Author Topic: Let's see your Corona projects  (Read 45847 times)

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
Re: Let's see your Corona projects
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2020, 12:17:29 PM »
- While hunting for my two-part epoxy I reached into a box that included a large kitchen knife I use for carving foam.  Somehow it was resting blade-up.  Well...it went deep enough into my fingertip as to slice through my fingernail too.  So, had to go get stitches.

Damn, man!  Def time to take a break and come back refreshed.

conrad

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2020, 12:30:52 PM »
Here's my Corona project: Photos on TRW.

First is many thanks to Peteski for the detailed instructions on posting photos ("Uploading photos to the Railwire and attaching them to posts", 9/23/17).

Second, this is an off the web photo of Lima's Plymouth MDT that I use on JMRI.  Some time back I added a ESU nano decoder.  Runs on Kato Unitrack but not much else.

Finally, now to take photos, transfer to computer, set up a gallery and send them out.  My video equipment, don't laugh, is an android smart phone and/or the wife's Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W560 camera.

Conrad

conrad

• Crew
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2020, 12:32:04 PM »
Photo post worked, good.

Conrad

conrad

• Crew
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2020, 01:02:27 PM »

Set up Gallery per Peteski and added JMRI loco photos.  Here is one, another Lima.

Conrad

conrad

• Crew
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2020, 01:31:24 PM »
Forget Corona!

Working on new handrail for Lima Plymouth.  Just a bent piece of wire, painted white. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Humm, foreground blurry, background ok, hic.

Conrad

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2020, 03:07:06 PM »
While hunting for my two-part epoxy I reached into a box that included a large kitchen knife I use for carving foam.  Somehow it was resting blade-up.  Well...it went deep enough into my fingertip as to slice through my fingernail too.  So, had to go get stitches.

So...  It's probably time to box up the bits and put it away for a while.

Next project will likely be a structure...  A mine ore bin or--more likely--Trout Lake Tank.

sorry to hear about these things, especially when you are not feeling well.
add stitches and wow...that's a lot of stuff going on
i hope the healing progresses timely and will not get in the way of your structure build

take good care
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2020, 04:51:44 PM »
*snip* While hunting for my two-part epoxy I reached into a box that included a large kitchen knife I use for carving foam.  Somehow it was resting blade-up.  Well...it went deep enough into my fingertip as to slice through my fingernail too.  So, had to go get stitches. *Snip*

If I had a dollar for every time I did this......

New project being started......

oNe Track Module time. I had planned on doing an around the room layout for a while, Using the oNe Track standard as my regulating body. This would allow me to be able to easily take the layout with me if I move, and it would allow me to bring specific modules to Train shows if MRNS happens to set up a oNe Track Division off the mountain line. I had some extra lumber from building my N-Trak module, so I decided that no time is better than now to build the first Module. It's a plan old 4x1 module, and will be a station scene when everything is said and done. I'll be using one of the Northern Pacific Laser cut Class A Depots for the station. It's going to be very basic for scenery, and nothing too groundbreaking. I'm not following any particular prototype for the location, so I can call it "Skookumchuck," Which is a station that never existed.
Here is a few pictures.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I have a few more things to take care of here at my house, then I think I may go back to my dad's wood shop, and waste the last of the lumber I have to make another 4x1, and as many 3' corners as I can. I'm building the 3' corners as 45 degree sections..... Stay tuned.....
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

hegstad1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2020, 05:20:32 PM »
If I had a dollar for every time I did this......

New project being started......

oNe Track Module time. I had planned on doing an around the room layout for a while, Using the oNe Track standard as my regulating body. This would allow me to be able to easily take the layout with me if I move, and it would allow me to bring specific modules to Train shows if MRNS happens to set up a oNe Track Division off the mountain line. I had some extra lumber from building my N-Trak module, so I decided that no time is better than now to build the first Module. It's a plan old 4x1 module, and will be a station scene when everything is said and done. I'll be using one of the Northern Pacific Laser cut Class A Depots for the station. It's going to be very basic for scenery, and nothing too groundbreaking. I'm not following any particular prototype for the location, so I can call it "Skookumchuck," Which is a station that never existed.
Here is a few pictures.

I have a few more things to take care of here at my house, then I think I may go back to my dad's wood shop, and waste the last of the lumber I have to make another 4x1, and as many 3' corners as I can. I'm building the 3' corners as 45 degree sections..... Stay tuned.....

This will be good Mike!
Andrew Hegstad

x600

• Crew
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2020, 10:25:45 PM »
Yeh Mike it will really be "Skookum".  :trollface:

Greg O.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 10:45:57 PM by x600 »

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1420
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2020, 10:26:45 PM »
+9
This one has its own thread, but it is in fact my Corona project. Just a few more details to add, then off to the paint booth. Decoder should be here early next week.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2020, 12:28:05 AM »
+4
OH DEAR GOD! THE MODULES ARE MULTIPLYING!!

Seriously though, I decided to take advantage of one last day of freedom before the lock-down starts on Weds night. Of course, I will be at work, hence why today is my last day. I went back to my dad's wood shop, and burned up the last of my materials. I have some smaller pieces of plywood left, but I am out of 1'x4's now. I think I have enough plywood to make the other 4' module I am planning, but that has to wait until I get the bridge kit, because that dictates the shape of the module.

Annnnnnnyways.....
I build 2 45 degree corners, together they take up a footprint of 3'x3'. I'm keeping them as 2 separate modules, and I'm going to make sure that the scenery don't depend on each other to look right. I have an idea to make a roadway overpass, but I, thinking that I may need to wait and make that as a 90' corner module. I dunno, I will have to play with a few ideas. I have some other ideas if the overpass idea doesn't pan out. I still need to make at least 2 more corners like this, and I see a few places to make some changes on how I built these modules to make my life easier with the next builds.

I think I have enough work to keep my busy on my down time now. I just need to order some ME code 55.....
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2020, 07:08:23 AM »
+1
Building a test JMRI panel to test NX routing and signal logic.
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2020, 11:23:41 AM »
- While hunting for my two-part epoxy I reached into a box that included a large kitchen knife I use for carving foam.  Somehow it was resting blade-up.  Well...it went deep enough into my fingertip as to slice through my fingernail too.  So, had to go get stitches.

Why stitches, you already had epoxy there. Sure, CA works better (can't tell you how many times I've CAed a cut back together), but other than waiting for the epoxy to set, it's almost the same thing.

Still essential, still at work (doing nothing except reading the boards), still shoveling those bits into the network firebox.
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2020, 11:52:21 AM »
Why stitches, you already had epoxy there. Sure, CA works better (can't tell you how many times I've CAed a cut back together), but other than waiting for the epoxy to set, it's almost the same thing.

Still essential, still at work (doing nothing except reading the boards), still shoveling those bits into the network firebox.

Too deep for CA.

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2020, 04:39:20 PM »
First off: Dave, definitely the right decision to put 375 aside.  Sometimes you just have to walk away.  I've learned that if I try to power through projects that are starting to go sideways, I just get more aggravated, and then more stuff goes wrong.

As for me, I'm not sure what my next project is now that the HOn3 D&RGW caboose is finished.  I'm a little leery of ordering supplies for an entirely new project, since I don't know how reliably places will be able to ship product with all the stay-at-home orders going into effect.  I have some things boxed up, both model RR related and not, that I may be able to start.  I may just work on getting my N scale running again, after 5 or so years of sitting idle.  If I go that route I'll take more layout photos with my newer camera to share with you guys.

Also, my life situation is somewhat unique:  My work situation would be comical, if it wasn't so absurd.  After 14 years working for Boulder County govt, and having to deal with 4 crappy managers in the last couple of years, I decided I had enough savings, and my investments were doing well . . . and the unemployment rate was only 1.9%, that taking a hiatus from employment was doable.  I quit my job in early January.  I love international travel, and typically go overseas a couple of times a year.  So the plan was to take a couple of trips, go on a road trip in June (with a week in Durango and a week in Chama), and then figure out a way to reenter the workforce in the then-thriving travel arena, ideally as a guide overseas, or something of that nature.

. . .  enter COVID-19.  My travel plans were thrown out the window, the unemployment rate is skyrocketing, my investments have taken a huge hit, and the travel industry has practically ceased to exist.  While I have plenty of free time, and to date don't regret quitting my job, I'm hoping things don't go on long enough that I'll regret not having the guaranteed paycheck of a government job.  I still have decent savings, but the reality of how I'll be able to reenter the workforce is vastly different than it was a couple of months ago.  It's not time to worry yet, so I'm doing my best not too!  But man, talk about shitty timing.

Erik