Author Topic: C636 coming from CESM  (Read 9908 times)

dcutting

• Crew
  • Respect: -57
Re: N C636 from CESM
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2017, 09:57:17 PM »
Response submitted (fingers crossed the price estimate doesn't put too many people off)

Are you also planning to make the sideframes available separately? I like the look of those CR/ Reading late production C-630s...

Thanks for taking the initiative on this, David!

I have a few tweaks to make to the side frames and I need to do a test print, but yeah. They're big sideframes so they aren't printing as cheap as, say, flexicoils or Hi-ad B trucks.

I'd love for the price to be lower too. The reality is that I can't make it any cheaper. The tooling and materials are that expensive. With any luck you could find a C630 mechanism for $60-$70, bringing the build cost to $220 or $230 plus a decoder. If you're looking for atlas prices, this model is not for you.
David Cutting

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2017, 10:25:18 PM »
Hmm, would I pay over 100$ bucks for an undecorated shell?....I can't say for sure, but I need a bunch of Phase 3 RS3 shells from Skytop models, and they are only about 30$ or so, and I haven't done that yet!.

Couple of things come to mind...DO NOT install windows in undec models!!!!!!.Or, probably ANY of the parts, leave that to the modeler...And wouldn't this save pretty much ALL of the work needed to prepare the model for painting?...That price seems HUGE for an undec model... :scared:

About 150$ for a decorated, custom, fully assembled, plug and play shell isn't that bad...But will the grab irons be cast, installed wire, or supplied dimples to drill out and install my own?..Pilot details?

However, I do wish you luck in getting this model to market, I hope you can make a go of it..

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2017, 11:22:03 PM »
Hmm, would I pay over 100$ bucks for an undecorated shell?....I can't say for sure, but I need a bunch of Phase 3 RS3 shells from Skytop models, and they are only about 30$ or so, and I haven't done that yet!.

Couple of things come to mind...DO NOT install windows in undec models!!!!!!.Or, probably ANY of the parts, leave that to the modeler...And wouldn't this save pretty much ALL of the work needed to prepare the model for painting?...That price seems HUGE for an undec model... :scared:

About 150$ for a decorated, custom, fully assembled, plug and play shell isn't that bad...But will the grab irons be cast, installed wire, or supplied dimples to drill out and install my own?..Pilot details?

However, I do wish you luck in getting this model to market, I hope you can make a go of it..

That is true on the price. It might be lower and probably will be for the undecs. The grabs and all detail parts will be wire or etched and will be pre-installed on the model. The skytop models shells are just the shell, none of the many details that I will be offering. Just wanted to make that clear.
David Cutting

milwsd45

• Respect: 0
Re: N C636 from CESM - Interest Survey Now Open!
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2017, 07:51:43 PM »
I would be interested in purchasing one in SP&S paint since I already have a C-630 mechanism I can use.

Will you include specific roadnumbers on the decorated shell?

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2017, 11:51:01 PM »
I would be interested in purchasing one in SP&S paint since I already have a C-630 mechanism I can use.

Will you include specific roadnumbers on the decorated shell?

Road numbers will probably be decals for the modeler to install.
David Cutting

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2017, 01:09:37 AM »
I'm not really keen on RTR models, sorry. Takes all the modeling out of it.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2017, 01:26:14 AM »
I put in for an SP&S.  I'd like a BN as well, but budget limitations...
N Kalanaga
Be well

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2017, 09:02:10 AM »
I'm not really keen on RTR models, sorry. Takes all the modeling out of it.

The undecs will basically be kits if you're interested.
David Cutting

dcutting

• Crew
Re: C636 coming from CESM
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2017, 08:03:50 PM »
+3
It's been about a month, and now that I'm back from vacation I can finally get serious about producing these. I just generated the final render for the model complete with most of the brass parts. I left a few off because they were too small to make a huge difference, and the handrails aren't bent. All of the design is done at this point. Here's what I've got:

On assembly - I had said that I would be offering these as RTR shells but because I'm a student that isn't going to be possible - the summer is hurtling to an end in just more than a month. Because of that, I will offer them as kits. Price will be $100 per kit. Before I get beaten up for the price ;) I would remind everyone that in addition to the three part shell plus detail parts and two etched sheets, I am including a pair of 3D printed side frames in each kit which are not cheap to produce.

Preorders - I am ordering the test parts this weekend and I should have a prototype ready in two weeks maximum, at which time pre-orders will begin. I really hope to have all kits out in the first two days of September, but that is yet to be seen. I will need a minimum of 50 units to go into production.

I still need to decide which scheme to paint the prototype unit in. I've set up a quick survey here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc8xFkeW0bbzc9trtHul49MfNFjnhsTRAKD5L-oLPWGQlojjA/viewform?usp=sf_link

And here are the results, updated live: https://docs.google.com/a/cescalemodels.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc8xFkeW0bbzc9trtHul49MfNFjnhsTRAKD5L-oLPWGQlojjA/viewanalytics

David
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:06:35 PM by dcutting »
David Cutting

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2017, 09:55:10 PM »
+1
$100 is perfectly reasonable, David, relative to other Shapeways shell "kits" once you add things like the etch frets. Compare to the kits our good friend James is offering for the big Centuries, DD35 and the Baldwin transfer unit and you are right there in the ballpark.

As an Alco-holic I'd normally jump on this, but can't justify it given my target road didn't run them, not to mention the many other unfinished Shapeways shells sitting on my bench. Do the RS27, tho', and you'll have an order for three. ;)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2017, 10:18:27 PM »
On the fence. If this were a complete loco kit, including chassis and motor, I'd seriously consider it, though I need 6 to 8 of them. But as this is just a shell, I'm having a hard time with the cost.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2017, 11:03:44 PM »
On the fence. If this were a complete loco kit, including chassis and motor, I'd seriously consider it, though I need 6 to 8 of them. But as this is just a shell, I'm having a hard time with the cost.

As I said, the trucks add some decent cost to it. I'm not making much at all on these as it stands. Sorry.
David Cutting

Curtis Kyger

• Crew
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2017, 11:11:18 PM »
I hope you'll offer those HiAd trucks separately for those wanting to upgrade their C&O, RDG and private road name Atlas C630's.

dcutting

• Crew
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2017, 11:18:16 PM »
I hope you'll offer those HiAd trucks separately for those wanting to upgrade their C&O, RDG and private road name Atlas C630's.

That's the plan... i just have to finish the test print which I ordered about 5 minutes ago. I won't sell them through shapeways, instead another company will be producing them so I will sell them through my site. The other company has the CLIP technology that I need plus it's cheaper.

David
David Cutting

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2017, 12:49:54 AM »
+3
I think it's a perfectly reasonable cost.  I'm not sure how you can expect to get a chassis and motor at this price.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA