Author Topic: Improving the Arnold S2  (Read 12403 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Improving the Arnold S2
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2019, 12:51:28 AM »
That's an awesome good runner!  Nice work!  I love seeing these old relics that had "so much potential" turned into engines that run well by current standards.   Can you do anything about the headlight flicker though?  It seems to flicker in response to momentary increases in load on the motor.

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2090
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2019, 07:07:41 AM »
Can you do anything about the headlight flicker though?  It seems to flicker in response to momentary increases in load on the motor.

Thanks Max,
I was thinking about the lights too. Could a capacitor be placed in the light circuit?

Closeup photos and video are brutal. It doesn’t look as bad when just watching the engine. Also, I took the video at St Louis RPM last weekend and lighting in the hall where the layout was set up was very low.

Jim
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2019, 10:08:17 AM »
+1
Both beautiful engines; very well done!  :)

Mark in Oregon

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1779
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2019, 01:12:13 PM »
Thanks Max,
I was thinking about the lights too. Could a capacitor be placed in the light circuit?

Closeup photos and video are brutal. It doesn’t look as bad when just watching the engine. Also, I took the video at St Louis RPM last weekend and lighting in the hall where the layout was set up was very low.

Jim
Yes, I would think a capacitor wired across the LED would help.  Make sure to get the polarity right, of course, and I don't know how much room you have.   You could try a 10 uF to see if that's enough to get rid of the problem.  Hopefully, you won't need more than that, to keep the component size down.

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2019, 01:49:29 PM »
Wow! Very nicely done.

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2090
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2019, 04:51:56 PM »
Yes, I would think a capacitor wired across the LED would help.  Make sure to get the polarity right, of course, and I don't know how much room you have.   You could try a 10 uF to see if that's enough to get rid of the problem.  Hopefully, you won't need more than that, to keep the component size down.

There’s plenty of room in the cab for even E case caps.
I’ll give it a try and report back.
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure