Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/9/19  (Read 10752 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update 6/9/19
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 08:20:46 PM »
+40
It's (for all intents and purposes) DONE!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4597
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 08:30:59 PM »
+2
Lee, great job on the modules!  You prove that those silly T-TRAK blocks can actually made to look like a "real" layout.  :trollface: :D
. . . 42 . . .

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 08:31:48 PM »
+5
@wm3798 Lee,

Gotta say, your treatment of the concrete walls is about the best I've seen anyone do in any scale or context.  Bravo!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4597
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 08:33:57 PM »
+2
@wm3798 Lee,

Gotta say, your treatment of the concrete walls is about the best I've seen anyone do in any scale or context.  Bravo!

+1
. . . 42 . . .

Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +545
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 09:27:55 PM »
+1
Truly excellent modeling Lee! 

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 12:20:53 AM »
+31
I finished-up a prominent structure for the new FreeMoN module this week. This one is special - named for one of my best friends, going all the way back to Boy Scouts and high school, who passed away in 2015. He was a Chief Master Sergeant in the Kentucky Air National Guard at the time of his passing (4 years USAF, 25+ years KYANG). He was one of those friends who I genuinely admired for multiple reasons, and given my "habit" of naming businesses/companies on my layout after friends, it was only a matter of time before Kevin had one of his own - even down to the "Veteran Owned & Operated" on the sign. I built the basic form of the kit-bashed structure a few years ago, but never completed it for lack of a place to use it. After giving it a home on this new module, I finally completed the structure by adding roof details, cut out a few loading doors, added some interior vignettes, light fixtures, window treatments, etc, and of course, signage bearing Kevin's name. It's interesting how parts of ourselves, our hearts, and our histories can be woven into and expressed through our hobby...

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 01:07:53 AM »
It's interesting how parts of ourselves, our hearts, and our histories can be woven into and expressed through our hobby...

What a moving tribute to your friend.  Very well done.   Both your modeling and your thoughts

eja

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +290
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 06:49:34 AM »
Just masterful Chris. We really do need to see more of your layout!
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1419
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 09:43:37 AM »
+7
@wm3798 Looks fantastic! I'm really glad do see the Cumberland station again!

I've been working on a WM GP7 project, which has been a test bed for a number of things printed on the Photon. Obviously the chop-nose cab being the largest item, but also True-Scale Coupler boxes, and MU stands (didn't make the photo). Next I need to draw up spark arrestors, and decided if I'm going to lower the walkway behind the cab on the fireman's side. I've also be experimenting with printing "glass" with clear resin. I have prints that I am happy with the fit for the front windshield, headlight and number boards, but they will take a little doctoring to look right. Still better than anything else I could conjure up!

The big hold up on this project is proving to be finding the correct horns. The BLMA 226 were perfect, but the well has run dry. Anyone have a pair that I could convince to part with?

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 09:51:30 AM »
Just masterful Chris. We really do need to see more of your layout!

I agree on both counts...

Mark in Oregon

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 11:15:12 AM »
+5
I seldom post in this thread but I have good progress to report on my Nn3 Code 40 track and turnout efforts.  This pic shows the progress with a printed tie bed with some code 40 rail scraps inserted to check track gauge and flange way dimensions.  Accuracy is perfect, holding the .262" target dimension and within .002" wherever there is an excursion from that.  And these will be available for Z track too!  This one is only assuredly good for 4 wheel stock or very tight turning eight wheel but #4, 6, and 8 will follow.

Next steps, rail machining fixtures and all final details for a fully functional, very accurate and smooth running turnout. 8)  Of course, I know that but we're yet to see if the final turnout does. ;) 

More on the efforts in this thread. https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=46808.0

And the pics:

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 11:17:21 AM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 11:23:53 AM »
@wm3798 That's T-Trak!?!? That's incredible, Lee! Looks more like a very well-done home layout than the tiny portable modules I remember seeing at shows! You've seriously raised the bar. It's beautiful!
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1189
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2019, 12:11:10 PM »
+16
Finished up the T-scale Santa Fe F7-A for a fellow who wanted it to display alongside warbonnet F's of all scales.... It was difficult to say the least but I think it turned out ok.  I'd like to weather it up (maybe paint the grilles silver as well).  The only decals on it are the black striping/front logo, lettering, and numberboards. 

Also finished up a test of a PRR signal gantry for electrified territory.  I also have catenary gantry on the bench.  I think this design of signal bridge was used across the system with differing supports.  It's constructed of etched brass, square 1mm styrene rod, .3 mm brass rod, and 3D printed signal heads.  I used the cut-off head styles, but I also have full round PL heads which were found on the upper signal head, I just grabbed one for this test build.  So I posed it with the GG1 and FP7 for grins alongside a scale reference that should look familiar! 
The goal is a diorama style module representing Princeton Jct. so these are all components of the scene in the late 70's/early 80's.
Jesse

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2019, 01:54:53 PM »
...  :o ...  :)

Mark in Oregon