Author Topic: Loksound volume control for random effects?  (Read 288 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
Loksound volume control for random effects?
« on: June 05, 2019, 07:43:13 PM »
I know there are separate volume controls for the various sound effects, and I know there is an interval control for the random mix of sounds feature (like compressor, etc) -- but is there a separate volume control for the random mix by itself?

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1783
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Loksound volume control for random effects?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 08:17:36 PM »
Like you mentioned, each sound has a separate volume control. I';m not sure if I understand why there is a need to separately control the volume of the random activation of those sounds?  Can you explain?

For example, your have the individual volume of the air compressor's sound adjusted to what sounds realistic to you.  If that compressor is then activated randomly, wouldn't its volume be the same as if activated manually?

--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +297
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 11:11:56 AM »
My experience is that Random Sounds indeed has it's own volume control separate from the individual sound volumes. I've also only ever been able to get the compressor to activate randomly. I have found that there is one volume control for the compressor when activating it manually and a separate volume control if it's set up to occur randomly. I'm short on time this AM and can't look up the involved CV's right now, but will later if nobody else chimes-in by then.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 11:18:08 AM by tehachapifan »
Russ

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +544
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 09:26:56 AM »
I loaded the Alco 12cyl 244 file into LokProgrammer, and indeed there is a separate CV for changing the volume of "random sounds" - it's CV 451.

So do this:

CV16=1
CV32=1
CV451=10 (the default volume is 50).

See if that works.

John C.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 01:40:04 PM »
I loaded the Alco 12cyl 244 file into LokProgrammer, and indeed there is a separate CV for changing the volume of "random sounds" - it's CV 451.

So do this:
CV16=1
CV32=1
CV451=10 (the default volume is 50).

See if that works.
John C.

Where is that setting (CVs) shown in the LokProgrammer?  Is option to set the random sounds' volume specific to a sound project?
--- Peteski de Snarkski

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +544
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 02:14:15 PM »
Hi Pete.

On the file I loaded (the Alco 244 file), "random sounds" was listed in the Sound Slot Settings pane toward the bottom of the list, but it did not have a specific sound slot assigned (I assume that's because it's just an amalgamation of sounds that DO have sound slots, like the compressor and pop off valves).  But if you click on that line, you get a sound volume adjustment slider, just like for a sound slot.  So I adjusted the volume from 50 to 10, then went to "Show Changed CVs" in the toolbar, and lo and behold it listed CV451 as the CV that changed.

I don't know if this is sound-file-specific, since I only loaded the Alco 244 file.  I may look at some other sound files later to see if they have the same "random sounds" line as the 244 file.

John C.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 02:42:36 PM »
I see it now - not sure how I missed it.  Brain fart. Thanks John.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
--- Peteski de Snarkski

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +297
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 03:09:21 PM »
I see it now - not sure how I missed it.  Brain fart. Thanks John.
(Attachment Link)

I think this entry actually disappears once a sound file is loaded and then reopened from the loco later. I seem to recall it only appearing as shown above if its' the original sound file. I believe all you will see if you open an already-loaded file is "sound slot 25"...assuming it's indeed in sound slot 25 as above.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 03:12:14 PM by tehachapifan »
Russ

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 04:45:39 PM »
I think this entry actually disappears once a sound file is loaded and then reopened from the loco later. I seem to recall it only appearing as shown above if its' the original sound file. I believe all you will see if you open an already-loaded file is "sound slot 25"...assuming it's indeed in sound slot 25 as above.

Interesting - good to know.  Now only to remember that factoid.  :)
--- Peteski de Snarkski