Author Topic: Progress on Nn3 Mine Equipment Project  (Read 3519 times)

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
Progress on Nn3 Mine Equipment Project
« on: January 25, 2019, 01:45:48 AM »
+5
Finally making progress that I can show and you can see. ;)  Here are a bunch of pics of recently completed prototypes that should give a sense of where I'm going with this.  It's been several years in the making with plenty more to do, all mine train and related equipment to allow for a true operating mine loco scene.  This recent rapid progress is in no small part to do with the acquisition of a 3D printer as mentioned in the 3D printing forum.  While this is primarily to satisfy my own itch I expect I will be offering the various parts for sale, most likely RTR.  Track system, turnouts, rolling stock, mine locos, and all sorts of related equipment would be my ultimate goal.

The pics I have taken here show the mine tipper car and code 40 Nn3 tie pieces for a hybrid, hand laid, flex track.  The track has ties of nominal size 7"x 6 1/2"x 80" on 24" centers, tie plate detail, and sets the gauge at .260" target dimension.  It should hold that dimension within a very tight tolerance (absolute max .002") on an NMRA Z track spec of .257"/ .270".  Research of prototypical mine track as well as the tie thickness offered by Fast-Track's "Quick Sticks", and Atlas Z gauge flex track and turnouts was considered in selecting the tie thickness. 

The tipper cars have separate hoppers that can be staged tipped or in hauling position (and easier to detail paint), removable coal load or ore load, FV 24" metal wheels, true link and pin couplers, a long and short version as well as a brake version (to be announced), and a fixed knuckle coupler to adapt to standard MT knuckle couplers or for those who want the convenience of using knuckles, avoiding the more tedious assembly of links and pins.  I am entertaining offering a fixed, rigid frame mounted knuckle option too, depending on folks interest.  There will be at least two more versions of mine cars as well as maintenance flats, man trip cars, and etc. 

I am showing a concrete mine portal piece, possibly to be used for my own mine, but really being used to develop size and detail.  Wood styles, stone,  single and double track, concrete, etc. are expected to be offered. 

Nothing out there is really available for this type of operation but I'm intending to do something about that.  I can't wait to see the first full mine train, loco and all, rolling out the entrance. 8) :)

Pics, and maybe not in a great order, are various shots of the tipper cars, my Code 40 Nn3 track, and a test concrete mine portal.  In the pic is also a 44 Tonner and hopper for a size reference and various track pieces for comparison, including Atlas "Z" flex track, Rokuhan "Z" scale road bed track, N scale road bed track under the 44 Tonner, and two pieces of my code 40 Nn3 track.  It is all sitting on a small foam piece that I just painted.  It will be getting the first operational test of the track and will see many hours of service as a loco and equipment test track. 

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The eye in the coupler pins in this pic have been reduced in size and now look like the rest of the pics. 

The coupler knuckle is made much shorter than the MT "Z" coupler.  It's about 40% smaller in profile but functionally mates perfectly.  A full size coupler on these cars would not only be incorrect but would look downright silly. :D

And finally, an overstuffed hard rock mine load. :scared:  That needs to be lowered. :D

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 02:56:55 AM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

narrowminded

• Crew
Re: Progress on Nn3 Mine Equipment Project
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 02:04:36 AM »
+3
And here are the track focused pics.  Code 40 Nn3 Tie bed with track added after bed is layed.  The track is made with every tie connected to aid in alignment when laying straight track and then for curves, snip alternating bridge pieces to afford flex.  The rail is then fitted and glued to the track bed.  The tie plates set the gauge very accurately.  The glue is Pliobond as commonly used in hand laid track and switches.  The ties are evenly spaced but are randomly shifted slightly from side to side for a more realistic effect. 

More pics:

The difference between Nn3 and Atlas "Z"

This is un underside view with the bridging pieces snipped to allow a curve.

This is a view of the tie piece joining guides in use.  The one shows the two pieces with a gap and the other shows two pieces butted.  The spacing is held perfectly and nicely guided and the joint is undetectable.  There is a pocket in the left piece that receives the projecting guides/ bed from the right piece.  They can just be positioned and glued to the base or the pins can be glued into the pocket on the bench if there is a desire to handle the tie pieces as one long piece.

Is this radius tight enough? :o  Just did it to see if I could.  Point is, you can make what you want.  If I was actually making a radius anywhere near this I think I would snip every bridging piece on the outside rail so the ties would lay more uniform, not so obviously in pairs.

That'll keep the little ---- busy. :facepalm:  We're moving along. 8)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:40:25 PM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1776
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 02:46:44 AM »
Whoa... that's some good work there.  The tipper cars look really nice!

Sooooo.... tell me more about that tiny coupler.  You say it mates up with an MTL Z scale coupler?  Can it "mate" as in, can you just push two of them together and have them couple?

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 02:53:24 AM »
Whoa... that's some good work there.  The tipper cars look really nice!

Sooooo.... tell me more about that tiny coupler.  You say it mates up with an MTL Z scale coupler?  Can it "mate" as in, can you just push two of them together and have them couple?

Thanks, Max.  No, the coupler must be set on.  It's more like an Accumate and has no centering spring.  It is intended to allow coupling to existing rolling stock or locos with knuckle couplers.  Once coupled it can't escape the coupler in any position without lifting it off. 

I have already tested something for the link and pin couplers that will allow for "ops" running.  Trains will still be units, though.
Mark G.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5506
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 03:20:51 AM »
+2
So I obviously like V-tippers and have a bunch myself.  :P

They are generally used for construction work like hauling dirt and gravel. For a "mine" (I assume you mean coal) you see some of these:

/>
Just like the tippers though finding small wheels would be a problem.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:27:45 AM by Chris333 »

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 03:31:04 AM »
So I obviously like V-tippers and have a bunch myself.  :P

They are generally used for construction work like hauling dirt and gravel. For a "mine" (I assume you mean coal) you see some of these:

Just like the tippers though finding small wheels would be a problem.

Both of those cars you pictured are on my list of cars to make, at least by style.  The second one I will probably make in a metal version and maybe wood, too.  There are so many.  Smaller wheels is one reason I haven't done it yet but I can make them, any size I want, although they start to get funky on less than perfect track.  I will make my prototypes here but to make them for sale will require some time at the real shop with the real CNC.  Then I can have many hundreds in a day. 8)  I've got some other things to do first, though.

I also want to make a wooden end dump style. 8)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 04:02:22 AM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 06:41:16 AM »
I was just trying to shame you into doing all the work so I could bug you to scale them to HO. I need a few static for my layout, will probably shrink them a hair and go with 15" mine gauge. Would be silly to make them 36" when the BIG trains are only 30".

That track looks like fun. I would still paint it so the UV doesn't get to it.

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 11:35:29 AM »
I was just trying to shame you into doing all the work so I could bug you to scale them to HO. I need a few static for my layout, will probably shrink them a hair and go with 15" mine gauge. Would be silly to make them 36" when the BIG trains are only 30".

Do you mean the tippers? :|  What do you need? :)

That track looks like fun. I would still paint it so the UV doesn't get to it.

One of them is painted.  I plan to paint ties as well as rail if only for the cosmetics.  Do you have one of those Nn3 damaged layouts that might take a track replacement?  :| Hmmm. ;)

I'm still curious about just how bad this embrittlement issue is.  I would not be at all surprised if direct continuous sunlight could cause a problem as it will damage a lot of plastic products.  From the reading I've done, seeing these complaints surface but then often from folks who reference their experience with the Nylon string printers, it makes me think this might be them comparing the resin to the nylon which will be as they say, no surprise.  But have they ever worked with FUD? :| :)  I have distributed various pieces of material about the house to see what they do over time, get my own sense of this.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:11:51 PM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 12:08:12 PM »
What ever happened to all the different micro mechanisms you were working on?
Searails recently announced that the PowerMAX chassis will no longer be available separately, so now there's a genuine need for a reliable tiny mechanism. I'm still chomping at the bit to see one of your mechanisms.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 12:14:26 PM »
What ever happened to all the different micro mechanisms you were working on?
Searails recently announced that the PowerMAX chassis will no longer be available separately, so now there's a genuine need for a reliable tiny mechanism. I'm still chomping at the bit to see one of your mechanisms.

Very much in the works. 8)  The functioning design and testing is done, all working well. 8)  This is what it was all about but they needed track and things to go with them. :)
Mark G.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 02:27:05 PM »

Truly awesome video! I just wish they didn't bother with the sound--yikes! Crazy noise.

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 07:02:30 AM »
+1
 I think I have an answer for the wheel problem for the wooden mine cars.  I will refine it some more but much to my surprise, again, it works!  And they roll really nice.  This is a 6 spoke, 18" Nn3 wheel and for comparison I shot a regular 33" wheel with it.  I think these will be right for that wooden style from your first picture.  Seeing this I think I can do some 16", too.  I don't think I will need anything smaller.  Looks like I can add designing a couple of more cars to my list. 8)

Mark G.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 07:05:42 AM »
+1
 :D

narrowminded

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 08:35:33 AM »
Thanks, Chris.  That's exactly one of the styles I want to do.  8)  Do you have any  little 4 wheel flats/ maintenance type cars?  Or man trip cars?
Mark G.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 02:47:24 PM »

I take it that the wheelbase is so small, so the car can negotiate some tight curves.  But, dang, that thing looks like it should fall over!   :D

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!