Author Topic: N Scale Hi Rail - Retro Hollow Core Door Layout  (Read 79548 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2931
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: N Scale Hi Rail - Retro Hollow Core Door Layout
« Reply #1155 on: October 18, 2020, 02:01:34 PM »
+1
Another fun video Lee!  Thanks for the shout-out about the E60 gears.  :)  Good to see that loco running (and it looks to be running pretty smoothly).
. . . 42 . . .

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +507
« Reply #1156 on: October 18, 2020, 04:58:06 PM »
+1
With the GG1, have you experienced any trouble with the metal coupling on either end of the motor shaft failing?
The symptom would be for either one or both both trucks to lose drive.
I recall, several decades ago, having to contact Arnold directly in Germany to obtain replacements.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +2571
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #1157 on: October 18, 2020, 10:03:57 PM »
Yes, but it turned out to simply need a little cleaning and lube, and to be reseated properly.  Pretty easy fix, butt I'll let you know how long it lasts!
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +801
« Reply #1158 on: October 18, 2020, 10:17:56 PM »
Yes, but it turned out to simply need a little cleaning and lube, and to be reseated properly.  Pretty easy fix, butt I'll let you know how long it lasts!

I really think there's a TWSS joke in there somewhere.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #1159 on: October 27, 2020, 11:11:11 AM »
+2
I'm trying to think if I've ever built a layout that didn't have a variation on this theme on it somewhere...

If I ever do move to the Potomac Valley, I'll probably change the theme of my modeling to Swiss cog railroads or something.

Lee
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 11:23:58 AM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +3087
« Reply #1160 on: October 27, 2020, 12:18:05 PM »
I'm trying to think if I've ever built a layout that didn't have a variation on this theme on it somewhere...

If I ever do move to the Potomac Valley, I'll probably change the theme of my modeling to Swiss cog railroads or something.

Lee

Well, at least you're not stuck in wanting to model everything and are able to settle down on a theme.  Must mean you're satisfied.  A lot of us waffle.

Oh, and, just wondering, did you sell used cars in the 1980s?   :trollface:

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #1161 on: October 27, 2020, 01:45:58 PM »
+1
No...  commercial printing, and briefly, radio air time...  Both dead industries...
Rockin' It Old School

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +3432
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #1162 on: October 27, 2020, 03:51:03 PM »
+3
Hahah, Lee, it's funny you mention the recurrence of that visual composition.

I realized myself while building the Hanover Jct part of the Windsor St layout that I keep recreating Strasburg: a gentle agricultural valley with tracks running along the slight rise in front of a tree line.

Essentially this, over and over:

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +406
« Reply #1163 on: October 28, 2020, 02:06:39 AM »
WM3798:  RhB, north side of Albula Pass.  That should give you all the bridges, curves, tunnels, and over/under you might want, all in a compact space.  Bergun to Preda, the track crosses itself in five (that I could find) places!

In Nn3, it might actually fit on a door, without too much compression.
N Kalanaga
Be well

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #1164 on: October 28, 2020, 01:15:37 PM »
+1
WM3798:  RhB, north side of Albula Pass.  That should give you all the bridges, curves, tunnels, and over/under you might want, all in a compact space.  Bergun to Preda, the track crosses itself in five (that I could find) places!

In Nn3, it might actually fit on a door, without too much compression.

Except you clearly missed the "thought bubble" in the picture...
Rockin' It Old School

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +406
« Reply #1165 on: October 29, 2020, 02:06:52 AM »
True, I just thought the WM logo was an accidental part of the background.
N Kalanaga
Be well

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #1166 on: November 02, 2020, 01:44:16 PM »
+2
Actual something happening on the layout.
I had fun bumping some cars up on the high line over the weekend, and I decided it was time for a small modification.

At Old Town, I had a two track siding that was designated for mine tracks, with a small tipple and capacity for about 6 or 7 55T cars.

I also have a little laser cut mill kit that Rho built awhile ago, and it was there looking cute at the junction track, but otherwise, didn't do much for the revenue of the railway.

As much fun as "loads out and empties in" can be, I decided to reduce the carbon footprint of the upper loop to handle only 4 hoppers at the truck dump (over at the other end of the layout) and put in some industry to generate some other kinds of traffic.  Here's what I've come up with so far.

First, I replaced the old Trix turnout (I know, blasphemy, right?) with a Peco shorty, which will simplify the bridges that will have to cross the ravine under the industrial tracks.  Also, since the Peco is power routing, I can squirrel away the switcher on a siding when I'm running other thru business on the inner branch line.  I'm also going to relocate the water tower to the background somewhere, to get it out of the "industrial park". The buildings shown are my "I'm pretty sure these are final" selections.  In keeping with the retro ethos, I first tried using a couple of other well-worn N scale classics, but I didn't think all those bricks worked with the small cross roads concept I have in place there.  So I put the buildings shown below back on the shelf to be deployed elsewere.

I like the old school sawmill, as it gives me an excuse to haul some flat cars, pulpwood cars and wood chip hoppers, and the little feed mill, which gets rotated about 90 degrees to use the new siding, can host 40' boxcars for in and outbound traffic.  I toyed with adding another switch, but at some point, you run out of real estate. 

While the water wheel of the old Pola sawmill will not be visible from the usual vantage points, inspired by @DKS , I plan to motorize it to create a nice little "Easter Egg" for viewers who make their way around the corner.

The amount of traffic generated is ideal for the smallest loop on the railroad, and I will be able to swap cars in and out of the thru train that runs on the outer loop.  Not quite to where I'll need JRMI, but it will certainly function using the JFRTM.

Lee

Rockin' It Old School

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #1167 on: November 02, 2020, 03:13:06 PM »
Increased revenue is good for the RR and also for operational interest.  Nice modification.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +3087
« Reply #1168 on: November 02, 2020, 04:49:20 PM »

In addition to the two bridges in your newly modified sidings, it looks like you're going to need one of those fancy Pennsy Flying Junctions in the back right corner.  Good luck!

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +507
« Reply #1169 on: November 02, 2020, 05:01:33 PM »
As much fun as "loads out and empties in" can be, I decided to reduce the carbon footprint of the upper loop to handle only 4 hoppers at the truck dump (over at the other end of the layout) and put in some industry to generate some other kinds of traffic.  Here's what I've come up with so far.

First, I replaced the old Trix turnout (I know, blasphemy, right?) with a Peco shorty, which will simplify the bridges that will have to cross the ravine under the industrial tracks.  Also, since the Peco is power routing, I can squirrel away the switcher on a siding when I'm running other thru business on the inner branch line.  I'm also going to relocate the water tower to the background somewhere, to get it out of the "industrial park". The buildings shown are my "I'm pretty sure these are final" selections.  In keeping with the retro ethos, I first tried using a couple of other well-worn N scale classics, but I didn't think all those bricks worked with the small cross roads concept I have in place there.  So I put the buildings shown below back on the shelf to be deployed elsewere.

I like the old school sawmill, as it gives me an excuse to haul some flat cars, pulpwood cars and wood chip hoppers, and the little feed mill, which gets rotated about 90 degrees to use the new siding, can host 40' boxcars for in and outbound traffic.  I toyed with adding another switch, but at some point, you run out of real estate. 

While the water wheel of the old Pola sawmill will not be visible from the usual vantage points, inspired by @DKS , I plan to motorize it to create a nice little "Easter Egg" for viewers who make their way around the corner.

Suppose that you turned the sawmill 90° so that the channel for the waterwheel is parallel to the ravine.
Cut off some of the base at the front of the sawmill as needed.
Make the level of the water flowing into the ravine from the rear of the scene at a higher level so that some of it can be diverted into the channel.
The ravine would then not be as deep where it is adjacent to the sawmill.
Then, put a waterfall in between the industrial track bridges and the inner branch line bridge.