Author Topic: scaletrains.com C39-8  (Read 2865 times)

Albersala

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: scaletrains.com C39-8
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2019, 01:26:30 PM »
I think that only the Pennsylvania Northeastern versions have operating ditch lights.

peteski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1570
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2019, 03:20:16 PM »
1 LED for the headlight, 1 LED for the backup light, and 1 LED for each of the numberboards (4).

-Mark

Yeah, but I would imagine that at  least each pair of numberboards is controlled by a single function output.  I never seen a model where you could separately control illumination of each numberboard.
--- Peteski de Snarkski
--- Honorary Resident Curmudgeon

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2019, 04:27:18 PM »
Yeah, but I would imagine that at  least each pair of numberboards is controlled by a single function output.  I never seen a model where you could separately control illumination of each numberboard.

I neither said nor implied anything like that. All I was clarifying was what each of the 6 LEDs was illuminating.

-Mark

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2019, 04:28:42 PM »
I think that only the Pennsylvania Northeastern versions have operating ditch lights.

Thanks, that's good to know. My Conrail unit doesn't have any ditchlights, so I would've been completely obliverous about that.

-Mark

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »

Actually, on Norfolk Southern prototypes the numberboards flash along with the ditchlights when the engineer blows the horn.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2019, 06:14:32 PM »
Actually, on Norfolk Southern prototypes the numberboards flash along with the ditchlights when the engineer blows the horn.

Allrigthy then. . . .
If they have the model do the same, then all the power to them.  :)
--- Peteski de Snarkski

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2019, 07:03:06 PM »
Allrigthy then. . . .
If they have the model do the same, then all the power to them.  :)

I was just trying to see how gullible you are.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2019, 08:04:42 PM »
I was just trying to see how gullible you are.

C'mon you know better . . . 
--- Peteski de Snarkski

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2019, 12:25:48 AM »
C'mon you know better . . .

I honestly wasn't sure.   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2019, 01:16:33 PM »
Any of these turned in for lease units that now switch regularly at industrial parks, etc.?  Only way I could justify one.  Did see an NREX and NSSA proto photo but don't know much more.

edge8300

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2019, 04:51:05 PM »
I got 2 ex contrail lease-r’s in today. Got them programmed to my settings and in a consist.  I love the fact I can see the painted over logo and the paint is a bit lighter (faded). I’ve been doing this same thing to conrail units for a while now. Fits perfectly into my fleet from the factory (minus some weathering)

Honestly, they are very quiet runners, quieter than most of the Atlas I’ve gotten recently with factory sound (with the sound turned off). I haven’t seen any electrical pickup/running issues at all so far. Only ran them for about an hour straight so far. Speaker sounds good/great.

I turned the volume down, but not as much as I normally do because I like the sound of that chug!!  I slowed one sound file from 128 to 124 to avoid phasing, seemed to be pretty great that way.

Running in a consist without being coupled for the last 20 min and they are about 8 inches apart after starting 2 inches apart. I’d say that’s good enough a speed tune to live in a consist.   One forward, one reverse.

So far, I’m very impressed with both the performance, sound, and level of detail. This is my first experience with Scale Trains.

E. J.

CONRAIL FAN

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2019, 07:02:20 PM »
Received my Conrail unit in the mail today. I’m very impressed on the amount of details and the smoothness of the motor.
JEROME

edge8300

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2019, 07:37:14 PM »
I'll be honest, this post caused me to buy 2. Very impressed once I received them.

I just keep getting impressed with each new N scale offering from ST. The detail is mind boggling. The handrails and grab ons are as thin as the custom brass ones I’ve made in the past. Will test run later and report back. It’s hard to see, but the absolute flat paint gives it an almost weathered look right out of the box. The effect is so much nicer than the semi gloss paint most manufacturers use.

I may need to get a photo of this with its prototype, since the real one is sitting about 15 minutes away.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2019, 12:33:52 PM »
+1
Any of these turned in for lease units that now switch regularly at industrial parks, etc.?  Only way I could justify one.  Did see an NREX and NSSA proto photo but don't know much more.

If you are referring to the Pennsylvania Northeastern (PN) ones, all they do is switching on their short line with various industries, and drop cars off for Interchange with CSX.

They are the only ones active on the rails today.  Not sure about leases in the 90's .

http://www.pnrailroad.com/

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2019, 06:08:40 PM »
If you are referring to the Pennsylvania Northeastern (PN) ones, all they do is switching on their short line with various industries, and drop cars off for Interchange with CSX.

They are the only ones active on the rails today.  Not sure about leases in the 90's .

http://www.pnrailroad.com/

Oh well, I guess I can use my Atlas C40-8 units in several schemes for my fictitious Midwest switching district.  Thanks, thought there might be a chance they got elsewhere.