Author Topic: Looking to Print a Caboose...  (Read 28128 times)

GimpLizard

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
Re: Looking to Print a Caboose...
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2020, 01:06:56 PM »
Thanks Maletrain. These will work just fine. Now comes the hard (but fun) part.

Mike

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 01:50:26 PM »
For what it's worth, I did a little scaling.  By using the datum of 64" between axles on the truck (from the diagram) to get a scale of 1:52.416 on my print of the scale drawing, I measured the board spacing on the caboose side in the scale drawing and got 3.33", which scales to 0.020" in N scale, just right for the Evergreen plastic materials.   :D

I have been thinking about making an I-1 and an I-5 for quite a while.  Now I can start concentrating more on the I-1 and leave the I-5 to the experts.  :)

GimpLizard

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2020, 04:25:59 PM »
+1
Well, here's the basic shell. It's still a work in process. A lot to do yet, but it's a start.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Lee, I'm going to PM you an .stl file of this, if you'd care to do a test print. I'm particularly interested to see how the siding comes out. The 'V' grooves are only .003" wide x .0015 deep. If I go any larger they look absolutely gigantic.

Mike

GimpLizard

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 04:34:59 PM »
OK, maybe I'm not going to PM you the .stl file. Can't see where I can upload the file. (Or maybe I'm just a dolt, and can't figure it out?  :facepalm:) If you PM me your email I can get it to you that way.

Mike

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4595
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 04:37:17 PM »
OK, maybe I'm not going to PM you the .stl file. Can't see where I can upload the file. (Or maybe I'm just a dolt, and can't figure it out?  :facepalm:) If you PM me your email I can get it to you that way.

Mike

It is not you. Forum does not host STL files.  You will have to find a way to share it another way (like email or Dropbox).

And while I'm all against wide and deep board gaps, for 3D printing you might have to make them a bit larger (especially the depth).
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 04:53:05 PM »
In HOn30 I draw my board gaps 0.010" deep and wide because they will fill in a bit.

GimpLizard

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 05:38:17 PM »
.... for 3D printing you might have to make them a bit larger (especially the depth).

Thanks Peteski. I was afraid of that. I was looking at the specs of the Photon printer, and thought... juuuuust maybe... I could get  away with a finer line.

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2020, 05:56:55 PM »
Re the basic shell graphic posted:

The B&O I-5 series cabooses seem to nearly universally have had single-pane windows.  But, save that graphic for the I-1 series, which did have 4-pane windows, at least until they were rebuilt a few times.

Also, note that the ends of the I-5s are steel, while the I-1s were still wood.

Let me know if you need a picture of something, and I will try to dig one out.  (I am not in the B&O archives, but I have been collecting research on these cabooses for a while.)

GimpLizard

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2020, 06:31:09 PM »
Re the basic shell graphic posted:

The B&O I-5 series cabooses seem to nearly universally have had single-pane windows. 

I just ran through a bunch of photos and saw that. Fortunately it's no bid real to remove them. I noticed that the sills & headers varied a bit, too.

Mike

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 11:55:59 AM »
Came into this a little late I see. I have drawings for an I-1 someplace. I used them to fix an old Fox Valley Model laser cut kit that never made it to production. Matt sent me some of the parts to play with that were too tall and I came up with this.

Tony Hines

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2020, 12:07:56 PM »
+3
finished model...

Tony Hines

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2020, 12:27:12 PM »
Nice, Tony.

That model of an I-1 has the full-width platform and vertical steps that were applied in later years.  They originally had "passenger car" type steps which reduced the width of the end platforms. 

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2020, 12:30:59 PM »
This was built in 2006. I cast the steps in resin after many failed attempts at making 4 steps that all looked alike. I still have another set of the the parts that I was going to build as an original I-1 but started down the path of building JNJ wagontops, until Matt at FVM saved me from that task be releasing them RTR. I built close to 20 JNJ wagontops for myself and various people.
Tony Hines

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5403
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2020, 01:51:48 PM »
That's the car!  I'd like to have at least one with the divided light windows.  Just has more character, I think, even if it lacks prototype fidelity.
Surprising these never made it into plastic.  While they're pretty iconic B&O cars, the center cupola wood caboose ethos could be applied to any eastern road without stretching the imagination too much...  certainly less than a Santa Fe type caboose with Penn Central green or a Capitol Dome on it...

I guess the early Rapido wood caboose and later the one from Micro Trains filled that Rx for N scale all those years ago...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2020, 01:54:46 PM »
+2
... certainly less than a Santa Fe type caboose with Penn Central green or a Capitol Dome on it...

http://edslaw.org/