Author Topic: Bit by the N Scale Bug: Coffee Table Layout  (Read 1119 times)

Trainmaster247

• Crew
  • Respect: +22
Bit by the N Scale Bug: Coffee Table Layout
« on: October 03, 2023, 09:00:20 PM »
+11
Got a good deal on some thrift shop N scale trains and decided it'd be just enough track for a small coffee table layout. Using a local makerspace I lasercut a simple wood table that would give me a foam base and acrylic top. The semi finished results are shown below and include a mix of 3d printed and walthers buildings along with a mix of scenic express mixtures for ground cover. Control is via an ESP32 wired up to a motor driver and emulating a smart lightbulb with brightness setting the speed and on/off of a second bulb handling direction. As you can see from the photo though I'm pretty hooked on N scale now having just purchased a kato big boy excursion train set along with a metra a few months ago.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Trainmaster247

• Crew
Re: Bit by the N Scale Bug: Coffee Table Layout
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 09:02:03 PM »
+2
Here is some additional photos showing the table a bit more

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 02:11:28 AM »
+1
Another Retro Layout!

I know that wasn't what you were going for, but coffee table layouts were quite popular 50+ years ago, in the early days of N scale.  Yours looks nice.
N Kalanaga
Be well

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 03:05:02 PM »
+1
That poor Big Boy set looks like a giant elephant that's stuffed into a squirrel run.  Better start working on the big layout.
What you need there is an old Postage Stamp set!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 03:07:06 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Trainmaster247

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 09:32:08 PM »
That poor Big Boy set looks like a giant elephant that's stuffed into a squirrel run.  Better start working on the big layout.
What you need there is an old Postage Stamp set!

I do have a little 0-4-0 steamer as well as the metra for a bit more space realism. Plan is to go for a larger layout once I wrap up college and move out of this dorm room.

Trainmaster247

• Crew
Picked up a EZ-Track lot to start planning a larger layout
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 01:41:17 PM »

For the last few weeks I've been eyeing an EZ-Track lot as it slowly went down in price from $550 down to $400 today and figured it was a deal I couldn't pass up. Was a lot of 390 pieces and based off some online store cart adding in theory over $1,400 new. Ended up being around $480 with tax but what are peoples here's thoughts did I get a good deal or swing and miss? While I know flex track and cork roadbed would give me more options for the ease of setup and planning I figured EZ-Track would be a good way to go.

Seller Item List
79 small Crosse's and small straight

6 smaller right sitcher

9 left switcher

7 longer "Y"? track

3 long split switcher??

11 short & shorter curve

2 curve power in box Italy

100 smaller curve

66 small curve

25 longer curve

29 longest curve

53 long straight

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 02:43:43 PM »
+2
$400 will buy you a lot of Unitrak.  While on the surface, they look similar, the Bachmann system is a far cry from Unitrak when it comes to reliability.  The clips break, and then all you have is typical snap track with regular joiners.  You'd be better off with flex and do it yourself ballast (fewer track joints, fewer opportunities for electrical or alignment problems.

If a roadbed system is your bag, then get Unitrak.  The joiners are engineered to be more reliable both mechanically and electrically.  I'm not much of a fan of its appearance, but since I started doing TTrak modules, I'm pretty pleased with its performance.

There's a reason that guy is dumping the Bachmann track.  You might ask him why that is.  My guess is that it wasn't being used or was replaced with something better.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Trainmaster247

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 02:53:32 PM »
Source was someone who goes around doing estate sale buys and this was the original owner passed away, I have used EZ track a bit and definitely know of those flaws in the system as well, right now roadbed system is best for me since I'm wrapping up college and while I plan to start a layout come after graduation would likely still need to be modular.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 08:48:10 PM »
+2
Well there ya have it.  The Bachmann track finally killed someone. :scared:

Buy fewer pieces of something better.  40 year old you will thank 20 year old you.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2023, 12:04:15 AM »
+2
Well there ya have it.  The Bachmann track finally killed someone. :scared:

Buy fewer pieces of something better.  40 year old you will thank 20 year old you.

Lee

Eh. twice is a warning. And some must learn. He'll learn the issues fairly shortly and pass it on soon. We'll have the Kato M1 warmed up in the meantime.
-Al