRC) has 5/5 ends, Murphy panel roof, YSD-1 doors.

The 1944 AAR from IMRC is an early version with 4/4 ends, Murphy panel roof and YSD-1 doors

The 1944 AAR offered by DI was a later version with R+3/4 ends, diagonal panel roof, and YSD-2 doors.
Thanks for the note on the IM 1944 car- I was sure that IMRC had made a 1944 car, but darned if I can find any mention of it anywhere (not in IM products, or pre-orders, or undecs) on the IMRC site. I quite probably have one or more stored away.  Plenty of the Deluxe cars- and I realized after I posted that they are, of course, distinguished by the diagonal panel roof.  I wasn't sure how many door/end variations had been offered.   I do have IMRC 1937 standard (not mod) and 12 panel cars with Superior doors, so assume that was an option on their 1937 modified and 1944 cars as well.
Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +363
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2021, 05:53:17 PM »
Thanks for the note on the IM 1944 car- I was sure that IMRC had made a 1944 car, but darned if I can find any mention of it anywhere (not in IM products, or pre-orders, or undecs) on the IMRC site.

I think IM refers to them as "Modified AAR 40' Boxcar (8 Rung Ladder, 4-4 Improved Dreadnaught Ends)"

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2021, 07:09:44 PM »
I think IM refers to them as "Modified AAR 40' Boxcar (8 Rung Ladder, 4-4 Improved Dreadnaught Ends)"
Thanks Mark, that does help.  I have seen those referenced elsewhere as "Canadian version".  I do have at least one of those, in GTW lettering.  I do think at one time they did list a "1944 AAR" car, but quite possibly I am just remembering the days when the DI versions were listed on the IMRC site.  I note on the version you mention that the TH&B cars (and maybe some others) have a diagonal roof, while most have a Murphy (I think)- or some sort of panel/improved panel.
https://www.intermountain-railway.com/n/html/66803.htm
https://www.intermountain-railway.com/n/html/66806.htm
Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2021, 01:38:32 AM »
ESM/NSK Portec Auto Rack

@bbussey speaking of this, are there any updates on this project? Or anything worth an update. I believe the last update was Peter and you were working on making folding jigs or something along those lines to bend the etched car bodies

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +447
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2021, 02:03:30 AM »
+1
Yes, the Deluxe car is nice, and I'm buying used ones to repaint, as I find them.  And Intermountain has made the 1944 AAR cars, but neither one is readily available.  Given that most major, and many minor, roads had them in the 40s through the 70s, there would certainly be plenty of roadnames to do.  Oddly, the GN, my primary interest, wasn't one of them.  But, since I model the early BN, and the NP, CB&Q, and SP&S had them, I'd still be a customer.

One thing I would like to see, if anyone makes one, is a regularly available undecorated version.  There are plenty of decals available for smaller roads, and custom decals are becoming easier to find, so I'd imagine that undecs would sell well.  Many of the owners were too small, or obscure, to be profitable for a RTR model.

Make two sides, with the tabbed and straight side sills, and interchangeable doors, and it would cover most variations.  A modern version with the shortened A-end ladders would be nice, but since a lot of these kept their roofwalks to retirement, not a requirement.
N Kalanaga
Be well

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2021, 10:02:14 AM »
One thing I would like to see, if anyone makes one, is a regularly available undecorated version.  There are plenty of decals available for smaller roads, and custom decals are becoming easier to find, so I'd imagine that undecs would sell well.  Many of the owners were too small, or obscure, to be profitable for a RTR model.

Make two sides, with the tabbed and straight side sills, and interchangeable doors, and it would cover most variations.  A modern version with the shortened A-end ladders would be nice, but since a lot of these kept their roofwalks to retirement, not a requirement.
+1
I'd also like to see that.  Given how many there were, I am really surprised that no one does straight sill versions of any of the AAR cars.  Bodies would also be useful for kitbashing rebuilt and RR shop built cars.

Intermountain does do small undec runs when they produce a car, but IMRC production is so sporadic in N scale, those are seldom available.  And like all things IM, must be pre-ordered a decade in advance.

I, for one, would be quite happy if someone were to do this as resin kits (as opposed to injection molding). On the order of what Fine-N-Scale does, but with separate, interchange-able doors/ends.  Does not require the same level of investment.  Or more of the sort of thing in the RPM CGW kit that @Sokramiketes recently made some copies of- ends and doors to fit existing IMRC carbodies- which could allow for lots of variations from cars available on eBay, even if seldom available from the original manufacturer.

But to get back to "our regular channel" on this thread....one wonders what northeastern road freight cars, made between 1940 and 1965, unlikely to be made by MTL or IMRC, etc., ESM might be considering....
Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2021, 11:41:05 AM »
Thanks for the note on the IM 1944 car- I was sure that IMRC had made a 1944 car, but darned if I can find any mention of it anywhere (not in IM products, or pre-orders, or undecs) on the IMRC site. I quite probably have one or more stored away.  Plenty of the Deluxe cars- and I realized after I posted that they are, of course, distinguished by the diagonal panel roof.  I wasn't sure how many door/end variations had been offered.   I do have IMRC 1937 standard (not mod) and 12 panel cars with Superior doors, so assume that was an option on their 1937 modified and 1944 cars as well.

As far as I know, DI only offered the YSD-2 door despite the fact that it was a separate part.

I don't know if IMRC offered any other doors aside from the YSD-1 for any of their 10'6" IH cars like they did with the 10' IH cars.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1548
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2021, 12:27:13 PM »
@bbussey speaking of this, are there any updates on this project? Or anything worth an update. I believe the last update was Peter and you were working on making folding jigs or something along those lines to bend the etched car bodies

Creating a folding jig, or pre-folding the wrapper is proving to be costly.  Project isn't dead, just still exploring the options.  The irony is that the hard part of printing the wrapper is set.  All the components themselves are finalized or close to it.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1548
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2021, 12:38:09 PM »
....one wonders what northeastern road freight cars, made between 1940 and 1965, unlikely to be made by MTL or IMRC, etc., ESM might be considering....

There are many many more than you realize.  8)

First up after the HO car will be G26A and G26C mill gondolas.  We need to rerun the G26 so we are adding the two variations, along with ratchet brakes, a redesigned coupler box (to standardize with our other models) and metal wheels.  That's a definite unless the HO car crashes and burns.  All three variations in the next release, equipped as before with MTL special-order truck frames.  :D

The next car after that will stun a lot of folks and should do very well.  :o

Eastern, not just northeastern.  "Fine scale replicas of North American eastern railroad prototypes."  That covers a lot of territory in two countries.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2021, 06:14:51 PM »
Thanks for the correction Bryan.  Eastern (Seaboard), not "northeastern".  For whatever reason, I was thinking New Haven and BAR, forgetting your company's forays into Atlantic Coast Line gondolas and passenger car sides (probably among other things) and similar products for several other roads.

The next car after that will stun a lot of folks and should do very well.  :o

I will prepare to be stunned.  At least you've given enough hints that I am confident it will be something that fits my layout better than the most recent "big announcement" from another manufacturer, which turned out to be a pick up truck 40 years past my layout/collection era. (nothing wrong with a 90s pick up truck in N scale, just wasn't very exciting for those of us modeling the 50s)

Anyway, best of luck with the HO project and hopefully it is profitable enough that you have the capital to produce the N scale projects, but NOT so profitable that you can retire before you do the N scale stuff.
Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,