Author Topic: ATSF Los Angeles Division, circa 1949  (Read 59175 times)

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
Re: ATSF Los Angeles Division, circa 1949
« Reply #420 on: August 02, 2022, 08:02:52 AM »
Looking great

tappertrainman

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #421 on: August 03, 2022, 02:57:19 PM »
Everything is stunning.
Santa Fe all the way!

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #422 on: August 03, 2022, 11:45:10 PM »
+12
 Thanks guys, I do appreciate your comments.
Below, pics of another hot train going up Cajon Pass: a GFX (Green Fruit Express) with cars for Chicago and beyond. Erie fast freight was the preferred way of getting California produce from Chicago to the eastern markets...
I do need to get more scenery done to get rid of the "snow"..
Fun stuff :D

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #423 on: August 07, 2022, 11:59:58 PM »
+8
And here we are, exiting Summit, and about to drop down the east slope towards Barstow (staging). The dynamics are kicking in as we approach the exit of the modeled part of the railroad at Lugo...
That's Perspiration Peak above the eighth reefer. Really. Ballast is coming, but only after trackwork and wiring pass testing.
Otto

« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 02:11:34 AM by Cajonpassfan »

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #424 on: August 14, 2022, 03:19:40 PM »
Nothing new or exciting...I've been doing some much needed maintenance and troubleshooting, weighing cars etc. so that I can run trains more reliably. I did decide to invest a little bit into trainroom ambiance and comfort and bought two more adjustable, armless, swiveling "task chairs" that will be needed for fully staffed ops...meanwhile they are useful at my workstations. $83 each at Amazon, next day delivery, not bad. The old broken hand me down chairs are going in the trash...
Otto

MDW

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #425 on: August 14, 2022, 08:04:22 PM »
It’s all exciting..... even the new chair! :D
Can’t wait to see more!

Michel

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #426 on: August 14, 2022, 10:58:09 PM »
+6
Ha! Yes, more excitement coming! I pulled out the makings of my circa '49 Chief, a full twelve car consist. The four Pullmans up front are a Pennsy 4-4-2 and two NYC cars, a 4-4-2 and a 10-6 from New York and a pin-stripped Valley 6-6-4 comes from Washington, D.C. via the B&O. The rest are brass cars I acquired over the last 20 years or so. The brass cars still need a lot of work including glazing, but it's nice to see them run behind the BLI PA set. Here it is, westbound approaching Summit. A work in progress...
Otto

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1295
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #427 on: August 14, 2022, 11:37:26 PM »
Good stuff Otto!

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #428 on: August 28, 2022, 12:17:10 PM »
+1
Thanks, Allen!
I've been quiet, fighting a highly annoying case of Covid; nothing terrible, just whooped and in no mood to do anything but sleep.
In other news, the Santa Fe Bunkhouse kit I mentioned here a while ago is now available for preorder from Right On Track Models, see the Product Discussion section.
I think I need a nap now.... :|
Otto
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 12:22:27 PM by Cajonpassfan »

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1295
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #429 on: August 28, 2022, 03:40:54 PM »
+1
Thanks, Allen!
I've been quiet, fighting a highly annoying case of Covid; nothing terrible, just whooped and in no mood to do anything but sleep.
Take it easy and get some rest Otto!
Hope you get it sooner than later.
Allen...

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #430 on: October 06, 2022, 06:36:37 PM »
+5
Thanks for the well wishes. Turns out that after Covid, I ended up in the hospital for a miserable nine days, unrelated to Covid. Yech...
All appears well now, I just tire easily, so not much progress to report on the layout. But, the break gave me time to think through some logistical challenges involving running trains, which in my era before CTC were basically TT&TO. On the Santa Fe, only First Class (passenger) trains operated under a formal timetable, and all freights ran as Extras (even daily hot shot "Symbol" freights which had general schedules ran Extra, at the Dispatcher's discretion). Part of the fun is running passenger trains more or less on schedule, and finding slots between them to move tonnage in both directions.

On my layout, trains on the First District (Cajon Pass) run between San Bernardino and Barstow (east staging) and back.
I have no interest I replicating the actual paperwork, but I do need a way to keep track of the many trains (and locomotives) on the railroad. I've devised a "train card" system, where each train's crew gets a 3"x5" card which contains necessary information and fits neatly inside a shirt pocket to keep hands free for other use. The card fits inside a plastic pouch, and at the end of the run is flipped around to be available for a returning train. There is room in the pouch to insert additional Train Orders,  received either at originating stations, or at Summit and Cajon where there were Train Order offices. See hand written example in pink.

These cards also provide a handy way to keep track of trains in staging, especially in the hidden 14-track Barstow yard. I found a neat hanging bin with 24 slots on Amazon (used to keep track of employees timecards). The ten extra slots will likely be used for "hold" equipment. I've installed this bin at the entrance to the trainroom but accessible from the lounge, see pics.

This is still evolving, but the system looks promising and should be easy to understand for visiting operators. The cards will provide permission to enter the District with basic orders based on prototype practices. The backside can then include more specific instructions about speed limits, stops for retainers and wheel cooling, picking up cars etc.

To be continued, now I need to go clean more track...
Otto

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 06:41:43 PM by Cajonpassfan »

coldriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
« Reply #431 on: October 09, 2022, 09:38:24 AM »

This is still evolving, but the system looks promising and should be easy to understand for visiting operators. The cards will provide permission to enter the District with basic orders based on prototype practices. The backside can then include more specific instructions about speed limits, stops for retainers and wheel cooling, picking up cars etc.

Glad to hear you're doing better Otto. 

The train cards look great and I like the rack idea for staging.  I use a similar system although my train cards get used for a single session and then tossed (they aren't near as fancy as yours) because I'm constantly fiddling with what trains will run each session, what power each train gets, and what they will do enroute.  Because all the info is on one side of the cards I've toyed with the idea of putting sleeves on the back of my throttles to hold them.  I get new folks showing up at my sessions from time to time wearing aprons to hold paperwork but all you really need is a shirt with a pocket. 

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #432 on: October 09, 2022, 12:23:29 PM »
Thanks, Dean. Yes, the cards are sized to fit shirt pockets. Easy. Now to find a way for people to show up dressed appropriately, starting with no baggy long sleeve sweaters... :P

A point of clarification: the east and westbound versions of each train, i.e. Extra 206 East/West, have their relative cards laminated back to back, and a simple 3"x5" index card is slipped into the plastic sleeve to block one or the other, see pics. This index card can be left blank, or could have printed or handwritten instructions. At the end of the run, in staging or division, the index card is placed to reveal the return train card, or a new index card with appropriate instructions could be used. This might help solve your evolving needs. Index cards are cheap, and come in many colors...

Fun stuff,
Otto

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #433 on: October 12, 2022, 05:44:03 AM »
Thanks, Dean. Yes, the cards are sized to fit shirt pockets. Easy. Now to find a way for people to show up dressed appropriately, starting with no baggy long sleeve sweaters... :P

For thiose people You might try using those same kind of clip-ons w/ plastic sleeve that people wear at conventions or meeting, the ones that say "Hello, my name is .." but with train card attached.

Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +545
« Reply #434 on: October 12, 2022, 03:22:21 PM »
I went back to the beginning of your thread, Otto - you are really making great progress and the scenery and bridges look really great!