Author Topic: Suggestion for next ESM freight car  (Read 2208 times)

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +222
Re: Suggestion for next ESM freight car
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2021, 06:37:46 PM »
I will prepare to be stunned.  At least you've given enough hints that I am confident it will be something that fits my layout better than the most recent "big announcement" from another manufacturer, which turned out to be a pick up truck 40 years past my layout/collection era. (nothing wrong with a 90s pick up truck in N scale, just wasn't very exciting for those of us modeling the 50s)

Something suitable for the late 40's would be nice, so the G26 and G26a will be welcome.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 06:41:02 PM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

Tom L

• Crew
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2021, 08:08:23 PM »
I’m stunned by the thought of being stunned.

I’m going to buy the HO car just to support the N scale projects.

Tom L
Wellington CO

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +813
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2021, 09:15:05 PM »
+1

The next car after that will stun a lot of folks and should do very well.  :o

Eastern, not just northeastern.  "Fine scale replicas of North American eastern railroad prototypes."  That covers a lot of territory in two countries.

So Fowler box? That is a HUGE hole in mid-century N scale.
Giving me love
All on your canvas
All of the girls
All on the mattress

Lock the door
Dim the lights
Bottoms up
I'm in love
And you too

You're the best I can do
You're the best I can do
You're the...
You're the...

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +474
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2021, 09:20:32 PM »
Something suitable for the late 40's would be nice, so the G26 and G26a will be welcome.

... Like the ESM G26 that is still available from the first run in 2009?
http://www.esmc.com/2200/Item2201.html

~Ian
“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” ~Homer Simpson

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +222
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2021, 11:01:01 PM »
... Like the ESM G26 that is still available from the first run in 2009?
http://www.esmc.com/2200/Item2201.html

~Ian

I could get the one that's left, I suppose.  I've got a couple others but they're later shadow keystone emblems that I bought when I thought I'd be doing PRR in the mid 50's instead of later 40's.  I need Circle Keystones now and they're sold out except for the one.  Some G26a would still be nice, too.

Update:  I just bought 2 off the web site. I can change the number of one of them (I hope).  Now there's only 7 left.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 11:47:21 PM by reinhardtjh »
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +474
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2021, 12:24:55 AM »
+1
I could get the one that's left, I suppose.  I've got a couple others but they're later shadow keystone emblems that I bought when I thought I'd be doing PRR in the mid 50's instead of later 40's.  I need Circle Keystones now and they're sold out except for the one.  Some G26a would still be nice, too.

I think N scale Supply has most of them..

Though I seem to notice more (compared to other mfgs) of a disconnect between ESM and Dealers with items in stock.
.. By that I mean.. After checking several dealers.. Some don't seem to show ESM, and the ones that do show ESM items.. quite a few items appear 'Sold Out' while the ESM website still has them available for sale.

N Scale Supply seems to be the most in sync with ESM.. having several products ESM shows sold out. 

~Ian
“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” ~Homer Simpson

MTLJoe

• Crew
  • Respect: +741
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2021, 05:29:13 PM »
how about some West Coast love? 

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2702
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2021, 05:35:42 PM »

LOL, that was funny.  Maybe you should ask Kato USA (or even make some yourself, since MTL  is on the Left Coast).  :trollface: ;)
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1548
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2021, 06:15:24 PM »

I’ll leave that playing field to you! 🚂
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

cgw

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2021, 04:49:26 AM »
Gee Brian..........Joe just threw you a bone with a nice new haven heavyweight set in this may's releases.   You owe him some west coast flair.  At least one................... :facepalm: :D

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +181
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2021, 07:41:16 AM »
How about an earlier DOD flat, something for Vietnam era equipment?
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +453
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2021, 09:07:00 AM »
Gee Brian..........Joe just threw you a bone with a nice new haven heavyweight set in this may's releases.   You owe him some west coast flair.  At least one................... :facepalm: :D
Here you go- boxcar in Vancouver, Canada. 

Photograph by Walter E. Frost

Looks like the NH needs to fix the ride height on that PS1, when compared to the Reading car to the right.
Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,
If you don't make it, I can't buy it.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1548
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2021, 09:09:57 AM »
PS-1s did ride higher than other boxcars. But not as high as vintage N scale boxcars to clear truck-mounted coupler swing.

The Reading car appears to be a rebuilt USRA, which were low-riders.

The floor height appears to be the same on both boxcars though.

Tom, what is the road that you are modeling?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 09:11:56 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +453
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2021, 12:44:38 PM »
Tom, what is the road that you are modeling?
Bryan,

Thanks for asking.  Largest part of my collection (about 30%?) is AT&SF.  But my modeling goal is to build a layout that will include a representation of Dearborn station in Chicago (with some of its freight houses- so an army of 40' boxcars) and a number of industrial vignettes. 

So, I am building a collection that includes freight cars from many roads, based on the variation seen in photographs of the freight houses, and various freight yards, of the 1950s.  For the past couple decades, my preference runs towards "signature" cars from various roads- so an X-29 or ribside rather than a generic boxcar painted PRR or MILW (or, in ESM terms, a Magor XIH where appropriate, instead of an "insulated boxcar" painted red, white & blue). But I do make allowances for some MTL foobies and such.

Oh, and I seldom meet a baggage or express car that I don't like.

Tom D.

Dear manufacturers,
If you don't make it, I can't buy it.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +586
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2021, 05:04:02 PM »
+1
Interesting note, that New Haven PS1 is the relatively rare 10'0" inside height version. Would make an interesting model with a few owners (NH, DLW, B&O, AC&Y, DRGW, LV, TPW, PH&D, LNAC, CNW (possibly more second hand owners)

My personal suggestion for a ESM model would be a 52'6" Greenville mill gondola.

This is the prototype for the HO Lifelike proto 2000 model and is accurate for many roads (with order specific variations)

Owners include but aren't limited to - Erie, Erie Lackawanna, NYC, Nickel Plate Road, DT&I, Rock Island, Ann Arbor, CB&Q, C&S, Western Pacific, P&LE, P&BR, SB, Frisco, Pere Marquette, Chesapeake & Ohio, Penn Central, Norfolk & Western.

Another choice would be the AAR Lehigh Valley / Bethlehem Steel version of the 52'6 mill gondola which also has a large list of owners.

B&O, LV, CNJ/CRP, RDG, WAG, WM, Wabash among others.

Whatever Bryan does I'm sure it will be a top quality model and I hope ESM sees success in the future.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 05:09:05 PM by Missaberoad »
Ryan in Alberta