Author Topic: BLI F3 & F7 Rerun  (Read 8359 times)

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
BLI F3 & F7 Rerun
« on: January 22, 2020, 07:01:52 PM »
+3
BLI announced a rerun of the N scale F3 and F7, due next month.  I have seen the ad nauseam discussion from the original release with a few issues.  I have heard from others that they have been happy with their BLI F units.  Anyone owners of the original run care to discuss your experience with the locos?  Also, anyone have any idea if BLI has addressed any of the issues noted from the original run?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:36:09 AM by GaryHinshaw »

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Re: BLI F3 & F7 Rerun
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 10:09:16 PM »
+1
Doug, I have two AB F3 sets I ordered sight unseen with the screwed up side panel openings, see below. I also ordered two more sets and use them under some old Kato F7 unit shells for power and sound. I’m happy with their performance and I’m one of those who like the Paragon 3 sound effects and find their programming a piece of cake. Hardwiring the A’s and B’s does improve conductivity dramatically.

Would I buy more? Sure. But I sure hope BLI fixed the F3 shells, like they did with their announced but held off HO versions. I would be even more impressed if BLI made replacement shells available for a nominal price, like Intermountain did with their F units once they realized they had their roofs and sides backwards...One can hope.
Otto K.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 10:26:58 PM »
Well, it doesn’t look good: the announcement photo has the same old sidepanel openings in reverse.
The HO graphics show the body openings correctly. Pics below. If BLI rereleases the same messed up N scale shell, but correct the HO version, I’ll be really pissed 😬
Otto K.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 01:18:04 AM »
                  :|  I have two sets of UP F-3's aside from the incorrect side grills, they run very nicely, are easy to program and the sound is very good.  :|  Nate Goodman . (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 05:02:29 PM »
Doug, I have two AB F3 sets I ordered sight unseen with the screwed up side panel openings, see below. I also ordered two more sets and use them under some old Kato F7 unit shells for power and sound. I’m happy with their performance and I’m one of those who like the Paragon 3 sound effects and find their programming a piece of cake. Hardwiring the A’s and B’s does improve conductivity dramatically.

Would I buy more? Sure. But I sure hope BLI fixed the F3 shells, like they did with their announced but held off HO versions. I would be even more impressed if BLI made replacement shells available for a nominal price, like Intermountain did with their F units once they realized they had their roofs and sides backwards...One can hope.
Otto K.
Given the price, unless my tax refund is more than I anticipate, I am probably not in the market for these, but.....maybe.  I think, in any case, I will wait until I see photos of the new ones- would not want to end up with grab iron ladders all over the nose like the last run of SF F7s, or with F3s shells that are wrong. 

And the disclaimer "*Specifications on this page subject to change." on a page asking for pre-orders strikes me as ... well, as one reason I don't pre-order very often.

The last part of Otto's post sent me to my locomotive box to check on IM F's.  I think mine are ok.  When you say "roofs and sides backwards" do you mean incorrectly placed dynamics and portholes?  If so, mine are all in the right places, and I will strike that off the list of things to worry about.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 05:15:21 PM »

And the disclaimer "*Specifications on this page subject to change." on a page asking for pre-orders strikes me as ... well, as one reason I don't pre-order very often.

The last part of Otto's post sent me to my locomotive box to check on IM F's.  I think mine are ok.  When you say "roofs and sides backwards" do you mean incorrectly placed dynamics and portholes?  If so, mine are all in the right places, and I will strike that off the list of things to worry about.

Yea, I’m not preordering, based on my last experience, until I see an actual photo, either.
As to the IM F units, that was quite a few years ago and they corrected it. The sides on their F7’s were initially reversed relative to the roof and nose. I still have those shells somewhere...
Otto

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 06:15:10 PM »
+1

Yea, I’m not preordering, based on my last experience, until I see an actual photo, either.
As to the IM F units, that was quite a few years ago and they corrected it. The sides on their F7’s were initially reversed relative to the roof and nose. I still have those shells somewhere...
Otto

So, two independent model companies made the same mistake?!?!  Hey, maybe the prototype is actually wrong, and whatever blueprints the model manufacturers used were correct?  :D  :D  ;)
. . . 42 . . .

propmeup1

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 06:40:25 PM »
I have one F3 and a A-B power combo F7 which I made into Reading.  I like them but I find them slippery with little traction. A little frog snot works and the A-B pulls 36 empty hoppers.  The single A is PRR and I run that with a Bachmann SD-9. That's a good looking set with the same empty hopper consist.  I'll pick up more but I really wish they would give us the Q2. I seen one on Brasstrains for $2495.    I love those T1s now that they have new decoders and are running great.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 07:38:37 PM »

Otto
Thanks Otto.  My concern was due to having purchased several of my locos used and/or via the big auction site.  And it would be just like me to let a BIG error get by me, while worrying over whether the screen mesh size on an F3 is too large or small.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 08:40:34 PM »
So, two independent model companies made the same mistake?!?!  Hey, maybe the prototype is actually wrong, and whatever blueprints the model manufacturers used were correct?  :D  :D  ;)

Very funny Pete, but they didn’t make the same mistake. IM put the correct and beautifully rendered sides on the wrong side of the body; right on left and vice versa. BLI just ‘effed up. And IM fixed it; we’ll see about BLI. I do hope they do
Photo of the two IM versions below. I’ll let you figure out which one is the right one😜
Otto K.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 08:49:12 PM »
I thought the issue on the IM units was just a backwards roof on the F7 b units.

Jason

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 09:42:56 PM »
Very funny Pete, but they didn’t make the same mistake. IM put the correct and beautifully rendered sides on the wrong side of the body; right on left and vice versa. BLI just ‘effed up. And IM fixed it; we’ll see about BLI. I do hope they do
Photo of the two IM versions below. I’ll let you figure out which one is the right one😜
Otto K.

Yeah, I was just having some fun.
The bottom unit in the photo is correct (but I cheated and looked at some photos of the 1:1 units).
. . . 42 . . .

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 10:03:13 PM »
Would be great if they added proper weight to the front of the units I had to fill mine with 1oz. Of tungsten putty to get the pulling power decent.
With the Kato Broadway and E8s with loksound coming I'm out on these Fs for now.....
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 10:17:42 PM »
Yeah, I was just having some fun.
The bottom unit in the photo is correct (but I cheated and looked at some photos of the 1:1 units).

Yippee, you get a cookie Pete, next time you’re out this way😁
And yes, if one flipped the roof, it would be correct. Or flip the sides. Or get a free replacement from the manufacturer, like IM, that would be really classy😜
Otto K.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 08:48:33 AM »
+1
I'm going to have to give these another look. The first run units I bought were a total fiasco.

-Mark