Author Topic: N Scale Hi Rail - Retro Hollow Core Door Layout  (Read 182868 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5399
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Retro Tech Layout Project - N Scale Compact Layout
« Reply #645 on: February 13, 2020, 05:57:01 PM »
+1
Took some time at lunch to disembowel the RDC.
There is an odd brass spacer between the truck and the frame, I assume to ease the rotation of the truck's plastic against the frame's zinc alloy.  It's cupped a tiny bit, so I suppose it's also something of a shock absorber.
What appears to have happened is this disc, which has a slot on each side where the wires pass from the wipers up into the body and a hold through which the worm meets the main drive gear, had slipped out of place.  During operation... could have been me, could have been before it came into my possession, the hole in this wafer thin bit of brass acted like a knife blade, and pretty well rounded off the main gear in one of the trucks.  It appears to be fine in the other truck.
So, now the hunt is on for suitably sized gear.  It's a double, so there's two sets of teeth that need to be matched.
I'll take it back apart and take some pictures later.  I'm a little aggravated, because I'm thinking it was probably jostled out of position in shipping, and I'm the one who let it go.  It had been running just fine for about an hour before the symptoms started.  I had no recollection of this washer from my original set back in the 80s, otherwise I would have checked to make sure it was seated properly before running the set.
Oh well, we live and learn.
So I guess I'll float the balloon here... Anyone have a red Roco double gear?  I'm not 100% sure, but I think a gear from an Atlas GP9/30 drive from the Roco years might do the trick.  I have parts for the Roco FA, but the gear assembly doesn't include a double.  I haven't looked under the hood of my Roco E-7, but I don't think I'm interested in parting it out... just yet.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #646 on: February 13, 2020, 09:09:58 PM »
Took some time at lunch to disembowel the RDC.
There is an odd brass spacer between the truck and the frame, I assume to ease the rotation of the truck's plastic against the frame's zinc alloy.  It's cupped a tiny bit, so I suppose it's also something of a shock absorber.
What appears to have happened is this disc, which has a slot on each side where the wires pass from the wipers up into the body and a hold through which the worm meets the main drive gear, had slipped out of place.  During operation... could have been me, could have been before it came into my possession, the hole in this wafer thin bit of brass acted like a knife blade, and pretty well rounded off the main gear in one of the trucks.  It appears to be fine in the other truck.
So, now the hunt is on for suitably sized gear.  It's a double, so there's two sets of teeth that need to be matched.
I'll take it back apart and take some pictures later.  I'm a little aggravated, because I'm thinking it was probably jostled out of position in shipping, and I'm the one who let it go.  It had been running just fine for about an hour before the symptoms started.  I had no recollection of this washer from my original set back in the 80s, otherwise I would have checked to make sure it was seated properly before running the set.
Oh well, we live and learn.
So I guess I'll float the balloon here... Anyone have a red Roco double gear?  I'm not 100% sure, but I think a gear from an Atlas GP9/30 drive from the Roco years might do the trick.  I have parts for the Roco FA, but the gear assembly doesn't include a double.  I haven't looked under the hood of my Roco E-7, but I don't think I'm interested in parting it out... just yet.

Lee

Lee, I'll take a look before I send you your other parts. If I have any, I'll give them to you.
- Christian J. Davis

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #647 on: February 14, 2020, 08:29:34 AM »
Thanks, @ChristianJDavis1 .
If there's a couple of basket case Roco geeps, throw them in.  Maybe I can get one out of two to run and still harvest the parts I need...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #648 on: February 22, 2020, 11:53:01 PM »
The Retro Fleet expanded exponentially today thanks to @ChristianJDavis1 .  An incredible selection of vintage N Scale effluvia arrived on my doorstep, and my head came clean off.

There's so many brass gears grinding away in the corner of my office I can barely hear the Victor Talking Machine!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #649 on: February 24, 2020, 06:16:20 AM »
+1
Well, now we know where old N stuff goes to die (or is just given away to): Lee's layout.

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1069
« Reply #650 on: February 24, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »
+1
Well, now we know where old N stuff goes to die (or is just given away to): Lee's layout.

Lee's N Scale Rescue Sanctuary

For just ¢10 a month you can sponsor a home for those unfortunately suffering from the zinc rot epidemic.
-Al

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #651 on: February 24, 2020, 05:44:52 PM »
+4
Reunited and it feels so good!

Rockin' It Old School

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #652 on: February 24, 2020, 05:47:39 PM »
+3
Lee's N Scale Rescue Sanctuary

For just ¢10 a month you can sponsor a home for those unfortunately suffering from the zinc rot epidemic.

LOL...  Turn 'em up as you browse the junk listings on eBay...!

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #653 on: February 24, 2020, 06:53:21 PM »
+1
Hahahahahahaha I got a downvote for that one, and I deserved it!  😁

Back to the thread, though, I wasn’t sure how this whole project was going to pan out in reality but I’m diggin’ it!

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #654 on: February 24, 2020, 07:02:01 PM »
+1
I may have accidentally downvoted it when I was fumbling with my phone in the car. I was laughing pretty hard at the video.
Of course now the gauntlet has been thrown down and someone's going to have to do a proper public service announcement for the rescue!
Maybe I could talk Rod Stewart into being my celebrity endorser!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #655 on: February 24, 2020, 08:02:14 PM »
+1
I may have accidentally downvoted it when I was fumbling with my phone in the car. I was laughing pretty hard at the video.
Of course now the gauntlet has been thrown down and someone's going to have to do a proper public service announcement for the rescue!
Maybe I could talk Rod Stewart into being my celebrity endorser!
Lee

Only if you show sad puppies standing behind the trains.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #656 on: February 24, 2020, 10:09:49 PM »
I got the Berk to work! 

Now I can run an authentic Iron Horse Ramble with a WM FA helper!  Another old dog rescued!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #657 on: February 24, 2020, 11:00:35 PM »
I got the Berk to work! 

Now I can run an authentic Iron Horse Ramble with a WM FA helper!  Another old dog rescued!
Lee

What did you have to do to it? I have three 2-8-8-2's from the same collection that all don't run, but light up like that Berk did.
- Christian J. Davis

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #658 on: February 25, 2020, 08:17:27 AM »
+1
Reunited and it feels so good!

Great to see the 301 back home again, Lee!  :D

Jim

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #659 on: February 25, 2020, 12:09:24 PM »
LOL...  Turn 'em up as you browse the junk listings on eBay...!

We shan't forget the Free N Scale Rescue T-Shirt though, right?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA