Author Topic: What's Up With Deluxe Innovations?  (Read 2586 times)

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
What's Up With Deluxe Innovations?
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:40:55 AM »
I heard a rumor last summer that Deluxe Innovations was about to go out of business. However, half a year later, the website is still up (though sorely out of date) and there has been no formal announcement that the company is shutting down, and someone mentioned that they saw owner Dave Ferrari exhibit at a local train show.  I know they have had numerous problems with overseas manufacturers and dealing with natural disasters (Hurricane Irene apparently damaged their New Jersey warehouse and a lot of their stock).

I own  few of their Maxi-IV well car sets, which left the factory with an acknowledged defect, which has been addressed by the availability of Fix-Kits, which are tiny washers that help space the trucks from the bolsters to allow truck swing. I have emailed Dave Ferrari back and forth several times since January 2017 and have yet to receive my Fix Kits! So I'm stuck with these well cars that won't run!

Anyone know what's up? The last time I emailed Dave, I never got a response.
Under the streets of Los Angeles

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +194
Re: What's Up With Deluxe Innovations?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 06:51:30 AM »
Down, but not completely out as far as I know.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=42985.msg545211#msg545211

Mark

Glenn Poole

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 07:34:15 AM »
+1
I heard a rumor last summer that Deluxe Innovations was about to go out of business. However, half a year later, the website is still up (though sorely out of date) and there has been no formal announcement that the company is shutting down, and someone mentioned that they saw owner Dave Ferrari exhibit at a local train show.  I know they have had numerous problems with overseas manufacturers and dealing with natural disasters (Hurricane Irene apparently damaged their New Jersey warehouse and a lot of their stock).

I own  few of their Maxi-IV well car sets, which left the factory with an acknowledged defect, which has been addressed by the availability of Fix-Kits, which are tiny washers that help space the trucks from the bolsters to allow truck swing. I have emailed Dave Ferrari back and forth several times since January 2017 and have yet to receive my Fix Kits! So I'm stuck with these well cars that won't run!

Anyone know what's up? The last time I emailed Dave, I never got a response.

I made my own out of styrene. Drill a hole in a piece of styrene and then cut around it making a washer---worked real good.
Glenn

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 08:03:45 AM »
I don't know what is happening with Dave and DI, but I hope he can remain in business.

In terms of the fix-it kit, I installed a number of them and they were just etched brass washers.  You could easily fabricate these out of styrene as Glenn suggests.  They were quite thin, perhaps 0.010" or less

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +303
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 08:06:06 AM »
Sounds like a used credit card (or the fake ones they send you to sign up) may work?

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 08:47:19 AM »
My recollection was that the metal was half-etched and thinner than a credit card.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2435
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 09:04:39 AM »
Down, but not completely out as far as I know.

I feel like that is an EXCELLENT summary of what's going on.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »

Same boat here.  I was thinking of etching my own,  but I am not sure when I will get around to it.  Offhand I think they are thicker than 0.010" but I need to go check.

Ed

MetroRedLine

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 04:32:00 PM »
Same boat here.  I was thinking of etching my own,  but I am not sure when I will get around to it.  Offhand I think they are thicker than 0.010" but I need to go check.

Ed

It would help to find out what the exact dimensions of the DI washers are!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2528
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »
Sheet styrene of various thicknesses (like 0.005", 0.010", 0.015", etc.) is readily available in small quantities. When I make small washers I first make the center hole, then punch the washer using one of the miniature hobby punch/die sets. I have couple of those sets. If the center holes are very small, I drill them instead of punching, then punch out the washer.
--- Peteski de Snarkski

-"Look at me, I'm satirical!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm anal retentive!!!"
-"Look at me, I have the most posts evahhhh!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm snarky!!!!"
-"Look at me, I have OCD!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm a curmudgeon!!!!"
-"Look at me, I'm not negative, just blunt and honest!!!"

MetroRedLine

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 08:12:57 PM »
Sheet styrene of various thicknesses (like 0.005", 0.010", 0.015", etc.) is readily available in small quantities. When I make small washers I first make the center hole, then punch the washer using one of the miniature hobby punch/die sets. I have couple of those sets. If the center holes are very small, I drill them instead of punching, then punch out the washer.

Can one use those Hob-Bits brass washers that you find at hobby shops?

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +303
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 10:19:04 PM »
Soda can material?  Maybe folded once or twice or as how many times needed to match the thickness?

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +306
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 01:58:45 AM »
Peteski:  I also make my own, but not having a punch set, I use office paper punches.  They (used to?) come in 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 inch diameters, which meet most of my needs.

I've never looked at the DI well cars, but would a MT truck washer work?
N Kalanaga
Be well

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Proactive advocate of truthiness
  • Respect: +185
    • Modutrak
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 10:30:41 PM »
I think at this point we can just hope the tooling pops up in another company's hands.  Deluxe has ceased to exist, a la a parrot. 

Mike

www.modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure...

AKNscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 01:04:43 AM »
Didn't they come out with more connexes last year?