Author Topic: NSC 53' well car kits now available  (Read 1655 times)

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +406
NSC 53' well car kits now available
« on: September 12, 2018, 06:08:11 AM »
N Scale Kits now has single-unit National Steel 53' well car kits available for purchase:

http://www.nscalekits.co.uk/NWF13.html

The prototype units run either as single cars, or as 3-unit drawbar-coupled sets.  (Drawbars would have to be supplied by the modeller.)  This car has been #1 on my top-5 list for a long time!  I have ordered 4 kits for starters and I'll post a review when I get them assembled.  There are a number of other modern intermodal sets in development as well:

http://www.nscalekits.co.uk/nkitsnew.html

Thank you Peter!

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1012
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: NSC 53' well car kits now available
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 06:34:28 AM »
Sometimes* I wish I modeled modern.  Those look like fold up etchings, but there is nothing on the website indicating this, is that what they are?

*Disclaimer, "sometimes" is a relative term and in no way requires me to relinquish mt SPF card.  :D

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +444
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 06:53:40 AM »
Those look great!  I have some of his other kits and they went together well and are nice and heavy so they track well.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 06:56:54 AM »
The well car kits have cast pewter sides and ends while the floors and walkways are stainless steel etchings. 

I'd love to see you take on a modern model kit some time, John.  ;)

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 07:23:46 AM »
Seems like a good time to finish the 48' NSC kits I have and procure some 53s. Thanks for the heads up Gary.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 09:41:41 AM »
I also ordered four - I think I'll drawbar three and do one as a stand alone...
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 09:48:38 AM »
Sometimes* I wish I modeled modern.  Those look like fold up etchings, but there is nothing on the website indicating this, is that what they are?

*Disclaimer, "sometimes" is a relative term and in no way requires me to relinquish mt SPF card.  :D
You could always create an alternate reality with the Pennsy taking over the east coast and has a heritage fleet like UP
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +444
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 09:51:03 AM »
Yes, I ordered four as well.  I have a lot of those great Scale Trains 53' cans to fill them.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +1012
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 10:18:44 AM »
You could always create an alternate reality with the Pennsy taking over the east coast and has a heritage fleet like UP

@eric220 has that market locked!   :trollface: :D

Just understood your comment, wait, do you meant they didn't?  :trollface: :trollface:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:20:17 AM by Lemosteam »

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +129
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 07:16:38 PM »
Seems like a good time to finish the 48' NSC kits I have and procure some 53s. Thanks for the heads up Gary.

Lol.  Ditto.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 07:34:17 PM »

True.  I want to figure out how to chop my 48' kit down to 40' wells, like this rebuild.  I also still have a (nearly-10-year-old) project to lengthen a 48' spine set to 53'...   :facepalm:

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 07:42:57 PM »
True.  I want to figure out how to chop my 48' kit down to 40' wells, like this rebuild.

Seems like a simple enough project for Peter to offer as a new product.

I also still have a (nearly-10-year-old) project to lengthen a 48' spine set to 53'...   :facepalm:

Sigh. The state of 48' and 53' spines is just depressing. The conversions are needed for variety and every early 90s era guy needs a fleet of 48s. Personally I'd love a JAF53 to complete the SP fleet prior to merger.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 10:12:36 PM »
+2
I recently returned from 5 weeks of travel to find my NSK kits waiting for me and I had a chance this weekend to start working on one of the NSC well cars.  While the build is still in progress, I thought I'd share a few observations.   I ordered 4 of these cars and I've inspected 2 of them so far and I have noticed some issues with the side castings.  In 1 of the 2 kits, the sides differed in length by ~0.050", as shown (note how the notches don't line up on the left side):

The shorter piece also had some holes in the pewter due to in incomplete pour:

The second kit was fine however, so I proceeded to build that one.  (I'm going to ask Peter for a replacement side for the first kit.)  To make sure everything is properly squared up and true, I found it helpful to make a form out of styrene strip (Evergreen 0.060" x 0.186" stock) that has the same width as the floor etching and is long enough to support then end castings.   I then clamped the sides to the form and proceeded to fit the end casting in place.  I had to file them slightly to get a good fit, but that was straightforward.  Here is an assembly shot:

and a shot of the assembled well, with floor etching in place:

I'm quite happy with how this is turning out so far.  A note on the etchings: the floor etching has fold-up ends, but the fold lines are not etched all the way across the floor as can be seen here:

This makes it virtually impossible to get a clean 90 degree fold of the ends, as can be seen in my attempt at it.  I ended up just cutting the ends off and I will glue them in separately.  (I will also ask Peter if he can fix this in future etch runs.)  Finally, the end walkways are nicely done:

...except that both handrail stanchions broke off because the fold line was too slight.  However, these stanchions are not quite correct for the prototype anyway, so I'm going to try devising a substitute somehow.

Despite a few issues, these will fill a huge gap in my intermodal fleet!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 02:12:58 AM by GaryHinshaw »

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +29
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 09:53:32 AM »
Looks great! I wonder if Peter is going to do the NWF13A version of this car, as that is the last one missing out of the three cars that I can't find in n scale that were painted pink by TTX for their On Track for a Cure in October.

Chris
Attempting to model the SP in 2012...

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 09:38:26 PM »
I'm not aware of any plans for the NWF13A series.  (If I understand correctly, the 13A cars have a wider rib spacing than the 13 series represented in this kit.)