Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/2/19  (Read 11838 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
Re: Weekend Update 6/2/19
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2019, 02:38:52 PM »
+15
No work this weekend...just played with trains:

This weekend is the Denver Pop Culture Con (formerly Denver ComicCon, but licensing issues forced the name change).  I engaged in another hobby of mine:

I know...  The collar rank is on order!  Also, before you judge, it was actually my wife who got me into cosplay!

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2019, 03:40:46 PM »
+1

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4210
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »
I know...  The collar rank is on order!  Also, before you judge, it was actually my wife who got me into cosplay!

Oh sure, throw Patty under the bus!  Is that something Picard would do??  :D
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2019, 04:46:16 PM »
Oh sure, throw Patty under the bus!  Is that something Picard would do??  :D

Oh, no bus here!  She’s proud to have gotten me into a hobby that doesn’t involve trains!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5404
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2019, 04:53:15 PM »
+16
Kilroy was here.

Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2019, 05:35:28 PM »
+7

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2019, 05:56:24 PM »
+2

Yay...  LOL.  I showed Patricia the banner and yet I'm still allowed to sleep in the house so that's good...   :scared:

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2090
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2019, 07:59:15 PM »
+11
Here’s a bit more progress on my HH660 build.
The shell is all ready for paint.
I need to add the fuel tank skirts and air tanks then the sill will be ready for paint as well.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2019, 08:10:18 PM »
+2
Um, what?

As far as my hands, I usually wear gloves, either to protect from burns or, if I'm rebuilding something, to keep them clean.  Lots of folks wind up with screwed up skin due to long term exposure to oils and solvents, and I'd prefer to avoid that.

As far as calling me captain, well, I'm not a captain, and implying that I am a member of the deck department is a bit insulting.

:? :scared: This talking , joking thing is just too complicated for me . I'm going back inside .

Richie Dost

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2019, 08:22:49 PM »
+2
As always the modeling this week is awesome! I have been a little busy with a home project that will last a few months. So no modeling from me but here are a couple of pics from what I've been up to.

My wife wants a new house so I tore the old one down  8)

But since I need to TIE this into railroading in some way this house was built in the late 40's when building codes weren't really a thing. I discovered this in the rubble.

Yes, that's a used railroad tie that was used in construction of the house. My grandpa owned this house as a rental and remembers it being built (before it was owned by him) and said the builder would seriously scavenge other job sites and use whatever he could find in building it. He said the first thing he should have done when he bought it back in the late 60's early 70's was tear it down. Gramps has been gone for almost 6 years and now that I own the house I'm fulfilling his wish.
And just so you know, yes there will be a model railroad in the basement... eventually.

"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

pdx1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +337
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2019, 09:14:50 PM »
+1
Been working on the next couple of NP-themed T-Trak modules. These will be representative of the Teanaway -Bristol section just east of Cle Elum, WA. The Teanaway River crossing is in the foreground. I got a photographic background on order as I wanted to try that method.

I also finally completed my caboose projects with a SP silver-painted C40-3 for the Pacific Coast Expediter (a 1st class freight), a SP C30-4 with the original vermillion ends, and a NP wooden caboose.

Peter

"No one ever died because of a bad question, but bad assumptions can kill"

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2019, 09:15:28 PM »
+3
Jbub,

When I first saw your photos, I thought you were doing what I had been doing last week, volunteer cleanup from the Dayton tornados.

Fortunately the occupants of this house were not home during the storm.

I would say which volunteer group I am working with, but I wouldn’t want anyone to get triggered.  :trollface: Progress on my challenge project has been affected.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2019, 09:39:56 PM »
A challenge I didn't think I could pull off seems to be coming together.. a classic warbonnet F7 in T scale.  No decals exist for this in this scale so I'm doing it mostly by masking, which is pretty tough at this size (34mm long front to rear).  Someone here very generously volunteered to try print some on an Alps but oh I'm stubborn.  Sequence was silver (mask), yellow (mask), red; Then peel and decal.  In the 2nd pic I've started decal application (lettering and black pinstripes), and probably some touch-up, which will complete the paint job.  Incidentally the shell (and frame and trucks) are 3D/Shapeways models I designed.

So how long is that shell again?   :)
I'm speechless!
. . . 42 . . .

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2019, 09:47:15 PM »
As always the modeling this week is awesome! I have been a little busy with a home project that will last a few months. So no modeling from me but here are a couple of pics from what I've been up to.

But since I need to TIE this into railroading in some way this house was built in the late 40's when building codes weren't really a thing. I discovered this in the rubble.

Yes, that's a used railroad tie that was used in construction of the house. My grandpa owned this house as a rental and remembers it being built (before it was owned by him) and said the builder would seriously scavenge other job sites and use whatever he could find in building it. He said the first thing he should have done when he bought it back in the late 60's early 70's was tear it down. Gramps has been gone for almost 6 years and now that I own the house I'm fulfilling his wish.
And just so you know, yes there will be a model railroad in the basement... eventually.

Save the tie , it will forever tie you , your Gramps , and the house together .
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 09:48:54 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2019, 10:34:53 PM »
Save the tie , it will forever tie you , your Gramps , and the house together .
It's a nice sentiment, but the thing was so rotted it wasn't worth it. What's interesting though is the burn marks on the rail side of the tie. It's not grease or creosote.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader