Author Topic: Digitrax Decoder Consisting  (Read 1158 times)

Kuchler10

• Crew
  • If it didn't move coal, it wasn't cool
  • Respect: +10
Digitrax Decoder Consisting
« on: December 14, 2018, 09:31:57 PM »
I have a bunch of N scale locos with the DN163AO from Digitrax and they operate as expected by themselves, but any time an advanced consist is programmed, the speed becomes a fraction of what it was independently. It often takes speed step 100 before they start moving. It is also consistent across the decoders. Is this a normal feature? I tried old style consisting also, and at only 10 speed steps the locos were flying at full speed. I am using an NCE Powercab but my ESU and NCE decoders do not have an issue with consisting.
Don't know what I'm modeling today, won't know what I'm modeling tomorrow

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
Re: Digitrax Decoder Consisting
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 09:56:39 PM »
+1
As I recall, this is normal Digitrax behavior and I believe it's caused by the BEMF feature being turned either off or way down when in consist mode (as multiple locos with BEMF activated can sometimes apparently start getting wonky with each other...or so I've heard). I also seem to recall that there's a CV that you can adjust to change this so a loco will behave closer to the same whether it's in consist mode or not. If nobody chimes in with this info, I'll see if I can find it. I did do this CV change with a couple switchers I installed Digitrax decoders in and it worked well....although they typically run paired with only one other loco. Incidentally, My ESU decoder-equipped locos have no change in speed steps when in consist mode and they don't seem to fight each other when I run multiple units. I don't know if ESU address the multiple-units-fighting-each-other thing in a different way or if it's just not really that much of an issue to begin with.

CR4100

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 10:19:59 PM »
+1
Digitrax turns of BEMF when locos are consisted. You need to adjust CV57. It uses a two digit hex number to control BEMF. The first digit is the intensity when operating in a consist, the second is the intensity when operating solo. I usually program CV 57 as 85 decimal which is 55 hex which seems to work well with two units together.
The fabric of reality has begun to fray.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 10:07:44 AM »
Here's another Digitrax consisting question - regarding lights.

I have an pair of P42s that are consisted.  One unit is designated F, the other R.  This is supposed to control the lights so that when running forward the F unit has its headlight on and the R does not - that happens. However, when running in reverse, (where the R unit should have its headlight on and the F unit should be dark)  the R unit does not light up - the rear of the F does instead.

Is that a Digitrax bug, or did my controller (NCE Powercab) - or I - do something wrong?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Kuchler10

• Crew
  • If it didn't move coal, it wasn't cool
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 03:05:19 PM »
From my experience, you sometimes have to select the engine in the consist that is not the lead loco in order to operate the functions on it. Sometimes with two ESU sound locos I have to select the rear loco in order to run the startup sequence.
Don't know what I'm modeling today, won't know what I'm modeling tomorrow

Greg Elmassian

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 02:09:28 AM »
if you are using advanced consisting you want to  set cv's 21 and maybe cv22... i forget.

this will also enable the horn and bell to only come from the lead engine...

also you want to use the consist address...

if you are using basic consisting, then you don't have the advanced features...

Greg