Author Topic: Rerun of Kato Morning Daylight  (Read 3553 times)

atsf3751

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
Rerun of Kato Morning Daylight
« on: April 05, 2017, 05:28:57 PM »
I have the original release and this one is a bit smaller. The original set offered four of the two car articulated coaches as extra cars. This one only one set plus a decal sheet you can buy to renumber the coaches. Is this really an improvement?

One nice thing is that the GS-4 can pull this train (10 car basic set plus 4 articulated coaches) on the club layout without helpers and that includes climbing a 2% grade.

I also wonder if Kato will make available the close-coupling conversion as well, or will the cars come with those already equipped?
Marty Young
San Diego, CA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Rerun of Kato Morning Daylight
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 05:41:24 PM »
You expected an improvement?  Was there anything to be improved in the initial run?  :|

I thought that the announcement I just saw in the N-Scale Magazine mentioned that the cars were all renamed in this release. They did also mention decals for the articulated cars.
. . . 42 . . .

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 06:22:55 PM »
Considering this would be the 3rd run of the train set. I'm not at all surprised by the decal option. Honestly, those numbers on the cars are so small, only when I'm up close to them can I see exactly what they say. I bought a new GS4 with the lines, as like you have the original run, and its showing its age, but other than improvements again to the GS4 nothing has changed set wise. This run of the GS4 came with the drivers like what is under the UP FEF.

The numbers of the 10 car basic set seem to be a mix of numbers used in the previous two runs, yet using a new number for the Chair car.

The close couplers will be an add-on by the modeler to do themselves like the previous runs.

Really, this is just another run, pretty much no different than what they have done before on any of the other sets.

http://katousa.com/N/Daylight/index.html

I keep trying to find a "cheap" SP 4450 that I can use to double head them together, but not sure if/when that might actually happen.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:25:33 PM by EspeeGoldenState »
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 06:28:49 PM »
Really, this is just another run, pretty much no different than what they have done before on any of the other sets.

Except it's different lettering.

Jason

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 08:07:18 PM »
I wish they had done another road number as well.  My original run has this one small odd white spot on the tender. I suppose I could try to touch it up, but would need to figure out a color match.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 09:25:12 PM »
Except it's different lettering.

Jason

How so? The cars in the previous sets have all said SOUTHERN PACIFIC LINES on the them. Same as these.

The GS4 is of the Lines version. 2010 release was Lines as well. The original 2008 release of the GS4 did have the big SOUTHERN PACIFIC on the tender. The OP asked about the cars not the GS4. The GS4 was updated yet again to use the same type of drivers found under the FEF.

Chris

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 09:37:44 PM »
How so? The cars in the previous sets have all said SOUTHERN PACIFIC LINES on the them. Same as these.

I don't think that's correct.  @EspeeGoldenState , Can you show a picture of a previous set of cars with "Lines" in the name?

Jason
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:43:22 PM by wcfn100 »

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 09:45:42 PM »
I guess I am wrong, I thought the 2011 set was Lines version as well, to match the GS4. I just realized the original set just has the SP only.

So the lettering is the other difference then. My apologies to all.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 09:48:02 PM by EspeeGoldenState »

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 10:22:37 PM »
You expected an improvement?  Was there anything to be improved in the initial run?  :|

3 poles <ducking> :P

I am thinking about picking this run up, just need some diesels to pull it. 8)

Mark

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 11:51:22 PM »
3 poles <ducking> :P

I am thinking about picking this run up, just need some diesels to pull it. 8)

Mark

LOL!  How appropriate!  Hey, that tiny 3-pole skew-wound motor (also used on NW2) uses very strong rare-earth magnets and has a lot of oomph.   :) The GS4 can pull the entire Morning Daylight consist up a 2% grade.  :P

But I think we were mostly discussing the cars, not the loco. But who knows, maybe Kato will surprise us by revising the GS4 frame and installed the same coreless motor they used on FEF3 (and some Japanese steamers).  :)
. . . 42 . . .

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 11:38:08 AM »
LOL!  How appropriate!  Hey, that tiny 3-pole skew-wound motor (also used on NW2) uses very strong rare-earth magnets and has a lot of oomph.   :) The GS4 can pull the entire Morning Daylight consist up a 2% grade.  :P

But I think we were mostly discussing the cars, not the loco. But who knows, maybe Kato will surprise us by revising the GS4 frame and installed the same coreless motor they used on FEF3 (and some Japanese steamers).  :)

I don't question the pulling power. I really love the proto GS4, but I was heavily disappointed when Kato decided to use a 3 pole motor in this loco. I have seen many 3 polers that can go slow but none so far that can go smooth and slow at the same time - at least not to my oddball requirements. :P

I was secretly hoping that Kato would improve this release with the coreless motor.  :lol:

Mark

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +127
    • IG
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 12:56:01 PM »
I am patiently waiting for mine to get here.  :D
Not sure if i will dissect like i do other Katos i get brand new... may have to leave that up to Spooky... or our very own Peteski  ;) no promises of me sending mine though, i will be trying to figure out how to put loksound in her.
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 04:55:37 PM »
I don't question the pulling power. I really love the proto GS4, but I was heavily disappointed when Kato decided to use a 3 pole motor in this loco. I have seen many 3 polers that can go slow but none so far that can go smooth and slow at the same time - at least not to my oddball requirements. :P

I was secretly hoping that Kato would improve this release with the coreless motor.  :lol:

Mark

That is usually true with pure DC throttle, but with either a pulsed DC throttle or even better, with a DCC decoder, you can get the 3-pole motor running very smoothly at very low speeds.  Especially with a well-made mechanism in Kato locos. At least in my experience.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 04:57:22 PM »
no promises of me sending mine though, i will be trying to figure out how to put loksound in her.

With any release of the GS-4 or FEF3, the sound decoder goes in a cavernous tender.

. . . 42 . . .

NorsemanJack

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 09:15:41 PM »
I received mine today.  GS-4 and cars all checked out as usual Kato quality.  I bought two of the add on articulated coaches but, as has already been pointed out, the lettering is so small that I likely won't bother with the decals.  I may double head the new 4449 with my 4450 as a photo op, but likely not a routine operation.  I don't believe the SP ever did this, instead using other locos if needed as "helpers."  Somebody else can and should correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Speaking of diesels, I'm looking for the road number 6055 PA-1 Daylight to complete an ABBA set if anybody has one to sell or knows where one might be.....