Author Topic: Improving the Arnold S2  (Read 12404 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
Re: Improving the Arnold S2
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 11:33:54 AM »
Sorry to repeat myself but is this for an S13?

Craig

Nope.  Just trying to fix up a couple of old S2's

Doug

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 01:07:27 PM »
+1
Sorry if this comes across wrong.....

But I have spent a LOT of time with the Arnold S2.  I wrote 3 articles on improving it.

But it is such a flawed design.....
I would jump ship and bail out.

Go with the Atlas S2.

I like Chris's drawing solution.  But.... it's a bit of trouble.
AND.... all the parts must be exactly straight.  If not, the tip of the adapted motor shaft will wobble and wobble means noise.

In spite of all the effort I've put into this loco....I've abandoned it and moved on.
By the time you take a $30 loco and put new wheels and gears and a new motor in it.... you could have an Atlas S2.

Just my 2 cents.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +830
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »
Sorry if this comes across wrong.....

But I have spent a LOT of time with the Arnold S2.  I wrote 3 articles on improving it.

But it is such a flawed design.....
I would jump ship and bail out.

Go with the Atlas S2.

I like Chris's drawing solution.  But.... it's a bit of trouble.
AND.... all the parts must be exactly straight.  If not, the tip of the adapted motor shaft will wobble and wobble means noise.

In spite of all the effort I've put into this loco....I've abandoned it and moved on.
By the time you take a $30 loco and put new wheels and gears and a new motor in it.... you could have an Atlas S2.

Just my 2 cents.

Good advice but, for the die-hard tinkerers, you probably just made the challenge that much more enticing. :trollface:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 01:32:30 PM by tehachapifan »

Carolina Northern

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »
Maybe so, but Ron is a unrelenting tinkerer. If he thinks it's time to move on, it's good advice.

Don

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »
Maybe so, but Ron is a unrelenting tinkerer. If he thinks it's time to move on, it's good advice.

Don

You made me laugh.... but it's true.

BTW- I've also "moved on" from the Kato GP38-2.   These were great locos when they came out.   And they can still be great.
But if you ever mess with the drive train, it is really hard to keep them perfectly quiet.
I sold all mine.   The one custom shell I really liked... I gutted and placed on a modern Atlas frame.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2017, 01:50:57 AM »
The Arnold S2 needs new wheels because the gears crack.  The NWSL wheelsets shouldn't ever crack.

Now it seems that the Atlas S2 has a problem with axle cracks.  I wouldn't be so quick to dump the Arnold, as long as you have it, and it meets your needs.  Besides, if you already have the loco, paid for, the upgrades are still cheaper than a new loco.

Maybe someone can get NWSL to make replacement wheelsets for Atlas?
N Kalanaga
Be well

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2017, 03:14:06 AM »

"Maybe someone can get NWSL to make replacement wheelsets for Atlas?"   Yeah, ATLAS!
 I have to check the 3 that I have so far. 1 mit sound.
 Joe D

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2017, 12:03:27 PM »
Well, I don't want to bail on these locos just yet.  However, I do agree that there is likely a limit, both financially and time-wise, where it becomes an exercise in futility.  I think I'll go for the NWSL wheelset replacement and see how much of an improvement that makes.  It is a bit pricey but not a show stopper.  I doubt I'll go to the lengths shown by Chris's drawing.  I do like to tinker but I'm with Ron (u18b) on this one.  If the wheelsets don't do a better job, well, I can always use static units strategically placed in a yard somewhere  :D

Doug

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2017, 01:14:33 PM »
The reason behind my drawing is because the stock motor shaft is something like 1.2mm instead of a normal 1.5mm. I used the stock shaft like in the drawing so that the springs would still fit on them. It did work.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »
The replacement wheelsets turn the S2 back into a fully functional engine, as opposed to trying to run it with cracked gears, which is just about hopeless.  So I agree, I'd replace those to get the engine running again, and then decide if you want to invest in further improvements like the motor.

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2017, 03:37:13 PM »

Just my 2 cents.

After much ciphering I came to the same conclusion. Sure, it can be done, but there are much better alternatives now. I sold mine off, too.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

Loren Perry

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2017, 03:51:45 PM »
The Arnold S2 needs new wheels because the gears crack.  The NWSL wheelsets shouldn't ever crack.

Now it seems that the Atlas S2 has a problem with axle cracks.  I wouldn't be so quick to dump the Arnold, as long as you have it, and it meets your needs.  Besides, if you already have the loco, paid for, the upgrades are still cheaper than a new loco.

Maybe someone can get NWSL to make replacement wheelsets for Atlas?

I have three Arnold S-2 switchers and have modified all with NWSL wheel sets and resin pilots to fill in the huge gap meant for the truck mounted couplers. The resin pilots include fittings for body mounted couplers. I also took the time to straighten out the coil spring worm on the motor shaft and this really smoothed out the drive train. They run really well now, despite the lack of a flywheel. I can use them in routine yard switching without any issues. I really like these models.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2017, 04:11:07 PM »
Not all prototype S2's had filled in pilots.

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2017, 04:26:31 PM »
My first Arnold S2 had a slightly bent motor shaft.
 Joe D

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2017, 07:26:29 PM »
My first Arnold S2 had a slightly bent motor shaft.
 Joe D

Motor shaft?

Or those spring thing worms?
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist