Author Topic: Can CCS assembled passenger cars be taken apart?  (Read 1612 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Can CCS assembled passenger cars be taken apart?
« on: September 18, 2020, 02:29:55 PM »
I'm in want of a CCS 56 seat coach.  There's a couple available here and there but they would need to be stripped and repainted.  I've had mixed success taking assembled models apart and was wondering how the CCS cars are.

Thx,

Jason

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
Re: Can CCS assembled passenger cars be taken apart?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 02:34:48 AM »
Good question.  I have a couple of their GN Big Sky Blue cars, and detest the shade of blue.  I haven't looked to closely, but they don't look easy to get apart, so I haven't bothered. 

"Anything can be taken apart once.  Not everything can be put back together again." - Unknown
N Kalanaga
Be well

williek

• Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 02:49:20 AM »
With patience and a sharp blade you can separate the floor from the sides, then slide the blade along the inside of the sides to separate the plastic film glazing and the shutters/blinds. The parts are joined, per CCS, with cyanoacrylate. With a bit trimming (length only) on the body of a Kato smoothside car, you can mount the sides with top on the Kato frame.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +980
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 08:48:51 AM »
If "56 seat coach" is the CNW prototype from CCS, another potential solution is to check the Des Plaines Hobbies website to see if they have any of their kits in stock.  From an examination of the one car I have (6-6-4 from early CCS run, I think), and just my recollection of reviews, the CCS cars are, essentially, assembled DPH kits, with improved trucks.  But if you are planning to paint, might be easier to build a new one.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1109
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 10:17:50 AM »
I reached out to DPH back in June about their CNW cars and they said they would be packing up more kit this summer.  I followed up a three weeks ago for an update and haven't received a reply yet. I'm still hopeful for the kits, I'm just looing at a backup plan here.

Jason

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 12:06:26 PM »
I dunked my pair of coaches in 91% isopropyl with the trucks removed and it made the separation easier of the body and floor and roof section. Also, removed the windows easily.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 12:41:20 PM »
While it was a while since I messed around with these cars, I seem to recall that there were 2 distinct batches of these cars.  Main spotting difference were the trucks.  I believe one version had MTL trucks.  One of those batches of cars (and I don't remember which) was quite easy to take apart,and the other one was pretty much impossible without doing some serious cutting.
. . . 42 . . .

kscessandriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 08:00:40 PM »
While it was a while since I messed around with these cars, I seem to recall that there were 2 distinct batches of these cars.  Main spotting difference were the trucks.  I believe one version had MTL trucks.  One of those batches of cars (and I don't remember which) was quite easy to take apart,and the other one was pretty much impossible without doing some serious cutting.

I've got some Centralia cars that are lighted, and they seem to be reasonably easy to get the roof off of, whereas the non-lighted ones don't seem to be nearly as easy to take apart. Or at least that's how I remember it.

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3315
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 10:59:48 AM »
They are glued together which can be problematic depending on how old they are.  Some pop right apart, others you pretty much have to get a blowtorch out to get them disassembled (kidding of course....sort of....).
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1233
    • Modutrak
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 02:03:00 PM »
+1
There are indeed two generations of these cars.

Gen 1
Standard core kit and injection molded car sides assembled in China, flush windows, smooth roofs
Three piece American Limited trucks

Gen 2
Newly tooled cars, one piece sides and ends, clip on roof with roof seams and details molded in, separate grab irons, lighting kits, non-flush windows
Micro-Trains one-piece trucks

The roofs are better on Gen 2, while the car sides are better on Gen 1 (and undec kits).  When the cars were tooled up to have one piece sides and ends, the car sides got thicker and the windows are no longer flush.

To do a proper 56 seat C&NW car, you want an undec kit for the sides and the roof from an assembled car. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 02:11:34 PM by Sokramiketes »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1233
    • Modutrak
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 02:07:41 PM »
+2
Here’s Northwest Passage II assembled from the parts noted.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

You can see the pocket for window material on the back of the sides here.  That's how you get flush glass.  The later CCS cars have thick sides.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 02:10:01 PM by Sokramiketes »

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 04:06:26 PM »
There are indeed two generations of these cars.

Gen 1
Standard core kit and injection molded car sides assembled in China, flush windows, smooth roofs
Three piece American Limited trucks

Gen 2
Newly tooled cars, one piece sides and ends, clip on roof with roof seams and details molded in, separate grab irons, lighting kits, non-flush windows
Micro-Trains one-piece trucks

The second gen cars also had full interiors and lighting kits. First gen was an empty interior with shades glued halfway down all the windows.  Sadly, the prices were nearly the same.