Author Topic: Fox Valley Hiawatha 4-4-2 running problems  (Read 1301 times)

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +992
Fox Valley Hiawatha 4-4-2 running problems
« on: June 16, 2019, 04:03:45 PM »
I have a 1st-run Fox Valley Hiawatha 4-4-2.    It runs, but has some kind of mechanism issue.  There's a periodic bind that slows it down in a pattern that repeats with each driver revolution.   If anyone has debugged this kind of issue with this mechanism before I'd appreciate learning from your experience - I'm hoping to avoid tearing the entire mechanism down at least until I've ruled out the simple stuff.

Another issue is that with a decoder in it the engine doesn't go very fast.  setting CV57 to 0 (disabling back EMF, I believe) helps the top end, but then exacerbates the effect of the binding noted above.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Fox Valley Hiawatha 4-4-2 running problems
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 11:23:52 PM »
+2
George, few years ago I did a complete tear-down and tuneup on the engine and all the cars. The articles were published in the N-Scale Magazine few years back (I can look up the issue when I get home).

If the binding happens once per driver revolution then it is most likely the siderods/valve-gear related.  Unfortunately, the best way to troubleshoot this would be to have the running gear free-rolling (means removing the motor). Or, if you can get the model to stall when it binds then you can take tweezers and carefully try to gingerly move every piece of the running gear.  The one that binds will likely be jammed (or more difficult to move than the others), while all the other pieces should have some play in them.
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +992
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 11:50:10 PM »
Thanks Pete - I've got (I think) every N-Scale Magazine published, so I think I must have it somewhere. If it was N Scale Railroading then my collection is less complete.

<edit> Found it - November-December 2012.   VERY comprehensive - thank you!</edit>

I'm noticing some tight gauge issues too, so I may have to bite the bullet and tear it down no matter what.   After my Berkshire rebuild it's not quite so scary.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:04:09 AM by nickelplate759 »
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 12:07:57 AM »
Thanks Pete - I've got (I think) every N-Scale Magazine published, so I think I must have it somewhere. If it was N Scale Railroading then my collection is less complete.

<edit> Found it - November-December 2012.   VERY comprehensive - thank you!</edit>

I'm noticing some tight gauge issues too, so I may have to bite the bullet and tear it down no matter what.   After my Berkshire rebuild it's not quite so scary.

You're welcome.  :)  So that was over 6 years ago?  Wow, time flies !
. . . 42 . . .