Author Topic: Ashland Coal & Iron N scale micro layout  (Read 1980 times)

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
Ashland Coal & Iron N scale micro layout
« on: February 04, 2022, 11:59:17 AM »
+4
I have been inspired by the micro layout built by Steve of Steve’s Trains. He has a YouTube channel and his micro layout was featured in an NMRA newsletter which is where I first saw it. I have chosen the old Ashland Coal & Iron (AC&I) Railway for a prototype. This layout is so small you can’t really be prototypical with size, but the place names are real places that I knew in childhood.

Ashland, Kentucky was the terminus of a railroad that sought to tap the limestone, coal, and timber resources of Eastern Kentucky back after the Civil War. These were three resources that were essential to making iron, and later steel. The AC&I RY company was formed. After a few years it was bought out and extended by another company, the East Lexington & Big Sandy (EL&BS) Railroad. Wages were apparently sparse because the employees referred to the railroad as the “Eat Little & Be Satisfied”. In the 1930’s the C&O Railway completed the buyout of the EL&BS and the one hundred plus mile line between Ashland and Lexington, KY became the Lexington Subdivision of the C&O. Most of the track was removed in the mid 1980’s. About 11 miles remain from the mainline junction in Ashland to the Kentucky Electric Steel plant in Coalton.

Some model manufacturers have produced AC&I models. Aristo Craft was one:

I may have a locomotive or two lettered for AC&I. I plan on documenting the first stage of layout construction in the next post.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 01:57:36 PM by Kentuckian »
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

Kentuckian

• Crew
Re: Ashland Coal & Iron N scale micro layout
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 02:25:31 PM »
+6
I wanted to try to keep costs down as much as possible, since the whole layout is kind of a lark. I think it will give me more layout building experience, and it will be fun to have something portable that is also self-contained.

I didn’t follow Steve exactly here; I believe he used 1x4 for the framing and 2” thick foam. I used 1x3 for the framing and 1” thick foam. I happened to already have a select (product of Sweden!) 8’ long 1x3 on hand. The 18”x34” layout frame used almost every inch of the 8’ long 1x3. 5mm floor underlayment was used to support the foam because again, that’s what I had on hand.

3/4” wood was used on the bottom to support the 5mm underlayment. This will provide some space for wiring under the layout if I need it.

I copied Steve’s track plan exactly. “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.” Artless, but sincere.

The elevation change is a key element of the layout. It hides the train for a few seconds, and provides more real estate for structures.

@davefoxx gave me some valuable constructive criticism. The ramp in the above photo is unrealistically steep. He and others suggested that I lengthen it. It looked much better, so I did.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 04:47:23 PM »
Thumbs up from me, @Kentuckian!  I like it.

Kudos,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 06:43:52 PM »
+1
I'm going to enjoy watching this build.  Micro layouts are becoming a real segment of the hobby.  I'm really enjoying the Newport and Rock Falls.  And even my HCD, while considerably bigger, is feeling manageable AND completable!
There's so much satisfaction in feeling like you really can bring something in for a landing, even if it's on the small side.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1420
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 08:28:09 AM »
There's so much satisfaction in feeling like you really can bring something in for a landing, even if it's on the small side.

THIS!!

Good luck with the project! Following along!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 08:47:04 AM »
+2
Lee

This is exactly why I limit the size of my layouts as I do and not allow them to become monsters.  At first glance, my layout looks larger, but it's essentially an N scale HCD plan (with a few small extensions) sized up to an HO scale layout.  This is my limit.  It will take me a long time to complete it, but I know it is achievable.  There is satisfaction in that.  Staring at a layout that you know you cannot finish sucks the fun out of it for me.

The nice thing about micro layouts is (1) the level of detail that you can apply, and (2) the minimal layout size allows you to build a few layouts to satisfy those waffling moments when you have more than one prototype that you love.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Kentuckian

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 09:17:13 PM »
+4
I’ve been working on locomotives for the layout but I have gotten a few things done to the layout lately. I painted the rail with a paint pen, and painted the ties at all the joints. Then gave everything a coat of Dullcote. Before ballast, I plan to go through and highlight a few ties in gray. After ballast, I plan to put in some oil drips and dribbles down the track centerline.

I’ve been reading the blog of @DKS about micro layouts. Can you tell?

I’ve also started the control panel in the back.

Kentuckian

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 07:28:19 PM »
+4
Control panel completed except for some labeling, which I plan on completing after the layout scenery is done.

This layout is both DC and DCC. The selector switch is on top. DC on the right, NCE DCC on the left. Once the layout  is finished, one of its functions will be as a programming track. DC can be a 9 volt battery, or a wall wart if I want to run DC for any length of time.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 07:31:53 PM by Kentuckian »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 08:29:38 AM »
That panel looks really nice.  Where did you source your potentiometer with the big dial?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 11:22:32 AM »
Don't take this the wrong way, but that's a sexy knob.

Kentuckian

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 08:42:00 PM »
+1
The potentiometer was from some EBay seller, I believe from China. It didn’t come with the big circular scale, that came from an old replacement rheostat that I also found on EBay.

Modified to add photo
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 05:28:40 PM by Kentuckian »

Kentuckian

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2023, 01:20:33 PM »
+9
Finally getting back into my micro layout. I hope to finish it by sometime this winter.  Current state as of today:

Yes I finally painted the Henry Clay Hotel. It wasn’t nearly as difficult as I thought. I am also working on a Design Preservation Models building on the upper section that will be a pharmacy. The building in the back on the right is a kitbashed Atlas Middlesex Manufacturing building that will be Ben Williamson Supply Company. I still have to build the large building in the upper back that will enclose the controls. I’ve really been enjoying this little layout.

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2023, 12:41:53 AM »
Love how handy that specific rubber rock is.
-Al