Author Topic: scaletrains.com C39-8  (Read 3373 times)

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
Re: scaletrains.com C39-8
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 11:37:52 AM »
Got mine today haven't test ran it yet, but these excellent models bar none. I went out of era for these as I model the late 60s to late 70s, but like the boxy look of the early dash 8s 8) (Attachment Link)

Your photo looks a lot better than some on the ST site. The blue handrails there looked off-color (perhaps the lighting they used).
Bill McBride

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 06:03:09 PM »
+3
I just keep getting impressed with each new N scale offering from ST. The detail is mind boggling. The handrails and grab ons are as thin as the custom brass ones I’ve made in the past. Will test run later and report back. It’s hard to see, but the absolute flat paint gives it an almost weathered look right out of the box. The effect is so much nicer than the semi gloss paint most manufacturers use.

I may need to get a photo of this with its prototype, since the real one is sitting about 15 minutes away.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:14:03 PM by Smike »

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 08:08:35 PM »
I got a chance to see these up close at Trainfest and was very impressed.  These aren't even close to the era that I model (er, collect), but my son does have some modern stuff, that may allow me to justify buying one of these.

Scott

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +492
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 07:14:28 PM »
Anyone know if the sound is improved over the T4 Gevo? Mine have not come in yet.
You've crossed the walls, excelled
Further along through their hell
All for my heart, I watch you kill
You always have, you always will
Now spread your wings and sail out to me

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +173
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 08:47:48 PM »
Anyone know if the sound is improved over the T4 Gevo? Mine have not come in yet.

The HO C39 is one of the best I've heard. I have not heard the N version yet.

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 09:02:48 PM »
I ran one of these today at the home of @Gileng4 and his layout. This thing is beautiful. It's too new for me, but it is spectacular. Out of the box, the sound is at an appropriate volume and perfect slow speeds.
No farms, no food.

Support your local farmer's market!

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 12:44:08 AM »
Does anyone know what the CV is to turn off the lights to the number boards? Or at least make them directional?

Edit- apparently I disappeared the first part of my post.

I got one of the NS ones, and the details are excellent. The loco runs smoothly,  although I'd like the prime mover sound to be a little louder. When I run it with my IM SD40-2's the EMD whine tends to drown out the GE chug. I'll also try turning down the prime mover sound on the Sd's. Very happy with it so far.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:50:25 AM by squirrelhunter »

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 12:58:21 AM »
Does anyone know what the CV is to turn off the lights to the number boards? Or at least make them directional?

Edit- apparently I disappeared the first part of my post.

I got one of the NS ones, and the details are excellent. The loco runs smoothly,  although I'd like the prime mover sound to be a little louder. When I run it with my IM SD40-2's the EMD whine tends to drown out the GE chug. I'll also try turning down the prime mover sound on the Sd's. Very happy with it so far.

If it’s like the Tier 4 GEVOs. Then it’s not possible sadly. Maybe with the LokSound v5s and more outputs it will become a possibility.

Chris
Attempting to model the SP in 2012...

CONRAIL FAN

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 05:04:32 PM »
Ive been waiting for these to add to my CR roster. Are the marker lights functional at all?
JEROME

martin station

• Respect: +2
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 07:18:23 PM »
 Hi,
   I'm a long time listner, first time caller! (first post). Smike, great photos. I purchased the same locomotive you did, PN 8212 and am quite pleased with it. At first when I opened the box I noticed that my engine was not setting in cradle as it should, but the nose was jammed into the forward part of the package but after removing it and looking it over, everything looked good with no damage and wheel gauge and coupler hight was spot on. In fact I thought the assembly quality was better than my tier 4 GEVO's.
   Mine is dcc/sound ready and runs great. Jerome, mine being a later version has the marker lights blanked out. The other lighting including ditch lights works and looks great.
Ralph

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 07:24:53 AM »
Ive been waiting for these to add to my CR roster. Are the marker lights functional at all?

No, lighting is limited to the numberboards, headlight and backup light (6 separate LEDs).

-Mark

Smike

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 08:11:25 AM »
Hi,
   I'm a long time listner, first time caller! (first post). Smike, great photos. I purchased the same locomotive you did, PN 8212 and am quite pleased with it. At first when I opened the box I noticed that my engine was not setting in cradle as it should, but the nose was jammed into the forward part of the package but after removing it and looking it over, everything looked good with no damage and wheel gauge and coupler hight was spot on. In fact I thought the assembly quality was better than my tier 4 GEVO's.
   Mine is dcc/sound ready and runs great. Jerome, mine being a later version has the marker lights blanked out. The other lighting including ditch lights works and looks great.
Ralph

Awesome, welcome to the darkside... um...The Railwire  :D 

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +178
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 08:27:11 AM »
No, lighting is limited to the numberboards, headlight and backup light (6 separate LEDs).

-Mark

Separate LEDs for each headlight lens?  That's interesting.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2019, 09:22:07 AM »

1 LED for the headlight, 1 LED for the backup light, and 1 LED for each of the numberboards (4).

-Mark

Smike

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 10:34:14 AM »

I think I saw it had 2 separate LED's for the ditch light equipt units.