Author Topic: ESU micro v5-- can't write new sound data  (Read 5503 times)

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
ESU micro v5-- can't write new sound data
« on: February 29, 2020, 06:04:47 PM »
Bottom Line:
I CAN write decoder CV data.

But I cannot write SOUND data.  Get an error message every time.

What I have:
Micro v5 decoder, Lokprogrammer, Laptop, Windows 7, Lokprogrammer software 5.0.11 (latest) and template pack installed.

I successfully installed the Soo Line Mikado steam loco file into the Micro v5.

But now I can’t change sounds (like whistle).

I get error messages trying it different ways.

Method 1 with error msg.:

Open software.
Chose the opening script- "Completely rewrite decoder."
Select the file I want (same as Soo Line, except has different whistle.)

All works until:
"writing decoder data"….
Then get error msg:  unhandled exception…. System out of memory

--------

Method 2:
click on Soo Line project file from ESU (same one already on the decoder)
This opens software.
Choose Sounds button on left
Choose sound slot 3 whistles
then click on whistles folder in right pane
then choose the one I want from the template pack
Left arrow to put it in sound slot 3.
click red music note up top- write sound data.
Asks me:  Changing format? To Micro v5 DCC (which is what I had already). 
Proceed

Error- The current project is too large for the decoder

Any help appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:52:23 AM by u18b »
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
  • Respect: +425
Re: ESU micro v5-- can't write new sound data
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 07:55:04 PM »
Try deleting the original whistle from the project. Whatever whistle you added pushed the size of the file over the available memory. Make sure you didn’t add the entire template to the project.
Rick Brodzinsky
Chief Engineer - JACALAR Railroad
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

Sharky_McSharknose

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 02:18:06 PM »
Is the decoder firmware set to the latest available? With a new decoder,  I always update the decoder firmware in LokProgrammer before doing anything else with it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 09:00:17 PM by Sharky_McSharknose »

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 04:17:07 PM »
I haven't dabbled much with V5 programming yet, but I did have some error messages with pre V5 programming that I think may have been attributed, at least in part, to having the LokProgrammer opened up in more than one window at the same time.

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 09:04:06 PM »
Try deleting the original whistle from the project. Whatever whistle you added pushed the size of the file over the available memory. Make sure you didn’t add the entire template to the project.

Tried that.
Didn't work.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 09:06:13 PM »
Is the decoder firmware set to the latest available? With a new decoder,  I always update the decoder firmware in LokProgrammer before doing anything else with it.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Tried it.
Decoder already up to date.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 09:07:06 PM »
I haven't dabbled much with V5 programming yet, but I did have some error messages with pre V5 programming that I think may have been attributed, at least in part, to having the LokProgrammer opened up in more than one window at the same time.

Only one window in my case.

Perplexing and frustrating.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4595
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 10:46:08 PM »
Ron, the error states "unhandled exception…. System out of memory"
Is it possible that the problem is . . .what the error indicates?  Your computer has insufficient memory (RAM)?

What type of hardware are you running the LokProgrammer on?  How much RAM does your computer have?

Maybe you have bunch of other programs running at the same time?  Maybe the antivirus program (if you are running one) is interfering with LokProgrammer?

If you start Windows Task Manager, then look at the Performance tab, what does it show for Physical Memory?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:50:52 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 03:46:14 PM »
Hi Pete,  (and others)

I thought of that, but don't see how.
Win 7 laptop with 4 gig should be enough.
With about 1.5 gig of memory left at any given time.

And the file I'm dealing with is only 22 meg.  Not a big file at all.

I took screen shots of the errors.

Here is the first one.
I just don't understand this one.   I thought you were supposed to overwrite new sounds into the decoder.
I followed the directions, so this stumps me.  It's acting like- Hey the decoder is almost full and now you want to ADD stuff?   Instead of replacing stuff.

Here is the memory error.  I run task manager/processes monitor.  As you can see, there is a ton of memory left available.   This strikes me ask some kind of bug in the program.

And here's the details box opened up.

I posted a question on the ESU forum, but I confess I'm disappointed they have not responded.    They leave no other possibility for help besides the forum.

All disappointing.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 04:01:48 PM »
Ron, did you post on the LokSound Group.IO  or on the ESU owned forum?  The latter is out of Germany, and really doesn't provide any support that I have ever been able to tell.  The former is very reactive, though this is a weird error and no one may have an answer, but Matt Herman does monitor it.  Also, try the Facebook group; the ESU US team monitors there, too.

Of course, you can always call Alex (Matt's son) at the ESU service number. He is really good, and says "I don't know" rather than giving BS if he really doesn't know.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

RBrodzinsky

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 04:03:39 PM »
Another idea -- try starting with base project direct from the ESU site, and make all your sound changes in there.  Save it, and then and only then, write to the decoder.  Let the software make any changes necessary for the Micro DCC.   Worth a try.
Rick Brodzinsky
Silicon Valley FreeMo-N

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 04:07:32 PM »
Hi Ron.

So, here's how I'd do the troubleshooting for this.  You may have already done some or all of this.

1.  Unplug the LokProgrammer from your serial port.  Reboot the computer, plug the LokProgrammer back in, then re-start the LokProgrammer software.  Now try loading the file again.

2.  If 1 doesn't work, do 1 again, but this time download a "known good" file from ESU's web site.  Practically any diesel LokSound 5 file will do for this.  Now try to load THIS file on your decoder.  If it loads, you've got a corrupt sound file.

3.  If 2 doesn't work, and you have a spare decoder, try the steps in 2 again and try loading the known good file in your spare decoder (this step is to check to see if it is the decoder that is the problem, or your LokProgrammer software/hardware).  If you are successful with the load, then try your problem file in the spare decoder.  If it loads in the spare decoder, you have a decoder problem.  If you are unsuccessful, then I'd suspect some weird interaction between your file and the LokProgrammer software.  I'd uninstall the software and reinstall it, then try again.  Still no go?  Then I'd ditch the file and start over with a clean file.

John C.

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 04:15:23 PM »
Another idea -- try starting with base project direct from the ESU site, and make all your sound changes in there.  Save it, and then and only then, write to the decoder.  Let the software make any changes necessary for the Micro DCC.   Worth a try.

Yep... I thought of that too and already tried that.

I downloaded the following steam file (they only have two for American steam).
From the Loksound 5 family, USA, Steam....
Soo Line Mikado.
File #S0574
From this page:  http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/18?type=steam&order=date

This is the SAME file that I already loaded into the blank decoder.

I then...
took that stock file and made one and only one change.  I moved a new steam whistle from the Template into the Sound slot for Whistles (sound slot 3 I think).

I then saved the file with a new name.
When I try to write this new file into the sound of the decoder, I get error messages.

Once again.... the programmer talks to the decoder.  And I can change CVs all day long (I've even finally made enough tweaks to CVs, that it sounds closer to a Shay.).   The problem only creeps in when I try to re-write the SOUND files on the decoder.

It's possible of course, that I'm doing something wrong.... but I don't see how.   There aren't that many options.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 04:20:52 PM »
Hi John, my comments in red....

Hi Ron.

So, here's how I'd do the troubleshooting for this.  You may have already done some or all of this.

1.  Unplug the LokProgrammer from your serial port.  Reboot the computer, plug the LokProgrammer back in, then re-start the LokProgrammer software.  Now try loading the file again.

already tried.

2.  If 1 doesn't work, do 1 again, but this time download a "known good" file from ESU's web site.  Practically any diesel LokSound 5 file will do for this.  Now try to load THIS file on your decoder.  If it loads, you've got a corrupt sound file.

That's a good suggestion.  The micro v5 is installed in a Shay, but I could try to load a stock GP38 file and see if it will overwrite what's there now.

3.  If 2 doesn't work, and you have a spare decoder, try the steps in 2 again and try loading the known good file in your spare decoder (this step is to check to see if it is the decoder that is the problem, or your LokProgrammer software/hardware).  If you are successful with the load, then try your problem file in the spare decoder.  If it loads in the spare decoder, you have a decoder problem.  If you are unsuccessful, then I'd suspect some weird interaction between your file and the LokProgrammer software.  I'd uninstall the software and reinstall it, then try again.  Still no go?  Then I'd ditch the file and start over with a clean file.

This is my first ESU decoder, so I don't have a spare.
But I do want to eventually put a micro v5 in my Athearn Challenger.   So I may buy another when I save some more pennies.

John C.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 04:30:55 PM »
Just a thought and to be honest I’m not sure if the following is related in anyway but I’ve had similar “ out of memory” messages on my work programs (nothing to do with esu and sound files) that is Caused when my computer cache is full and needs clearing. 
Also when loading the file do you check the box to overwrite the default
Steve