Author Topic: scaletrains.com C39-8  (Read 2864 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1793
    • Conrail 1285
Re: scaletrains.com C39-8
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2019, 09:37:45 PM »
Oh well, I guess I can use my Atlas C40-8 units in several schemes for my fictitious Midwest switching district.  Thanks, thought there might be a chance they got elsewhere.

Well, I recently heard the PN just picked up some used CSX SD50s (or 60s) so I wouldn't be surprised if these mosy on somewhere else.

They're non-descript enough that they'll fit right in on many similar operations.

edge8300

• Respect: +1
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2019, 10:08:44 PM »
I would agree.  Although I mentioned before that mine were "leasers" they are technically PN, but I will be using them as beautifully modeled leasers as I do ALL my blue Conrail locomotives.  (Sorry Ed, this may be sacrilege to you, but that blue fades and weathers so beautifully to my eye for lease engines and allows me to run many different types on my tracks as lease locos).

Well, I recently heard the PN just picked up some used CSX SD50s (or 60s) so I wouldn't be surprised if these mosy on somewhere else.

They're non-descript enough that they'll fit right in on many similar operations.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2019, 09:07:35 AM »
+2
The issue with mine appears to be BEMF related. At STC's suggestion, I played around with CV56 a bit (lowering it) and that seems to have smoothed things out significantly. In fact, it's probably perfect now, but my eyes keep wanting to see tiny little changes in speed that likely aren't really there.

-Mark

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2019, 11:43:24 AM »
I just received my Penn NE (ex-CR) C39.

As others have written, it's beautifully done. It looks much better in person than some of the photos Scale Trains has on their web site (close-up photography and lighting can be brutal in N scale -- and in general).

As in the Tier 4's, I can onle remark: "What's with those enormous couplers ST uses?!"
Bill McBride

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1570
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2019, 03:14:15 PM »

As in the Tier 4's, I can onle remark: "What's with those enormous couplers ST uses?!"

I've been scratching  my head and asking the same question multiple times (basically, every time Scale Trains releases a new model).  Those "UG" (Ugly-Oversize) couplers make no sense for a company which strives for prototype accuracy and in-scale details.  Especially since the coupler is their own design (looks like McHenry clone to me).  They supposedly revised the coupler since the first model release, but I can't see any difference. One redeeming thing is that those coupler pockets will accept MTL couplers without any modifications.

There are other, smaller couplers they could have chosen to imitate, but since (IIRC) some of the top people in Scale Trains came from Athearn, I guess the McHenry connection is explainable.  Too bad.
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon