Author Topic: Let's see your Corona projects  (Read 54499 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Iain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4893
  • Gender: Female
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +839
    • The Best Puppers
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2020, 10:52:42 AM »
0
Spill the beans; where'd you get those little things, and what's the site for the sounds?
I like ducks



Philip H

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9028
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1796
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2020, 11:23:10 AM »
+2


The paint rack is done.  Just need a KCS sticker for the side there.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.


carlso

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1129
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +514
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2020, 12:07:41 PM »
0
Spill the beans; where'd you get those little things, and what's the site for the sounds?

Well I am not sure about "posting rules" on this forum but here goes anyway.

The voltage regulator came from "Banggood", the mp3 player came from "pmdway". The sounds came from ""POND5".

I think pmdway (China) is the manufacturer, but not sure. I ordered two of them for a total of $7.90 US with mailing included back in January. They were delayed and shipped on 2/29/20, I received 03/10.

Google "pmdway MP3 Decoder Board with 2W Amplifier Module". There are several others selling these as well.

Hope this helps and that I have not violated a rule regarding non supporting vendors.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

VonRyan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3108
  • Gender: Male
  • Yes, No, Maybe So
  • Respect: +691
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2020, 01:22:46 PM »
0
Well I am not sure about "posting rules" on this forum but here goes anyway.

The voltage regulator came from "Banggood", the mp3 player came from "pmdway". The sounds came from ""POND5".

I think pmdway (China) is the manufacturer, but not sure. I ordered two of them for a total of $7.90 US with mailing included back in January. They were delayed and shipped on 2/29/20, I received 03/10.

Google "pmdway MP3 Decoder Board with 2W Amplifier Module". There are several others selling these as well.

Hope this helps and that I have not violated a rule regarding non supporting vendors.

Carl

Here at TRW we don’t have anything against siting your sources for cool project parts.

So drop some links if you’ve got ‘em.

A cheap DIY ambient sound player is something I can get into.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.

In Memoriam
Bill Kidd
Bill “Rep” Repholz
Erik Seidelmann

peteski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 35311
  • Gender: Male
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +6656
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2020, 02:04:21 PM »
0
This one project of mine is nowhere as fantastic as all of the above but it is helping me pass the days. All the bars are closed, so I can't say "it is keeping me out of the bars".

My refinery, on club layout, needed some appropriate sounds so I  have made them. I found a website with a plethora of "sounds", downloaded a number and put them together for 2 nice sound files. I made one unique to the inside plant sounds. The 2nd is for sounds around the main gate/loading rack area. What will I play them with. Two of these.......................


The right side is a voltage regulator with power out connected to the MP3 player. What you see here is a "work bench" set up so I can try different speakers. Qrtr to show relative sizes.

As always, having fun,
Carl

That sure is a fancy power supply (including LCD display), just to power a small device (probably just need 3V or 5V DC.  Something that in "old" days I would have built using 4 components.  Things were simpler back then.  Well, one can still do that, but these fancy ones are almost as cheap as those 3 components themselves.

And as it has been said, this forum has not rules about posting links to sources of your parts or items. Heck, there are members here who advertise their own small businesses for free.  Post away!
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11612
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2020, 02:28:25 PM »
0
Well I am not sure about "posting rules" on this forum but here goes anyway.

Generally post whatever you want except personal attacks (well, apparently at anyone but me) and politics. Oh, and don't be an ********.

So you're 100% in the clear here!

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12281
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11771
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2020, 03:05:21 PM »
0
Went to decal the tender of 375 just to have my remaining stock of engineer's side Flying Rio Grande heralds crack and curl.

Dammit.

alhoop

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 302
  • Respect: +29
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2020, 03:13:32 PM »
0
That sure is a fancy power supply (including LCD display), just to power a small device (probably just need 3V or 5V DC.  Something that in "old" days I would have built using 4 component................................. but these fancy ones are almost as cheap as those 3 components themselves.
.........................................................

As cheap or cheaper now - and all things(ripple , dropout etc are figured for you)
Al

wazzou

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6812
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1736
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2020, 03:15:52 PM »
0
Went to decal the tender of 375 just to have my remaining stock of engineer's side Flying Rio Grande heralds crack and curl.

Dammit.


If I even remotely feel that's a possibility, I hit the sheet with some Dullcote.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA


JMaurer1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1188
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +307
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2020, 11:04:47 AM »
0
Two words:

Essential employee

Most everyone where I work is home (major university) but someone has to make sure that the network is still working  :(
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26112
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11612
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2020, 11:28:24 AM »
+1
Two words:

Essential employee

Most everyone where I work is home (major university) but someone has to make sure that the network is still working  :(

Someone's gotta keep shoveling those bits into the firebox.

C855B

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11425
  • Respect: +2893
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2020, 11:32:09 AM »
0
If it's anything like the college here, Zoom is getting a helluva workout. Good luck!
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

Mark W

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1988
  • Respect: +2125
    • Free-moNebraska
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2020, 11:43:21 AM »
0
Someone's gotta keep shoveling those bits into the firebox Firefox.

Buh-dumfph.  :lol:
Contact me about custom model building.
Learn more about Free-moNebraska.
Learn more about HOn3-mo.

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12281
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11771
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2020, 11:58:42 AM »
+2
My 375 project hit a bunch of snags this week.  I'm taking a break from it.  In addition to the (now trivial) decal issue:

- The Chinese $1.49 can motor burned out.  Guess I shoulda seen that coming.  So replaced with original frame motor but now I can't seem to get it set with epoxy in a position where the worm gear meshes correctly with the idler.

- The axle gear somehow got loose on the axle.  I had tried to fix both with Walthers Goo and solder...both to no avail.  I happen to have another one on hand but bent the axle while mounting it.  Bent axle back to "good enough."  But, since reassembling all the wheels and rods, I've completely lost the smooth operation I had before.

- Crossheads have developed a bind where there was none before.

- I have no sound.  The Tsunami2 does everything else (motor control, headlight control, etc.) but unless I have two bad speakers (one sugar cube and one from a Blackstone K-27) then the decoder has a bad sound amplifier.  No luck contacting Soundtraxx today.  Yes, I resent all the volume CVs and the Function 8 on/off.

- While hunting for my two-part epoxy I reached into a box that included a large kitchen knife I use for carving foam.  Somehow it was resting blade-up.  Well...it went deep enough into my fingertip as to slice through my fingernail too.  So, had to go get stitches.

So...  It's probably time to box up the bits and put it away for a while.

Next project will likely be a structure...  A mine ore bin or--more likely--Trout Lake Tank.

CRL

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2345
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +643
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2020, 12:13:33 PM »
0
My 375 project hit a bunch of snags this week.  I'm taking a break from it.  In addition to the (now trivial) decal issue:

- The Chinese $1.49 can motor burned out.  Guess I shoulda seen that coming.  So replaced with original frame motor but now I can't seem to get it set with epoxy in a position where the worm gear meshes correctly with the idler.

- The axle gear somehow got loose on the axle.  I had tried to fix both with Walthers Goo and solder...both to no avail.  I happen to have another one on hand but bent the axle while mounting it.  Bent axle back to "good enough."  But, since reassembling all the wheels and rods, I've completely lost the smooth operation I had before.

- Crossheads have developed a bind where there was none before.

- I have no sound.  The Tsunami2 does everything else (motor control, headlight control, etc.) but unless I have two bad speakers (one sugar cube and one from a Blackstone K-27) then the decoder has a bad sound amplifier.  No luck contacting Soundtraxx today.  Yes, I resent all the volume CVs and the Function 8 on/off.

- While hunting for my two-part epoxy I reached into a box that included a large kitchen knife I use for carving foam.  Somehow it was resting blade-up.  Well...it went deep enough into my fingertip as to slice through my fingernail too.  So, had to go get stitches.

So...  It's probably time to box up the bits and put it away for a while.

Next project will likely be a structure...  A mine ore bin or--more likely--Trout Lake Tank.

Just another day at the ranch.