Author Topic: Bluford Shops Bay Window Cabooses Have Arrived  (Read 6298 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Bluford Shops Bay Window Cabooses Have Arrived
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 06:21:03 PM »
... Of course, I then realized I should've gotten the other since it's my zipcode... lol. In time, I am sure.

I wouldn't procrastinate - everything nowadays is a limited run. Once gone, they a re gone forever.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 07:57:35 PM »
+1
They just appeared on ModelTrainStuff. I grabbed a Conrail one (the one I could readily find photos of online). Of course, I then realized I should've gotten the other since it's my zipcode... lol. In time, I am sure.

I just grabbed both Conrail N21 cabooses.  I was going to get them at N Scale Supply, but the CR ones are sold out there.  I hope Bluford eventually does Conrail N7E’s (ex EL cabooses).  The ones painted in mid 1976 by Meadville Car Shop with the long logos are sweet looking.  Thanks.

http://conrailphotos.thecrhs.org/image/view/39774/_original

Jeff
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 08:01:02 PM by ai5629 »
Jeff Lopez

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 11:18:24 PM »
Yeah, if you are ever going to run these - get them NOW! Bluford is already sold out of most schemes including Conrail. I put in my order with Spring Creek when they arrived there a few days ago. Eagerly awaiting them.

Bluford has not done re-runs of any of their cabooses that I am aware of. Once a scheme is gone, it probably won't be seen for a while.

MBK has half a dozen of the Conrail vans in stock of each number.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 10:48:31 PM »
My Northern Alberta Railways caboose arrived today; very nice RR model.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 11:48:01 PM »
These are every bit as good as I hoped they would be. Quality is similar with newer Atlas cabs. The paint is a bit better. The windows are TOTALLY flush, which makes paintover/plate outs look natural.

The only issues I have with them is that 2 of my 3 came with their stack sheered off at the base. They also changed truck design a bit and the new ones do not quite fit the old kingpin. This should be an easy fix using MTL kingpins.

But these cars are AMAZING!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:21:51 AM by daniel_leavitt2000 »

martin station

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2019, 09:48:37 AM »
These are every bit as good as I hoped they would be. Quality is similar with newer Atlas cabs. The paint is a bit better. The windows are TOTALLY flush, which makes paintover/plate outs look natural.

The only issues I have with them is that 2 of my 3 came with their stack sheered off at the base. They also changed truck design a bit and the new ones do not quite fit the old kingpin. This should be an easy fix using MTL kingpins.

But these cars are AMAZING!
    I agree. I just received my Southern one and it looks fantastic. The only issue mine had was the stack was a little crooked but otherwise it's perfect. It also has plenty of weight and rolls great.
Ralph

southernman

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2019, 12:14:09 PM »
Has anyone installed the user applied details yet? Looks like my two Southern units came with the axle generators. I'm also trying work up the nerve to remove the COTS as these weren't appropriate for my era. Maybe later, i have firewood to move right now.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4209
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 11:08:03 PM »
Was just about to post the same question.  I picked up one of the Conrail cars.  Looks like the best scenario is to be in a stark white room with a good set of tweezers, just in case the parts get launched when attempting to install.  8)
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2019, 07:00:10 AM »
Not all N21s had generators but both numbers on this run did indeed have them at least into the 90's.
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2010035

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=889765

Starting in the 80's when these were bumped from road service, the generators were pulled. This would either be the result of a truck swap, or the removal of the belt and generator, leaving the pulley intact and naked on the bearing cap.

I am waiting for Craig to get back to me on replacement stacks - all of the stacks on mine, including the toilet vents were sheared off.Conrail never had toilet vents on these, so that isn't a loss. But the smokestacks breaking off so ready does bother me. These really should have diagonal piplets on the ends of the "T" junction. I have to check to see if Bowser has any of their stacks available from their N5B.

Conrail's N21 fleet was produced by FGE instead of ICC, but shared a very similar plan. The biggest difference is that the bay window in the FGE cars is mounted about 6" lower from the roof. Bluford's car features the lower bay window. This car should also work for the N12 series (which was a true ICC car).

If they offer an undec car, I might get one and convert it to a N10 glass with Archer rivets.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4209
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2019, 07:40:38 AM »
The Bluford diagram on the box insert has the generator on the opposite truck. Will have to check the part under magnification to see if it can be reversed.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 07:52:17 AM »
Conrail's N21 fleet was produced by FGE instead of ICC, but shared a very similar plan. The biggest difference is that the bay window in the FGE cars is mounted about 6" lower from the roof. Bluford's car features the lower bay window. This car should also work for the N12 series (which was a true ICC car).

Bluford did choose the correct car for Penn Cenntral (N12), which ordered the class from ICC.  I knew these were not 100% correct for the N21, but I had not put them under the microscope yet.  I can live with the bay placement.  Maybe  he will eventually do CR N12’s.  He can also do CR class N7E (ex EL) cabooses.  He could do the long logo car I mentioned earlier in this thread and maybe 21165.  That is the caboose that the CRHS faithfully restored to its Conrail glory a few years ago.  One last comment, I was worried about the ride height on these, but I looked at this when my two CR cars showed up this week, and it is very good.  These look to be a homerun for Bluford. Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 09:19:48 AM »
Yeah the ride height is just about perfect. The CR cabs mostly use gussets instead of a side still. These make the prototype look like they ride higher. The model simply has the side still painted black. I'm OK with that compromise. In contrast, Walthers bay window is mounted slightly higher, but window placement and roof are totally incorrect. Not sure what I will do with my Walthers models now that we have these.

As a Conrail modeler, we really are spoiled rotten. For a road that only had active cabooses for less than a decade, we have:
N4/4A [also a stand in for N4B, N5G]- Like-Like, Bachmann
N5B - Bowser
N5C - Bowser
[stand in for N5H, N7D] - Bluford, Walthers
NE5 - Atlas
NE6 - Atlas
[stand in for N6A/9/9E] - Bluford
N7B/7C/10/12/21 - Bluford, Walthers
N7E - Bluford, Walthers, MTL, Athearn
N8D - ESM
N20 - Atlas

That pretty much covers 95% of the entire caboose fleet.
From what I can tell, the Despatch, FGE and ICC half bay window cars are all based on the same basic plan. They are close enough to the Bluford car not worry about. Likewise, the transfer vans are about a 90% match to the Bluford model which gets the big details - length, height, cabin size and platform length right. You could change the end rails to better match the prototype, but they are so nice, why bother?

Now I have to figure out what to do with my Athearn and MTL bay window cabs. They are closest to the N7E but the bays are a bit too narrow and the roof is incorrect.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7962
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2019, 10:37:59 AM »
Now if only Bowser did the N8...

Speaking of Bowser, they DO have the smoke jacks. They're pretty cheap (and a good upgrade for that Atlas plow, too), but $8 of shipping for $2 of parts has prevented me from pulling the trigger myself.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2019, 10:42:44 AM »
Was just about to post the same question.  I picked up one of the Conrail cars.  Looks like the best scenario is to be in a stark white room with a good set of tweezers, FOR WHEN the parts get launched when attempting to install.  8)

Fixed that for ya!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2019, 10:58:41 AM »
Now if only Bowser did the N8...

Speaking of Bowser, they DO have the smoke jacks. They're pretty cheap (and a good upgrade for that Atlas plow, too), but $8 of shipping for $2 of parts has prevented me from pulling the trigger myself.

Bowser has a N8 in HO, would be nice to also see it in N