Author Topic: 2017 St. Louis RPM Meet - Product News  (Read 1723 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2271
2017 St. Louis RPM Meet - Product News
« on: June 25, 2017, 05:40:03 PM »
+2
It just occurred to me that I had minor product news to share from the St. Louis RPM show for vendors that didn't make it to the N scale meet.

Central Valley Model Works has discontinued their #1810 truss bridge kit ("regular" vertical clearance) and are now only cataloging the high-clearance bridge, #1820. They're basically the same, with the #1810 bridge having a little bit of fine bracing at the top of each portal. I can't fault them for consolidating, but if you liked the regular bridge as I do, now is probably the time to rifle through dealer stock for any future projects you may have in mind.

Additional and more significant - I think I was talking to Jeffery Parker (owner), and he said outright he was unhappy with the N scale tie system, feeling he could do better. He has firm plans to re-release new tooling in 2018 including Code 40 capability.

Iowa Scaled Engineering was demonstrating their hand-held miniature control stand throttle, previously discussed here. It was drawing quite a crowd, so I didn't have the opportunity for hands-on before we had to leave. They were also demonstrating their modular signaling system, "modular" in the sense that it was designed for modular layouts to allow any mix of modules to communicate with each other and down the line into a rough approximation of an ABS signal system without specifically programming for it.

Proto 87 had nothing new to speak of, but Tim was twisting my arm pretty hard about coming out there (Pismo Beach) to visit and spend time with them and the folks at Central Valley. Must be lonely on the California coast north of Santa Barbara. :D

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
Re: 2017 St. Louis RPM Meet - Product News
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 06:04:14 PM »
+2
Additional and more significant - I think I was talking to Jeffery Parker (owner), and he said outright he was unhappy with the N scale tie system, feeling he could do better. He has firm plans to re-release new tooling in 2018 including Code 40 capability.

This is awesome news.  Maybe just in time for my industrial track needs.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +977
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 06:04:58 PM »

This is exciting news, will be following this with great interest. I liked the look of the current tie strips, hopefully the new line is even better. :)
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1664
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 09:38:58 PM »
I was talking to Jeffery Parker (owner), and he said outright he was unhappy with the N scale tie system, feeling he could do better. He has firm plans to re-release new tooling in 2018 including Code 40 capability.

Anything with concrete ties (either Code 40 or 55)?

Ed

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 09:54:53 PM »

I'd love to see the tie spacing issue resolved and get some matching turnouts and crossings. It's layout building time soon.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2271
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 09:57:26 PM »
No mention. Given that the extensive line of HO ties doesn't represent anything other than wood, I'd hazard a guess and say "no".

He smiled when I asked about turnouts, replying they were not in the plans.

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +215
    • Modutrak
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 12:47:29 AM »
It just occurred to me that I had minor product news to share from the St. Louis RPM show for vendors that didn't make it to the N scale meet.

Iowa Scaled Engineering was demonstrating their hand-held miniature control stand throttle, previously discussed here. It was drawing quite a crowd, so I didn't have the opportunity for hands-on before we had to leave. They were also demonstrating their modular signaling system, "modular" in the sense that it was designed for modular layouts to allow any mix of modules to communicate with each other and down the line into a rough approximation of an ABS signal system without specifically programming for it.

Some of us did get to play with it, er operate with it, and it was quite addicting! I think Shane, Brakeman 17, spent 2-3 hours or more over the 2 days switching with it and would have left with one if it was for sale! Hopefully, they will have some programming completed that will allow us to use it on the Modutrak layout at the Chicagoland (Lilse/Naperville) RPM in October. Nice to see you again and meet Robin. I would agree with her that the RPM type meets are very different than the typical "lets try to appeal to everybody" mindset that the usual local show has. Although there is stuff for sale, it is about appreciating other peoples modeling skills, learning a few things, and setting your own sights and expectations higher. I learn something at every one I have been to, and wish that I could make it to more.
Rick

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +215
    • Modutrak
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 12:57:07 AM »
Here is a link to some video I took of a few different trains at a few different locations on the Modutrak layout
I took some shots of the models also, but have to upload them.
Rick