Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/7/18  (Read 4520 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +839
Weekend Update 1/7/18
« on: January 05, 2018, 07:26:16 PM »
+3
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:32:32 PM by up1950s »

Caleb Austin

• Crew
  • Respect: +357
Re: Weekend Update 1/7/18
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 10:03:57 PM »
+11
Scenery is finally underway on my layout. Just the first layers of grass and underbrush, trees next!

Caleb.

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +919
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 11:30:42 PM »
+10
FP-7's with the mail:

Wolf

Mike the Modeler

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 12:11:03 AM »
+3
Drew up a wood trestle based on a Southern Pacific standard plan. Having it printed at Shapeways.  I left the bulkheads off and will add these with styrene. This is 6" long and 1 " tall and is for a scene on the layout where the Petaluma and Santa Rosa railroad crossed over the Petaluma River in Petaluma, CA.

Mike the Modeler

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 12:14:22 AM »

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +777
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 12:23:47 AM »
Drew up a wood trestle based on a Southern Pacific standard plan. Having it printed at Shapeways.  I left the bulkheads off and will add these with styrene. This is 6" long and 1 " tall and is for a scene on the layout where the Petaluma and Santa Rosa railroad crossed over the Petaluma River in Petaluma, CA.

Hey, that's pretty cool! Are you going to make these available on SW, and if so, what kind of trackage and rail is it designed for?
Otto K.

Mike the Modeler

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 01:22:48 AM »
Hey, that's pretty cool! Are you going to make these available on SW, and if so, what kind of trackage and rail is it designed for?
Otto K.

Otto,
I have made them available here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/mike-the-modeler
The fully assembled model is designed to fit the tie width of micro engineering code 55 bridge track which has ties wider than 8 scale feet and taller ties than atlas code 55.
Atlas code 55 track should work as well as it is smaller.
The walkway has two boards that are over the top of the ties: the track slides in under these boards.
I also posted separate models of the trestle and walkway so one would have some variety to "kitbash" some different configurations.
I left the bulkheads off because from photos some trestles have straight bulk heads and other have wing wall type bulkheads.
The bulkhead are also easily modeled with styrene.

svedblen

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Three Yards Yard - beware - it is H0 - No, now it's O
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 09:50:55 AM »
Scenery is finally underway on my layout. Just the first layers of grass and underbrush, trees next!
Caleb.

Looks great already!
Lennart

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +777
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 10:22:10 AM »
Otto,
I have made them available here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/mike-the-modeler
The fully assembled model is designed to fit the tie width of micro engineering code 55 bridge track which has ties wider than 8 scale feet and taller ties than atlas code 55.
Atlas code 55 track should work as well as it is smaller.
The walkway has two boards that are over the top of the ties: the track slides in under these boards.
I also posted separate models of the trestle and walkway so one would have some variety to "kitbash" some different configurations.
I left the bulkheads off because from photos some trestles have straight bulk heads and other have wing wall type bulkheads.
The bulkhead are also easily modeled with styrene.

Thanks Mike, that's a great product. Can you tell me what the spacing of the bents is? I don't model the SP, but have some heavy rail PE trackage and it looks very similar to PE construction....
Otto K.

Mike the Modeler

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 12:41:23 PM »
Thanks Mike, that's a great product. Can you tell me what the spacing of the bents is? I don't model the SP, but have some heavy rail PE trackage and it looks very similar to PE construction....
Otto K.

The attached have current model dimensions. (Multiply by 160 to get proto size in inches, then divide by 12 for feet.)
It is easy to compress or stretch the model a bit to get a different bent spacing.
I made it to fit a 6" space so compressed it a bit.
If I kept the 15' bent spacing of the prototype ( 1.125") the trestle would be 6.58" long.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]  

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +514
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 01:15:16 PM »
@Mike the Modeler - nice product. 
One comment though, per SP Standards, the stringers that rest on the pile caps and support the bridge ties beneath the rail should be 17-3/4" tall.  It appears what you have that would represent stringers look pretty squat in height.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Mike the Modeler

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 01:40:47 PM »
One comment though, per SP Standards, the stringers that rest on the pile caps and support the bridge ties beneath the rail should be 17-3/4" tall.  It appears what you have that would represent stringers look pretty squat in height.

Waz,
You are correct on the height.  What you are viewing in the prior post is an end view of the model. The stringer is obscured by the top board of the bulk head that I used to help support the walkway in the model. The section cut below and the side views in the prior posts shows the depth of the stringer. The common standard plan calls for three nominal 8x18's bolted together for each stringer.
The model is "based" on the common standard plan. I dimensioned the scantlings on the model to the nearest stock size styrene shape from Evergreen models in case I wanted to scratch build it out of styrene or modify a 3D printed version.

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +919
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 01:41:12 PM »

Mike the Modeler

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 01:48:55 PM »

Waz,
Here is another view that shows the relation of the stringers to the end view. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +347
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »
Wow, great looking bridge! :o Going to have to see if there's somewhere on the layout I can put one of these.