Author Topic: Are hobby shops now more depressing than inspiring?  (Read 4629 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
Re: Are hobby shops now more depressing than inspiring?
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2021, 11:20:23 AM »
I still believe we are in a golden age of model railroading. I believe the LHS will still be around in some locations but there will be less of them. (references to Mr Obvious r ok) Covid hasn’t destroyed the LHS like it has the food service non-fast food places.

Actually a bright spot for Denver-area N scaler is that N Scale Supply in Arvada CO has been doing quite well and is growing.  The retail showroom is quite well stocked and they have increased their retail hours. There is more to see in-store than the N-scale section of the old Caboose Hobbies (the real CH that was on S. Broadway).  They are even expanding the business by adding some HO and other scales.

Ed

Rossford Yard

• Crew
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2021, 02:38:25 PM »
Is the Scaletrains.com an example/model of what you think Atlas should do?

Direct sales and a select network of dealers. The selling price minimum you can sell ST models at as a dealer are the same as what ST will sell direct. Their model of pre-ordering but not charging the sale until they notify the product is in does work for me.

I really like the Tangent method, announce the product when it had already been unloaded at the warehouse and no pre-ordering.
But eventually he will run into a product he can’t quickly sell out. Again, direct sales and a select dealer network.

I still believe we are in a golden age of model railroading. I believe the LHS will still be around in some locations but there will be less of them. (references to Mr Obvious r ok) Covid hasn’t destroyed the LHS like it has the food service non-fast food places. Fast food is thriving, fine and bar type dining is drifting away.

TomO

Tom, I only worry about the big concepts.....will let others worry about the "small" details" LOL.

I like the Scale Trains model, although as it happens, I think I ordered their C-39-8 (both New Hope and Ivy, which my LHS said, "Who would want one of those?" (Me, me, me!  Perfect for my generic short line switching layout, AND, my best sound runners, thank you ST!)

I do wonder if Atlas and its 3 scales and greater inventory could be as efficient as a new company with limited number of models, but they already have their online shop for older stock, replacement parts, and even pre-orders now, so who knows.  I do believe at some point, it will be cheapest for them to eliminate the two middlemen (wholesaler and LHS) and be able to sell their product at both a more reasonable price and greater profit.  But, just MHO.

As to LHS, a buddy of mine is of the opinion that eventually, MR will go back to the Hobby Town and Hobby Lobby chains, or maybe even Lowes Ace Hardware, or Walmart.  But, only in cities where there are multiple stores.  Maybe one is the MR HQ, and if someone goes to the other shop, but it's out of stock, the shop across town can drone it to the customer, even if he pays for it in the other store.  It makes some sense to me, but would likely be in a town where the store owner liked trains.  Not unlike Long Drugs in So Cal many years ago, which was basically a drug store with a train dept. in the back, which did both mail order and in store sales, with great stock.  Stand alone retailers, IMHO again, probably will need to specialize even further, a la N Scale Supply, and then be really, really good at what they do.

Basically, the entire industry will consolidate, IMHO, one way or another, and it needs to to survive.  Again, IMHO, which isn't even all that informed, just a modeler like the rest of you.

ArtinCA

• Crew
  • Get over it, they're not going to make that!
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2021, 02:12:26 PM »
Fortunite in Eastern Iowa as well...

Great people. My daughter lived above the shop for awhile. She loved her. I haven't been over there in awhile, need to next time I have a call in the area.
Art in Iowa
Modeling in N scale
Go full foobie or go home!!
http://adventuresinmodeling.blogspot.com/