Author Topic: Weekend Update 2/17/19  (Read 7709 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2626
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Weekend Update 2/17/19
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2019, 09:27:32 PM »
My other suggestions would be to  swap the motor with one of those $2 Atlas slow speed motors we were taking about in the DCC forum and a good keep alive capacitor to the DCC decoder will keep it crawling over switches better than any flywheel could. I do I have a soft spot for Hallmark brass. They were the only game in town for C40-8Ws for years.

What is wrong with that motor?
Aren't Mashima motors good quality and highly regarded?  it is a fairly large motor too, so it should have plenty of torque, no?
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +455
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2019, 09:47:21 PM »
+3
My ten CS Models wood chip cars are ready for paint. Thanks to Tim (BCR570) for the help with photos and examples of his own models for placement and sizing of the bracing. These models had so many waves that the cross bracing in this case is actually helping to keep them straight!

A while back Tim had a run of custom Tungsten weights done for these cars. They are large enough that they actually make the cars too heavy so I cut them in half and after glueing them in, I shimmed the rest of the floor and installed a sheet of .005” styrene. Now the cars have lots of weight but will look realistic when unloaded. Some
of the cars will be loaded so they got regular chunky weights.

Next stop paint shop.

Craig.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 09:55:54 PM by craigolio1 »

Dave V

• Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +4530
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2019, 09:51:45 PM »
+2
I took a few photos of the Modutrak layout this morning at the Mad City Model Railroad Show.  Show attendance was very light today; most likely because of the snow falling all day. (Attachment Link)

Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +455
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2019, 09:53:23 PM »
I finally got back to work on my Briggs Dash-8. A few touch ups and some more weathering to go, but I thought a quick photo would be prudent.

As always nice work on the Weekend Update.

Chris

Great job Chris!  Mine are awaiting final assembly. Not having much luck getting the trucks to run smoothly.

Craig

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1894
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2019, 10:48:15 PM »
+1
I sold off a few surplus gems to make room in the budget for some more interesting retro stuff, well, interesting to 13 year old me... 

I'll have more to post once the mailbox starts loading up, but I'm pleased to report that I'm fresh from winning an auction for less than the offer I made to the seller 4 days ago...  Patience is a virtue!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2019, 11:33:05 PM »
+2

Fab modeling!
Your Modutrak hawt-stuff hella inspired me when I first got back into the hobby, & has always set the bar for module work.
Heck, any work.

Almost makes me wish I lived closer.
But snow is cold  :facepalm:

Curious about that electric loco in the background of image 8.
Looks mighty similar to some of the stuff the Sacramento Northern ran:

Something I've always wanted to build.
Any deets on that one?
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +622
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2019, 12:30:02 AM »

Looks mighty similar to some of the stuff the Sacramento Northern ran:

Any deets on that one?

If anybody had a drawing of that or knew a source I'd love to get a copy, too. 8)  Anything similar style would be of interest, too. 8)
Mark G.

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +422
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2019, 12:38:19 AM »
+6

Any deets on that one?

Thanks for the kind words M.C. Much appreciated!

The module the electric loco is on is depicting Powerton Junction in Fort Francis, Wisconsin south of Milwaukee. The Milwaukee Road would haul coal to the interchange there where The Milwaukee Electric Rail & Light would carry it east to the Lake Power plant.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The model is a modified Baldwin Westinghouse shell available from Shapeways on a Bandai 3 powered chassis which the shell was specifically designed for.
The railings are made from .008 pb wire and the trolley pole came from Miniatures by Eric.
I reworked the porches, hood sides, added Archer rivet detail decals and other road specific details to create TMER&L locomotive L4. It has a Digitrax DZ126t decoder and 0603 LED lighting. It runs nicely.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:25:53 AM by Jim Starbuck »
Modutrak- Iowa Division
Modutrak.com

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +714
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2019, 07:06:04 AM »
+2
Since video is so much cooler than still photos, here's a youtube link that a buddy of mine took at the Mad City Show this past weekend.  The T1 is mine as is the Royal American Shows carnival train.

Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +636
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2019, 07:22:14 AM »
Nice video .. I hope to see the set up in person some day

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +622
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2019, 07:26:37 AM »
+1
The model is a modified Baldwin Westinghouse shell available from Shapeways on a Bandai 3 powered chassis which the shell was specifically designed for.
Jim

I REALLY like that! 8)
Mark G.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2019, 07:37:07 AM »
My decades-old kitbash is finally approaching completion -- a heavily reworked MP enginehouse grafted to part ot a modified Walthers Allied Rail Rebiulders (I think). After that patch any holes in walls and foundations. Then touch-up painting.

I'm replacing the Walthers clerestory with the same design of swing-open windows I used on the NCC model I built for John Colombo. Still haven't finished that first set yet.

There is a rail served loading dock. The rollup door -- the other one is a disused door.

Last job will be adding a shitload of vents stacks stovepipes exhausts blowers etc to the roofs and walls. Look like a Willie Wonka factory when I'm done.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +801
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2019, 11:17:40 AM »
+2
Another very similar (identical?) electric motor like that was on the Texas Transportation Company trackage in San Antonio (Pearl Brewery) up until about 2002.  I actually got to see it run and got shots of it.   There were two freight motors, one is preserved on site but I still can't find out what happened to this one.   http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/index.php?media/texas-transportation-company-san-antonio-texas.27940/full&d=1194125690

Only disposition I can find is 'stored at San Antonio', I hope so.

My outstanding memory of that day I saw it running was not only the luck and incredulity of seeing it, but the unbelievably awful condition of the track to the SP interchange.   Take Atlas Code 55 flex, beat it with a hammer, tie it in a knot, straighten it back out, glue it down, and you'd be close.

The other incredible thing in the shots I got was it was hauling a Conrail boxcar, so there's no doubt on the vintage and juxtaposition of one of those ancient Westinghouse electric motors dragging around an insulated car for beer.  What's not to love?   Still rates as one my rarest all-time shots.   Betcha didn't know that one lasted that long, but it did.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:31:14 AM by randgust »

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2019, 11:46:14 AM »

Thanks Jim!
Amazing work.
& it runs fine on C55 with those bigass flanges?

I've always wanted to model sections of the Sacramento Northern, especially a module of the interchange yard at 40th & Shafter:

https://www.wplives.org/sn/shafter.html

Great streetrunning stuff:

Including this fab waiting room / interlocking tower (building #2 above):

Now with this loco shell there's really no excuse  :facepalm:
Great--now I feel the mmr bug worming its way back into me brain  :scared:

M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1216
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2019, 12:08:20 PM »
+1
Another very similar (identical?) electric motor like that was on the Texas Transportation Company trackage in San Antonio (Pearl Brewery) up until about 2002.  I actually got to see it run and got shots of it.   There were two freight motors, one is preserved on site but I still can't find out what happened to this one.   http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/index.php?media/texas-transportation-company-san-antonio-texas.27940/full&d=1194125690. ...

We were wandering around San Antonio in the mid-'90s and stumbled into "Wow! That's trolley overhead!" after several wrong turns around the tourist areas. I had heard of the Pearl Brewing operation, but not living anywhere close never had reason to pursue it. We followed the wires to the brewery, but unfortunately we were there on a Sunday so the possibility of seeing action was zero.

... Great streetrunning stuff:

You planning on training spiders to build that overhead? :D  I did a little bit of wire maintenance at a trolley museum when I was a kid so sort of know what's involved, but I wouldn't touch that mess with a 10-foot (insulated) pole.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross