Author Topic: N Scale Supply Denver Colorado  (Read 4977 times)

unittraincoal

• Crew
N Scale Supply Denver Colorado
« on: September 08, 2020, 09:07:12 PM »
N Scale Supply in Denver (Arvada) has opened a showroom to the public. It is quite possible the best selection of N Scale in the United States! Absolutely Amazing! Tons of inventory and older hard to find items... All I can say is WOW!
They are open on Fri and Sat, but are going to expand hours very soon.... Many of you have probably seen their website....
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 09:11:15 PM by unittraincoal »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: N Scale Supply Denver Colorado
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 09:14:00 PM »
WOW! Almost like the good ol' days at Caboose Hobbies.
. . . 42 . . .

unittraincoal

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 09:16:14 PM »
I think they have more N Scale than our old sorely missed Caboose Hobbies ever had... They are very friendly like the Old Caboose too...

basementcalling

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 11:16:14 PM »
If you can get to them in the late summer snowstorm raging in Denver and eastern Colorado today. :scared:
Peter Pfotenhauer

Tom L

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 12:44:44 AM »
Many years ago, they were a retail operation with regular hours but then went online only. It’s was a nice store back then, too.  Nice to see that they are opening up a few days a week. They have a lots of used stuff, as well

Temps back in the 70s and 80s in Denver by the time they open on the weekend!

Tom L
Wellington CO

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 01:28:12 AM »
Back before the internet. My first friend to get it. I went over there and printed out a bunch of NSS website for reference.

Who knew I would one day have the internet myself...

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 09:29:50 AM »
Many years ago, they were a retail operation with regular hours but then went online only. It’s was a nice store back then, too. 

I remember when Scott had the small (5x7) Mike Danneman DRGW layout set up on display.

Ed

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 09:41:55 AM »
I believe they went back to 'Open Store' for State sales tax reasons, and stopped shipping within Colorado.  If they shipped within the state, they had to follow local tax laws for each municipality, vs simplified sales tax rules for out of state 'Internet' sales.

~Ian
~Ian

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 01:38:36 PM »
I believe they went back to 'Open Store' for State sales tax reasons, and stopped shipping within Colorado. 

I still get my shipments just fine.  The website used to have a page with more details about how the tax issue was resolved, but I don't have the link.

Ed

Rossford Yard

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 04:59:36 PM »
Have stopped by there twice while in Denver for weddings or biz, and never fails to impress. I agree it is probably a go to place, maybe the go to place for N scalers.  They have lots of all the new stuff, and a lot of details, which are hard to find and perfect for those of us traveling trying to find things we don't normally see on shelves.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 11:47:28 AM »
Next time someone is there PLEASE ask them to make their website half as nice their store. I KNOW they have great stock but browsing and ordering is a terrible experience.

It reminds me of what I built for MBK over 15 years ago.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 11:50:05 AM by Ed Kapuscinski »

C855B

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 12:29:46 PM »
Next time someone is there PLEASE ask them to make their website half as nice their store. I KNOW they have great stock but browsing and ordering is a terrible experience.

It reminds me of what I built for MBK over 15 years ago.

You're in the web design biz, so you're biased. I have no issue with NSS' site. It may not be pretty, but beyond the annoying back-and-forth between the inventory listings and the manual-entry shopping cart, it's simple and just works, and no f'in Javascript. I'm not looking for fine website design when I shop, just ease, clarity and completeness.

If there is anything I can point to for how their site is superior to almost everyone else's, it's the completeness and accuracy of inventory status. In a word, honest. Too many online stores, including MBK's new site until recently, poorly track what is and isn't available. That said, with MBK I want to throw my mouse at the screen after spending a bunch of clicks drilling down to "the" item I need, only to discover it's out of stock. Infuriating.

NSS' service is OUTSTANDING in my book, website included. They may not have the absolute best price on a lot of items, but they have been my first choice for most everything N scale in the past, oh, 15 years, because I know I'm going to get it if the site says they have it, and their communication in all circumstances has been perfect. And they handle pre-orders, even cutting me slack when I've missed an ordering window. I wouldn't be too fast to change something that works consistently well even though it is clunky by today's standards.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 01:17:21 PM »
So you must hate that MBK ruined their site.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 01:53:13 PM »
You're in the web design biz, so you're biased. I have no issue with NSS' site. It may not be pretty, but beyond the annoying back-and-forth between the inventory listings and the manual-entry shopping cart, it's simple and just works, and no f'in Javascript. I'm not looking for fine website design when I shop, just ease, clarity and completeness.

If there is anything I can point to for how their site is superior to almost everyone else's, it's the completeness and accuracy of inventory status. In a word, honest. Too many online stores, including MBK's new site until recently, poorly track what is and isn't available. That said, with MBK I want to throw my mouse at the screen after spending a bunch of clicks drilling down to "the" item I need, only to discover it's out of stock. Infuriating.

NSS' service is OUTSTANDING in my book, website included. They may not have the absolute best price on a lot of items, but they have been my first choice for most everything N scale in the past, oh, 15 years, because I know I'm going to get it if the site says they have it, and their communication in all circumstances has been perfect. And they handle pre-orders, even cutting me slack when I've missed an ordering window. I wouldn't be too fast to change something that works consistently well even though it is clunky by today's standards.

I suppose I may be biased, but I'm trying to find a list of what are the latest arrivals and it's impossible to find. I can drill into individual product lines and see there, but I, and I think many other people, would like to keep tabs on what's new.

Same thing with ordering. I'm 100% serious: I created a "copy and paste" order form for MBK back in the day. We made a bunch of money with that sucker, but there's no way I'm dealing with that on my phone (which is where something that consumers expect in 2020).

The stats back me up: https://www.outerboxdesign.com/web-design-articles/mobile-ecommerce-statistics

Outdated looking and feeling websites are the modern day "dusty shelves, litter boxes and stale cigarettes smell".

I WANT to support many of the places that have dated web presences: N Scale Supply, BLW, Des Plaines, etc... but when I can just go to one of these URLs, see the new hotness and hit "buy", guess who's getting my impulse purchases:
https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/search?search_query_adv#/filter:custom_scale:N/perpage:96/sort:sortable_date_created:desc/filter:custom_scale:Multi
https://lombardhobby.com/n-trains/
https://www.whiterosehobbies.com/model-trains/n-scale-model-trains
https://midwestmodelrr.com/product-category/n-scale/
https://www.fiferhobby.com/whats-new/

The tools are out there and they're not nearly as expensive or as difficult to adopt as they used to be. Places need to step up or they're going to become statistics.

wcfn100

• Crew
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 01:56:50 PM »
I suppose I may be biased, but I'm trying to find a list of what are the latest arrivals and it's impossible to find. I can drill into individual product lines and see there, but I, and I think many other people, would like to keep tabs on what's new.

:?

https://www.nscalesupply.com/Newsletter/CurrentNewsletter.html

Jason