Author Topic: Atlas February Announcements  (Read 4176 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
Re: Atlas February Announcements
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2019, 04:57:12 PM »
Atlas is not Intermountain so at least we will see the models soon.

I don’t preorder from either anymore.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2019, 07:31:46 PM »
I don’t preorder from either anymore.

Given the state of model manufacturing pressure and JIT development, pre-scheduling and disjointed liaison over continents (I wonder if Atlas makes as many journeys to China as Jason@Rapido does appears to?) it is inevitable.
Don't blame manufacturers for expanded announcements that take into account the broad whims and desires of loud-shouters foamer frenzy, then ignore the requests for pre-orders when offered.
It is a self-defeating premise.

I don't have a large budget at all- but in last year I've preordered typical pieces that I wanted to have knowing they would sell out; and leave the bulk to pick up later after-market. In my internet stupor I've missed some cars I'd dearly love to have from 2 years ago. That's just the way it is.
d

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:42:45 PM by GaryHinshaw »

Craig Tyska

• Respect: 0
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2019, 08:14:38 PM »
I wonder what color Atlas will use for the Amtk. ballast cars. Lime or bold lime paint. 

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2019, 04:17:49 PM »
+1
Given the state of model manufacturing pressure and JIT development, pre-scheduling and disjointed liaison over continents (I wonder if Atlas makes as many journeys to China as Jason@Rapido does appears to?) it is inevitable.
Don't blame manufacturers for expanded announcements that take into account the broad whims and desires of loud-shouters foamer frenzy, then ignore the requests for pre-orders when offered.
It is a self-defeating premise.

I don't have a large budget at all- but in last year I've preordered typical pieces that I wanted to have knowing they would sell out; and leave the bulk to pick up later after-market. In my internet stupor I've missed some cars I'd dearly love to have from 2 years ago. That's just the way it is.
d

What I find interesting is that how several much smaller companies have a continuous influx of new products and seem less inclined to rely on pre orders. While other larger ones seem to continue to trip over their own feet and have large extended periods with nothing new. Wild dynamic. A large part of the hobby is to collecting aspect of it and when new products dry up or are 2-3 years out I lose interest and my money goes to other hobbies and interest.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2019, 06:39:32 PM »
^^^^

Brian to a large extent I agree.
I guess the larger companies 'risk profile' is significantly softer with such large inventories AND less purchasing within the supply chain. Smaller seem to have a better grasp and more aggressive control (as one would do when livelihood and not hobby business) over them. Those who have pre-orders (WoT/ Rapido etc.) appear to have greater confidence as they've done deep soul searching before manufacture. Bigger companies maybe are "whats next?".

Tho great e-tailers in East seen to consume vast amounts, their margins look (IMHO) designed to produce cash flow and continuance rather than big-name expansion like capitalism is supposed to foster.

regards
dave

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 10:30:15 AM »
If I were still in N scale, I'd be in for the RF&P cars.

I have one of the old RF&P ones that I'll happily find a new home for. It'd look good rolling through Ashland.