Author Topic: Rowa dome on eBay - smoothside?  (Read 939 times)

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +995
Rowa dome on eBay - smoothside?
« on: September 20, 2020, 01:19:08 PM »
Someone is selling this Rowa dome on eBay.  It appears to be smoothside, where as all the Rowa domes I've ever seen in person have the lower-half of the side done in C&O-style corrugations (even though the C&O never had such cars).   Has anyone ever seen one like this that wasn't a kitbash?  This one does not appear to have had the sides replaced.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
Re: Rowa dome on eBay - smoothside?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 01:45:11 PM »
In the photo, it appears to have the original Rowa glass inserts with silver painted "window frames" around the window edges)- I think it may be that the fluting has simply been sanded off.  In the old days, folks would do that to approximate the Wabash parlor dome and similar cars that have the same window pattern but different dome (now done with a Super Chief dome and Brass Car Sides sides). The BCS sides (and the prototype) have a small vent above the second small window on the lower level that I don't see in the photo.  Also possible that some previous owner used the Rowa sides as a template and cut their own sides from styrene- if so did a good job, but some of the windows do look a little rough around the edges- although that could be age and "artifacts" of sanding off fluting.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 03:30:32 PM »
It looks like the "smooth" side surface is not as smooth as a molded plastic surface nor a brass or plastic car side.  So, my guess is that it is a Rowa car that has had its fluting sanded off and then painted silver.  So, in shape, it looks very close to the B&O cars that were originally run with the First light weight "Columbian".  But, those were painted blue and gray with gold striping, at least until Amtrak took over. And then they were painted other colors.  I don't think they were ever silver.

The B&O also had some silver, fully-fluted dome cars with different (actually, unique) dome shapes that were originally made for the C&O, for a train that the C&O discontinued before ever running it.  So, those domes, which have different slopes at the opposite ends, slanted glass in the inner dome panels and curved glass on the outer dome panels.  So, this car does not have the proper sides, dome shape or window pattern to be those cars, which the B&O ran on the "Capitol Limited" and the "Shenandoah".

But, both of those cars eventually got retired and went private.  So, one could use this one as a private car in a recent era.

Drgwspup

• Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 02:32:10 AM »
+1
the sides were scrapped with a chisel blade and then sanded.  At least that is what I did to get a MP car out of the Rowa car.   This one looks just like the one I made. All Rowa cars were corrugated when made.