Author Topic: scaletrains.com C39-8  (Read 8865 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7957
    • Conrail 1285
Re: scaletrains.com C39-8
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2019, 09:37:45 PM »
Oh well, I guess I can use my Atlas C40-8 units in several schemes for my fictitious Midwest switching district.  Thanks, thought there might be a chance they got elsewhere.

Well, I recently heard the PN just picked up some used CSX SD50s (or 60s) so I wouldn't be surprised if these mosy on somewhere else.

They're non-descript enough that they'll fit right in on many similar operations.

edge8300

• Respect: +2
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2019, 10:08:44 PM »
I would agree.  Although I mentioned before that mine were "leasers" they are technically PN, but I will be using them as beautifully modeled leasers as I do ALL my blue Conrail locomotives.  (Sorry Ed, this may be sacrilege to you, but that blue fades and weathers so beautifully to my eye for lease engines and allows me to run many different types on my tracks as lease locos).

Well, I recently heard the PN just picked up some used CSX SD50s (or 60s) so I wouldn't be surprised if these mosy on somewhere else.

They're non-descript enough that they'll fit right in on many similar operations.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2019, 09:07:35 AM »
+2
The issue with mine appears to be BEMF related. At STC's suggestion, I played around with CV56 a bit (lowering it) and that seems to have smoothed things out significantly. In fact, it's probably perfect now, but my eyes keep wanting to see tiny little changes in speed that likely aren't really there.

-Mark

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2019, 11:43:24 AM »
I just received my Penn NE (ex-CR) C39.

As others have written, it's beautifully done. It looks much better in person than some of the photos Scale Trains has on their web site (close-up photography and lighting can be brutal in N scale -- and in general).

As in the Tier 4's, I can onle remark: "What's with those enormous couplers ST uses?!"
Bill McBride

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2019, 03:14:15 PM »

As in the Tier 4's, I can onle remark: "What's with those enormous couplers ST uses?!"

I've been scratching  my head and asking the same question multiple times (basically, every time Scale Trains releases a new model).  Those "UG" (Ugly-Oversize) couplers make no sense for a company which strives for prototype accuracy and in-scale details.  Especially since the coupler is their own design (looks like McHenry clone to me).  They supposedly revised the coupler since the first model release, but I can't see any difference. One redeeming thing is that those coupler pockets will accept MTL couplers without any modifications.

There are other, smaller couplers they could have chosen to imitate, but since (IIRC) some of the top people in Scale Trains came from Athearn, I guess the McHenry connection is explainable.  Too bad.
. . . 42 . . .

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2019, 05:23:27 PM »
Have you actually tried changing out the couplers yet on these?

I tried today with 1015's and they will not fit into the pocket. 

To say I am getting frustrated with their couplers is to say the least.  The debacle with the hard coupling carbon black hoppers and the tendency to explode, coupled with the problems with this locomotive accepting MTL couplers is extremely frustrating.  Seems like ST really doesn't give a crap about fixing a problem that is the simplest one to fix.  Their response about the hard coupling exploding couplers in the carbon black hoppers was well we can send you some new ones to just put on. 

Sitting her looking at the pile of 4785 hoppers I bought is now giving me second thoughts!  It is like having a landrover in the drive looks pretty as can be but doesn't run unless surgery is performed on it regularly.

Come on guys it is almost 2020 and you have the crappiest couplers, right up there with the accumate and mchenry abominations.

I've been scratching  my head and asking the same question multiple times (basically, every time Scale Trains releases a new model).  Those "UG" (Ugly-Oversize) couplers make no sense for a company which strives for prototype accuracy and in-scale details.  Especially since the coupler is their own design (looks like McHenry clone to me).  They supposedly revised the coupler since the first model release, but I can't see any difference. One redeeming thing is that those coupler pockets will accept MTL couplers without any modifications.

There are other, smaller couplers they could have chosen to imitate, but since (IIRC) some of the top people in Scale Trains came from Athearn, I guess the McHenry connection is explainable.  Too bad.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 06:04:51 PM by ridinshotgun »

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2019, 05:40:30 PM »
Have you actually tried changing out the couplers yet on these?

I tried today with 1115's and they will not fit into the pocket. 

To say I am getting frustrated with their couplers is to say the least.  The debacle with the hard coupling carbon black hoppers and the tendency to explode, coupled with the problems with this locomotive accepting MTL couplers is extremely frustrating.  Seems like ST really doesn't give a crap about fixing a problem that is the simplest one to fix.  Their response about the hard coupling exploding couplers in the carbon black hoppers was well we can send you some new ones to just put on. 

Sitting her looking at the pile of 4785 hoppers I bought is now giving me second thoughts!  It is like having a landrover in the drive looks pretty as can be but doesn't run unless surgery is performed on it regularly.

Come on guys it is almost 2020 and you have the crappiest couplers, right up there with the accumate and mchenry abominations.

I have not (as I don't own any C39-8s).
I was just making a general comment about those things Scale Trains calls couplers.  :x
I only own their UP Turbine set, and the first thing I did was to replace their couplers with MTLs. But in that case they were a drop-in install in the original coupler boxes.  At least they made the changeover easy on those models.
. . . 42 . . .

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2019, 02:52:55 PM »
I'd be interested to know what's not working when trying to install the 1015s.

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2019, 03:11:48 PM »
The pocket is too small to accept the 1015 box. Both in height (just barely) and width (about 2mm).  And the pocket is metal so there isn't much trimming to be done there and the MTL coupler box, if trimmed that much, will no longer have any sides left.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2019, 03:45:47 PM »
The pocket is too small to accept the 1015 box. Both in height (just barely) and width (about 2mm).  And the pocket is metal so there isn't much trimming to be done there and the MTL coupler box, if trimmed that much, will no longer have any sides left.

Hmm . . . On the UP turbine I used the original Scale Trains coupler box. Even the manual booklet states that it is a drop-in fit. It was really easy,  The Scale Trains box even has the slots in it which are needed for the MTL shank to operate properly.  So the conversion is easy. Open the Scale Trains box, remove the Scale Trains coupler, then install the MTL coupler and spring.  Put the lid on and you're done.

I wonder if the same can be done with the C39-8, or did they redesign the coupler box and it is no longer a drop-in conversion that accepts the MTL coupler (without its box)?
. . . 42 . . .

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2019, 06:12:48 PM »
Hmm . . . On the UP turbine I used the original Scale Trains coupler box. Even the manual booklet states that it is a drop-in fit. It was really easy,  The Scale Trains box even has the slots in it which are needed for the MTL shank to operate properly.  So the conversion is easy. Open the Scale Trains box, remove the Scale Trains coupler, then install the MTL coupler and spring.  Put the lid on and you're done.

I wonder if the same can be done with the C39-8, or did they redesign the coupler box and it is no longer a drop-in conversion that accepts the MTL coupler (without its box)?

The operator's manual says nothing in regards to MTL couplers.  I had a long conversation with Shane at ST 2 years ago at Altoona, first about the problems I was having in regards to the carbon black hopper couplers and the upcoming C39 couplers.  He told me at that time that the 1015 were a direct fit.  To me the 1015 is the whole shebang including the draft box.  Nothing about retrofitting MTL guts into the ST draft box was mentioned.

I'll have to take it apart again and see how the draft boxes come apart.  I know that there are tiny detail pieces glued onto the draft box so I figured it was glued shut

Nobody else that has modern production locos does that.  Why would they?  :facepalm:

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2019, 06:25:49 PM »

Nobody else that has modern production locos does that.  Why would they?  :facepalm:

That is a question I ask myself quite often when examining a design of a brand new model.  The designers seem to have a desire (for whatever reasons) to reinvent something that is a proven design, and which works very well on another model.
. . . 42 . . .

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2019, 10:35:13 PM »
+1
Okay when I got a minute I headed to the basement to get out my C39...

ridinshotgun, you have to open up the Scale Trains box and assemble the 1015 shanks into the box.  You cannot use the 1015 box from MT.   A lot of manufacturers are doing it this way now (although usually with factory installed 1015 clone shanks.)  Also the ScaleTrains box looks better.

My C39 coupler boxes do not have any glue or any extra parts attached to them.  They are just better looking versions of the MT box, designed to fit their loco's pilot.

I don't know if I'll have the bandwith to post pictures, but I suspect Pete would recognize the design as similar if not identical to the turbine box.

The design of the Scale Trains coupler itself is, well, interesting.  But I'm not really motivated to go into detail about something I'm basically going to discard.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:37:23 PM by jagged ben »

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2019, 12:03:51 AM »
Update: 

I lost the rear air-hose in this whole operation.  It went sproing three times and actually I was lucky to find it quickly, twice, then third time was the opposite of a charm.  I mean, who really cares about the air hose especially on the rear when you have that unrealistic coupler (either ST or MT) practically hiding it.  (It is a nice air-hose detail, I must admit.)   Just warning anyone about this.   If the coupler box sticks it might be factory glue on the air hose, they didn't really separate them.  You'll likely have the air hose come out when removing the coupler box.

My forward 1015 shanks are a bit sticky in the box, perhaps due to some flash somewhere.  The rear one centered freely. 

Maybe I'll get to posting pics tomorrow.

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2019, 09:09:38 AM »
Update: 

I lost the rear air-hose in this whole operation.  It went sproing three times and actually I was lucky to find it quickly, twice, then third time was the opposite of a charm.  I mean, who really cares about the air hose especially on the rear when you have that unrealistic coupler (either ST or MT) practically hiding it.  (It is a nice air-hose detail, I must admit.)   Just warning anyone about this.   If the coupler box sticks it might be factory glue on the air hose, they didn't really separate them.  You'll likely have the air hose come out when removing the coupler box.

My forward 1015 shanks are a bit sticky in the box, perhaps due to some flash somewhere.  The rear one centered freely. 

Maybe I'll get to posting pics tomorrow.

Thanks for this.    I also found this quote from spookshow
“ I'm told that Atlas Accumate couplers are a good replacement option (they reportedly drop right into the stock Scaletrains draft box).”
Steve