Author Topic: Will new KATO F3 side glass fit older KATO F3 shell?  (Read 370 times)

Bill H

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
Will new KATO F3 side glass fit older KATO F3 shell?
« on: February 18, 2018, 02:43:11 PM »
Group:
Found a much needed KATO early run F3 shell without side glass. I can buy the side glass from the current run, I seem to remember that it does not fit right on the older frame. Is that true?

Kind regards,
Bill

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
Re: Will new KATO F3 side glass fit older KATO F3 shell?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 03:01:45 PM »
Bill
Check out kato web site.  They have parts for F3 and F7, two and three window side glasses with pictures, so you may be able to see if these would fit or could be made to fit.  I’m guessing yours would need the three window.
Kato charges minimum $7 for shipping, so it would make sense to load up on other parts you need or may need at same time.
Steve
Atascocita, Texas

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 03:18:38 PM »
+1
They all fit the portholes on the shell, but the older glass is needed for the older split frames if you are using a new shell and you will need the new glass if you are trying to fit the older shell on the new one piece chassis. The tabs for keeping the shell on the chassis are different between the old and new glass/chassis. I have a whole bag of glass I'll try and get a pic here in a few.

edit: The pic showing both old and new glass shows the left side as the new glass and right as the old. The other two pics shows them both on the old split frame. As you can see, you might be able to use the new glass by filing the tabs that interfere with the old frame, though you only have one hold-down per side for keeping the shell on now.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:34:25 PM by GhengisKong »

Bill H

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 03:45:06 PM »
+1
GhengisKong:
Many thanks. Indeed I am putting the old shell on the old split frame so it looks like I will have to file it down as you noted.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,
Bill