Author Topic: Looking to Print a Caboose...  (Read 28127 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Looking to Print a Caboose...
« on: August 14, 2020, 05:49:42 PM »
A B&O I5 wood caboose, to be precise...

https://www.hebners.net/Caboose/bocowm/boC2050c.jpg

@SkipGear@brokemoto@Chris333 ?

A quick scan of shapeways produced nothing.  I have an Ender printer, but I don't trust myself to draw up a workable file.
Especially if someone already has one on file somewhere...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

GimpLizard

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
Re: Looking to Print a Caboose...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 02:29:59 PM »
Lee,

I'm willing to give it a shot, for you. I've spent the last 30 years designing product and tooling in the rubber/plastic molding industry. I'm retiring the end of next week, so I'll have lots of time to work on it. But I'll need some prototype drawings to work from. Email me at madpilot88c@gmail.com and we can talk about.

Mike

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +181
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 02:53:47 PM »
I do not have a file or drawing.  If someone does one, I will buy several.  Currently, I am running waggontops on my pike, although the wood one would fit the concept better.

You do understand, of course, that once someone does the kit and we actually build one, some manufacturer will offer them R-T-R.  I built one of those J'n'J waggontops,. finally, and Fox Valley announced its waggontop a day or two later.

GimpLizard

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 03:11:27 PM »
I just did a web search and only found one drawing. But it's not clear enough to read any of the dimensions. There's plenty of prototype photos, though.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 03:46:04 PM »
This guy seems to have visions of doing a model, assumed HO, but wow, look at all the information.

No indication of this is being done as a laser kit, or a print, or what, but if it's a print, I'd see if he wanted to do it in N.

http://www.springmillsdepot.com/i-5details.htm

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 04:25:23 PM »
This guy seems to have visions of doing a model, assumed HO, but wow, look at all the information.

No indication of this is being done as a laser kit, or a print, or what, but if it's a print, I'd see if he wanted to do it in N.

http://www.springmillsdepot.com/i-5details.htm

Spring Mills products are normally injection molded and HO. They only sell direct.

https://mrr.trains.com/news-reviews/staff-reviews/2017/04/spring-mills-depot-ho-wagontop-hopper

Mark

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 04:36:14 PM »
Do scale drawings of the caboose exist?

GimpLizard

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 04:40:40 PM »
Do scale drawings of the caboose exist?

I checked the B&O historical society and didn't see anything. There might be some in one or more of the books that they sell. Though I didn't see anything specifically mentioned.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 05:27:41 PM »
Maybe very old issues of MR for drawings? Anyone have the DVD.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 05:33:39 PM »

GimpLizard

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 07:05:31 PM »
Low res: http://www.trainweb.org/EnigmaLIX/caboose%201c.JPG

Thanks. That's the one I found earlier, that I can't quite read.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 10:28:28 PM »
There is a less detailed drawing with readable overall dimensions in "Cabooses - Photos and Diagrams" by Dwight Jones.  I can try to scan it tomorrow and PM it to whoever wants to work on the drafting for a 3D print.  There are actually 2 visibly distinct versions I-5 and I-5c, which had the trucks moved towards the ends, so that the bolsters went from 15' - 0" to 19' - 0" spacing.  There is also an I-5d diagram, which looks to me like the I-5c.  But, its diagram has some dimensions on it that are not given on the I-5c diagram, so I should send all 3.

GimpLizard

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 08:53:18 AM »
There is a less detailed drawing with readable overall dimensions in "Cabooses - Photos and Diagrams" by Dwight Jones.  I can try to scan it tomorrow and PM it to whoever wants to work on the drafting for a 3D print.  There are actually 2 visibly distinct versions I-5 and I-5c, which had the trucks moved towards the ends, so that the bolsters went from 15' - 0" to 19' - 0" spacing.  There is also an I-5d diagram, which looks to me like the I-5c.  But, its diagram has some dimensions on it that are not given on the I-5c diagram, so I should send all 3.

Thanks. Send me all 3.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2020, 09:51:37 AM »
OK, I sent the 3 scans of I-5 caboose diagrams to GimpLizard and WM3798.

It needs to be noted that "diagrams" are not necessarily scale drawings.  For instance the diagrams of B&O buildings in the B&O Standard Plans books are drawn to look almost like scale drawings, but the roof lines were actually drawn at a 30-degree angle (because that is easy to do with a standard 30-60-90 draftsman's triangle) and an note on an arrow pointing to the roof says "1/3 pitch", which is actually how they were built and is equivalent to 33.69 degrees.  These diagrams of I-5 cabooses are much less like scale drawings, but they do have dimensions that can't be read on that image of a real scale drawing.

So, I suggested that the dimensions provided in these diagrams be used with the unreadable scale drawing and photos to get the proper dimensions for details, rather than trying to scale details off these diagram drawings.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 11:06:32 AM »
+1
Looks like another Railwire collaboration is afoot!
Thanks for all the feedback!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net