Author Topic: Rapido trucks on Concor car?  (Read 762 times)

hegstad1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
Rapido trucks on Concor car?
« on: February 17, 2018, 08:30:20 AM »
Hey all,

I want to mount Rapido passenger car trucks under some Concor cars.  Any hints or suggestions before I dive in?

Thanks
Andrew Hegstad

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
Re: Rapido trucks on Concor car?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 09:48:14 AM »
Haven't tried that, but have mounted them on American Limited core kits.   You'll want some washers, as the Rapido trucks have lower bolsters than the Con-Cor trucks. 

If you are putting them on the older "smooth-side" cars, you'll need to replace the split pin with a screw, and plug the hole in the floor with something to mount the screw in - the Micro-Trains plug that comes with their older passenger trucks could work.   On the Budd cars you might be OK with the original screw, or at worst a longer one - but you'll still need some washers.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
Re: Rapido trucks on Concor car?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 02:07:38 AM »
If interior detail isn't an issue, it might be better to glue a piece of styrene over the top of the hole, then plug the hole with styrene tube, and use a screw.  The MT plugs will work, but don't always go in straight, and often come out again, if the screw/pin isn't cinched down tight.  If it IS tight, the trucks can bind, so problems either way.

If you use the styrene, it would be just as easy to use styrene shims as washers, and they wouldn't get lost if the trucks had to be removed in the future.
N Kalanaga
Be well