Author Topic: ESU micro v5-- can't write new sound data  (Read 5495 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4591
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: ESU micro v5-- can't write new sound data
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2020, 09:44:53 PM »
Two of my three recent failures had dealer installed sound files.

Then as I mentioned, maybe they did not follow proper decoder handling procedures.  In that case they would be at fault.  Were those decoders DOA, out of the box?
. . . 42 . . .

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2020, 10:30:43 PM »
Yes, I could never program the locomotive number because the DCC system kept shorting out and resetting. The decoders had a short in them. This experience prompted me to invest in my own programmer.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4591
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2020, 11:56:39 PM »
Yes, I could never program the locomotive number because the DCC system kept shorting out and resetting. The decoders had a short in them. This experience prompted me to invest in my own programmer.

That is odd.
 In my experience improper handling (and zapping electronics with static electricity) usually "bricks" the decoders (cause the microcontroller not to function). So you cannot read/write CVs or some other weird behavior.  Shorting the DCC system is not sometime I would expect.  :|
. . . 42 . . .