Author Topic: Let's see your Corona projects  (Read 54490 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

johnb

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1786
  • Respect: +969
    • My blog
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2020, 04:52:47 PM »
+3
My main complaint about operating the Playa Desnuda branch is that there is no way to have the train roll in, switch the industries, then leave town. I am looking at at adding the fictitious Washington Blvd. Yard.

Linda Sand drew up this yard for the 1999 Model Railroad Planning magazine and it will be the basis of my yard



I am still open for recommendations...14"x48"

altohorn25

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 958
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4524
    • Mini Mod u Trak
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2020, 07:28:25 PM »
+8
Green Bay and Western FA1's.  I started with the newest version of the Life-Like FA1.  I had to do a bit of modifications to the shell to match the prototype:  removed the single chime air horns and replaced with a 3 chime,  filled in the hole in the roof from the other single horn, cut out parts of the grills in the upper car body and then plated them over with styrene to match the prototype.  Added a dual sealed beam headlight to the nose door.  I'll use a MT true scale coupler in the nose of the lead unit, true scale couplers between the A units, and a 1015 on the nose of the trailing unit.  I have the first one primed and ready for paint (as soon as my paint comes in the mail).  Charlie Vlk and Matthew Welke are going to help me out with decals when I get to that point.  I plan on doing two or three for myself and two for a buddy of mine.  The first one is progressing nicely.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

Tallmatt

  • Posts: 16
  • Respect: +17
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2020, 12:17:58 AM »
+2
Finally got round to resizing some lumbar wrap templates I found online - 8 centre beams and 5 bulkhead flats to go!

BCR 570

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2470
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +5015
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2020, 01:28:01 AM »
+5
My two CC&F trailer flatcars are progressing well, and now have coupler pockets, end sills, and treadplate on the running plates:




More in the build thread:  https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=21968.90

Great to see lots of great modelling during this time; thank goodness for our hobby!


Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

jjb62556

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 326
  • Gender: Male
  • cn1040gmd1@gmail.com
  • Respect: +56
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2020, 09:02:01 AM »
0
Are you doing the FA1's for KGB&W ?

fcnrwy23

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 431
  • Home of the FCN
  • Respect: +617
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2020, 02:08:44 PM »
+1
With time on hand,  I had planned this Saturday morning, to finish some projects.  One, was to finish the decalling the dozen or so remaining Thrall Coal hoppers, marked for the FCN's sister railway, the Fording & Eastern (FGEN). 



The Decals are from CircusCity.  They are the "Freelanced" Hopper set.  Though, that set is for Covered Hoppers I thought of trying them on Open ones.  The Yellow "Safety stripes" and consolidated lube plates  are Microscale.

As I was planning for the above project last night, I decided to go through ALL of my Surplus Inventory....



and decided to reduce my inventory of surplus locomotives.   ALL nine of the EMD's are going.  The five, GE C30-7s are in for maintenance and paint touch-up.  The two Blue C30s and the three BXX-7s are current projects.
ALL of the EMD shells seen here in the foreground, have already been placed on "that" auction site.  The GP chassis's on the left, will be parted-out . With two of the Atlas "Slow Speed" motors going into Atlas SD50/60 chassis that I will be cobbling together from the last of the parts, that I have on hand for those types units..  And they too will go onto the auction site. When I am done it will be, pretty much ALL GE...

Jerry G.

altohorn25

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 958
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4524
    • Mini Mod u Trak
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2020, 07:42:03 PM »
0
Progress on my GB&W FA1's

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

bdennis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 557
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2020, 10:29:24 PM »
+2
More progress on my JMRI panel. Setting up NX routes.
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

OldEastRR

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3785
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +516
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2020, 05:37:45 AM »
+3
Since my NH RS3s are used for commuter service, I modified the Atlas version with steam generator stack and vent. I also replaced the stock dual headlights with one single beam lamp per pre-1956 versions. Drilled out a solid rod of plastic for the vent stack, made the rest of it out of bits of styrene.



The model also came with the later water-cooler turbocharger stack so I left that. Interesting that pictures showed some of these passenger units had silver steam generator stacks and turbocharger vents and the model came with a black one. So I painted them silver. The number is wrong for this loco but I'll change that eventually.
 


Still need to put an equipment box behind the cab on this side, plus bend in the handrail to the body. The NH RS3s had this variation; one of the body door panels should also be removed but I'm debating how to do that. Also have to re-install the short nose horn.

The info on this modification was in an MR from the early '80s -- I saved the article but didn't the published date.

johnb

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1786
  • Respect: +969
    • My blog
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #144 on: April 01, 2020, 05:11:19 PM »
+1
So…I have rotated the layout 180°, this will allow me to add a staging track and build a functional junction, making an interchange yard….

this is placing Playa Desnuda Shell on the front of the layout, and on the other side!

I also built the benchwork for the extension, and with COVID19 having us on lockdown, it was built out of recycled MDF and a mini pallet.

BCRail_FSJ

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 357
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +553
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2020, 05:56:10 PM »
+6
Taking advantage of week 1 of  New Zealand's full lock down to ballast the entirety of Fort St John yard.



Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

cbroughton67

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 547
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1723
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2020, 10:11:10 PM »
+5

I've been working on a  13" x 9" (you read that correctly) HOn30 micro layout. It's a layout design that was born from a design challenge and shared in the Micro/Small Model RR Layouts group on Facebook. The track plan was designed by Rob Chant. It looked like a fun challenge, and after being left without adult supervision in a craft store, I came home with the requisite 13" x 9" football display case. The rest is history. I started a build thread here: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=49274.0






Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

altohorn25

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 958
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4524
    • Mini Mod u Trak
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2020, 11:01:53 PM »
+3
First of five Green Bay and Western FA1's is pretty much done (I may still paint the handrails yellow...we'll see how steady my hands are tomorrow).  Getting that curve correct on the nose was a major pain.  Thanks to Charlie Vlk for designing the decals and Matthew Welke for printing them.  I still need to add a decoder, but it runs very nicely on straight DC.  Only 4 more to go.....

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

Tallmatt

  • Posts: 16
  • Respect: +17
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2020, 03:34:16 AM »
+1
Taking advantage of week 1 of  New Zealand's full lock down to ballast the entirety of Fort St John yard.





Nice work - I got caught out on nights and ended up in lock down with no extra supplies! At least Auckland still wants me to fix trains.

mu26aeh

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5868
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +4871
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2020, 09:25:03 AM »
0



and decided to reduce my inventory of surplus locomotives.   ALL nine of the EMD's are going.  The five, GE C30-7s are in for maintenance and paint touch-up.  The two Blue C30s and the three BXX-7s are current projects.
ALL of the EMD shells seen here in the foreground, have already been placed on "that" auction site.  The GP chassis's on the left, will be parted-out . With two of the Atlas "Slow Speed" motors going into Atlas SD50/60 chassis that I will be cobbling together from the last of the parts, that I have on hand for those types units..  And they too will go onto the auction site. When I am done it will be, pretty much ALL GE...

Jerry G.

I spy a WM unit, which model/# is that ?  Is that on the to go list ?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:33:08 AM by mu26aeh »