Author Topic: ATSF Los Angeles Division, circa 1949  (Read 59177 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Re: ATSF Los Angeles Division, circa 1949
« Reply #465 on: January 30, 2023, 09:17:49 PM »
+1
Thank you very much for the kind comments, guys. We did have a very good time, and I learned a bit more about my ops. The slow speed of the trains up and down the Pass, just like the real trains of the era, result in a nice, comfortable but still busy pace for the session...last thing I want to do with my hobby time is hurry and stress out over "getting the job done". Been there, done that, didn't like it much. Didn't like it at all, actually.

I'm also getting a better feel for how much traffic LA, and more importantly, San Bernardino, can reasonably generate without stressing out the TM/YM there, and how to make his job more efficient. All valuable lessons.
Another big lesson is that we can have op sessions and enjoy them even now, way before the layout is complete. It's okay to run over unfinished scenery part of the way, although the scenicked areas are a lot more enjoyable. It certainly is an incentive to get more scenery done (as soon as I'm done with the electrical BS, promise).

Mike, you made me chuckle with your comment, thank you. If my layout can make anyone feel homesick, that's a hell of a compliment!
Fun stuff, tbc.
Otto

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #466 on: January 30, 2023, 09:24:18 PM »
+2
Actually, I forgot. We had another run session on Sunday, this one on "my other layout" the HO scale PCL that I work on three days a week. It too, while unfinished by far, provides a lot of enjoyment at this point, now that the carpentry and associated dust is mostly finished. We just got to keep the plaster guys under control :D
A few pics below, the last one almost looks N scale :D
Otto
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 09:27:21 PM by Cajonpassfan »

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #467 on: February 03, 2023, 11:38:12 PM »
+1
So I've had some occasional derailments here and there, and other than the obvious track and switch gauge and alignment issues that I'm fixing, the "narrow" .059" Fox Valley wheels on some of my equipment are the first to misbehave. I've decided to put some effort into "diagnosing" the problem before doing away with the narrow threads, and the derailments seem to be a result of a combination of "perfect storm" imperfections: car weight, coupler type, and especially truck wobbliness which allows the lighter weight cars to stringline. I've been replacing pins on some of the "wobblers" with 2-56 x 3/16 with Phillips pan head screws, typically just one truck but at times both with much success.
Tonight, I'm  running a 33-car test train of mixed equipment, wheelsets and couplers over the 2 and 3% grades and learning a lot in the process.
Pics below, but it's a challenge getting the whole train in the shot.
The journey continues...
Otto

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #468 on: February 03, 2023, 11:59:56 PM »
+1
This is why we love N scale, right?

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #469 on: February 04, 2023, 01:18:56 AM »
Ha! Right!?

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #470 on: February 05, 2023, 04:32:28 PM »
+2

Excellent!!  I love it when events like that happen spontaneously during a session.  :lol:

sp org div

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #471 on: February 07, 2023, 01:43:55 PM »
Hey Otto
Layout pictures look really great!
Nothing like putting away all the tools and materials… just so you can start the preops process.
Sorry to hear derailment issues… 3 percent grades with 18” radius curves is asking alot.
Hopefully you can feret out the offending issues without too much grief.
The railroad is really coming along!
Glad to hear your feeling better and back working on the layout(s).
Keep up the good work Otto (and never mind that rule G!)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #472 on: February 07, 2023, 10:07:39 PM »
+2
Thank you, Jeff, for the kind comments!
I've been "ferreting" the occasional derailment and yes there are multiple causes, a combination of factors and the fine wheelsets alone are not the problem, but their use requires other factors, like weight, coupler type and mount, trackwork and consistency above all. I'm keeping track, no pun intended, of work in progress...see pic.
Otto
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 10:28:41 PM by Cajonpassfan »

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #473 on: February 08, 2023, 12:01:23 AM »
+1
I do like the semi-fine scale wheels, very much, and I'm beginning to think that perhaps, it's not the wheels that are the problem; yes they are finicky, but maybe they are more like the parrot in the coal mine, or rose bush in the vineyard: they're the first to signal a problem before we all die, or the wines do, figuratively speaking. So the testing continues...
Otto

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #474 on: February 11, 2023, 10:59:11 PM »
+3
Not much visible progress, just busy prepping for another op session next weekend. Lots of "work" mostly involving running trains and dealing with issues as they crop up. New wheels here, more weight there, an under-gauged piece of track elsewhere. Somebody's got to do it, right? :D

I thought I'd post an overview pic. Here is a high level "drone" shot of the right side of the room showing Summit and the two isles below, not something that is obvious  from normal viewing height. Cajon station is in the middle distance, Devore and lower end of Keenbrook in the far distance on the left and right, respectively. Summit is at 65" (less the 12" raised floor), Cajon station at 56", Keenbrook at 50" and Devore at 46".

From there, the track continues west through Verdemont (at 43") and enters the lower deck at Ono (38") and on to Highland Jct., the connection to Redlands loop, and finally San Bernardino. The track there is at only 30", to accommodate three sitting operators.

From there, the doubletrack continues west and on to semi-scenicked LA Staging, located under the Cajon station peninsula, at about 29" elevation. A three foot climb and over 200' from there to Summit.

Fun stuff, thanks for following!
Otto

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 01:42:57 AM by Cajonpassfan »

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #475 on: February 11, 2023, 11:30:15 PM »
That is a great perspective shot!

MDW

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #476 on: February 12, 2023, 01:56:10 AM »
Very cool shot, Otto.
You can really feel the height of the climb to Summit from this angle.

Michel

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #477 on: February 12, 2023, 07:21:02 PM »
Great shot, looking Grande Otto

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #478 on: February 13, 2023, 10:00:28 PM »
Thanks guys, appreciated!
Otto

ATSF_Ron

• Crew
  • Respect: +155
« Reply #479 on: February 13, 2023, 10:03:13 PM »
Otto, great job on a fantastic layout!  Sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere, but is this in a spare bedroom or attic space?  Looks like a great place to build.  Mine is also inside.  I tried outdoors in a covered patio years ago, but weather and dust were too much for N scale.