Author Topic: NSC 53' well car kits now available  (Read 1654 times)

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +29
    • Modern Southern Pacific
Re: NSC 53' well car kits now available
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 11:16:13 AM »
I'm not aware of any plans for the NWF13A series.  (If I understand correctly, the 13A cars have a wider rib spacing than the 13 series represented in this kit.)

Thanks @GaryHinshaw, upon looking at your pics, my pink well car, and the cars you linked to aren't even the same style. I was just off the nscalekits page that said my car was in the number series for the NWF13A series. When TTX rebuilds these, are they adding the smooth sides to them?

I'm thinking that if/when Atlas releases their 53' Well Car that it would be more correct car.

Chris
Attempting to model the SP in 2012...

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +406
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 03:00:29 PM »
The car you posted a photo of is a Greenbriar/Gunderson 53' well car, not an NWF13A.  (I was confused by your post - I thought you were just posting an example of the paint scheme, and that TTX had also painted an NWF13A in the same scheme.)  I'm not aware if the car you posted has a RR class, but here is another car from the same lot.

A very similar all-purpose well car (class GW13SF, originally equipped with trailer hitches) is offered by N Scale Kits, and it is also in the Atlas pipeline.  I wouldn't be surprised if Atlas ran the Cure scheme at some point.  It would be a foob, but a very reasonable one.

-gfh

P.S. I think there is a typo on the N Scale Kits web page.  The number range for the NWF13A is 680090-681189, not 650090-681189.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +444
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 06:44:31 PM »
Does anyone have end photographs to place the brake detail parts?   The instructions and online photos don't show these. 

They are nice cars for certain, I think I may order some more.  Judging from the raster lines, I think the masters were 3D printed, but the pewter casts make a nice substantial car.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2018, 09:22:43 PM »
+1
Does anyone have end photographs to place the brake detail parts?   The instructions and online photos don't show these.

Yeah, Peter didn't bother with the brake gear or couplers on his web site example.  :P  I found the following two photos to be helpful:

https://www.railcarphotos.com/pix/54/DTTX%20657556%20Jacksonville_FL_John_Helberg_2009_07_14_54707.jpg (or this link)
https://www.railcarphotos.com/pix/24/DTTX%20655620%20Pittsburgh_PA_Peter_MacCauley_2007_08_30_24645.jpg (or this link).

Based on these, I placed the gear as follows:

I had to file the air reservoir thinner on the bottom to make sure the etched walkway above will clear the reservoir.  I was also thinking about running some piping between the reservoir and triple valve, but now I'm thinking I'll skip that.  Next up is to install coupler pockets, then they'll be ready for painting & decals.  Hope this helps.

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 06:44:05 AM »
Perfect, thanks @GaryHinshaw !

sd75i

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 11:28:31 AM »
  Thanks for sharing!  I'm thinking about buying some kits and would like to see how yours turnout!

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 12:17:10 PM »
I've hit a snag with the trucks and couplers.  I bought trucks (MT 1037) as recommended on the n scale kits website for this model.  Now that I have the kits in hand, the instructions recommend 1036 trucks and body mount couplers.  The 1037 do not fit without some serious addition of washers to raise the clearance of the car from the trucks, so I am trying to figure out a solution.  Kind of a pain- buying the trucks/couplers was a serious investment that has turned out to be pointless.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 12:39:25 PM »
I'm using some 100T trucks, salvaged from some Atlas or Athearn cars, with body-mount couplers.  I had to add one washer to keep the wheels from rubbing against the floor, but this makes the ride height match the Kato Maxi-IVs pretty well.  Additionally, I had to file down the flanges on either side of the coupler pocket bracket so the wheels wouldn't rub against them on a curve.  Now they run very well.  I have some MTL 100T trucks on order, but I haven't received them yet.  I'm expecting them to be fine as well.

(As far as I can tell, the prototype cars use 100T trucks and 36" wheels.)

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 01:20:17 PM »
On the n scale kits site, he suggests 28" wheels...  Of course, I bought some FVM just for the occasion.

All of this has forced me to buy some micro taps and screws from China- a month for the slow boat to get them to me.  Onto other projects.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 09:36:40 PM »
On the n scale kits site, he suggests 28" wheels...  Of course, I bought some FVM just for the occasion.

I think this goes in the "don't believe everything you read category".  The NSC web page (which the NSK page links to) says these cars are equipped with 100T trucks, and hence 36" wheels.  My quick & dirty analysis of photos is consistent with this.  They definitely aren't 28" wheels.   :|

All of this has forced me to buy some micro taps and screws from China- a month for the slow boat to get them to me.  Onto other projects.

Just curious, what do you need micro taps for?

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 10:08:20 PM »
I thought I would thread the holes for the bolts to hold on the couplers and trucks.  They aren't self-tapping, I assume.

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 10:52:49 AM »
+3
Just for S&G here's a shot of my completed kits:

I share the comments of the other builders; seems it would take very little to produce a correct and accurate set of instructions even if only on the Web.

After playing around a bit I elected to not even bother with the brake gear, and I think I used 33" wheels - whatever would make them run well and look halfway decent, with the emphasis of running well.  No one will know but me.
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 12:41:26 PM »
Looks great Jim! 

May I ask which paint you used?  I'm hoping to get mine in the paint shop this weekend.

jereising

• Crew
  • Respect: +311
    • The Oakville Sub
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2018, 10:18:34 AM »
Looks great Jim! 

May I ask which paint you used?  I'm hoping to get mine in the paint shop this weekend.
I sprayed with the suggested Marigold after a light primer; decided it was a bit much so brushed a coat of Badger TTX yellow, much better.
Jim Reising
Visit The Oakville Sub - A Different Tehachapi - at:
http://theoakvillesub.itgo.com/
And on Trainboard:
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=99466

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2018, 04:44:49 PM »
They look great Jim.  What did you use for trucks and couplers?