Author Topic: Clinchfield RR Layout. Where is it now  (Read 3310 times)

RAILCAT

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
Clinchfield RR Layout. Where is it now
« on: January 28, 2017, 08:04:07 AM »
With MR doing a new N scale layout on Canadian Canyons
I wonder where the Clinchfield from 1978 is now, if it still exists?.

atsf_arizona

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
    • My PBase Photo album where my Model RR pictures are
Re: Clinchfield RR Layout. Where is it now
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 08:21:57 AM »
+2
Hi, I don't know for sure, but I would hope this guy who owned it a few years ago, and was updating it to Digitrax DCC, still owns it. 

Anyone know?  :)

http://www.pbase.com/atsf_arizona/n_scale_clinchfield_rr&page=all

Photos of the historic N scale Clinchfield RR - on display at 2008 Natl N Scale Convention in Louisville.
This is the original 1978 layout built by Gordon Odeegard of Model Railroader - at that time, owned
by David Fugate of Virginia. David purchased the Clinchfield layout in about 2006,
and maintained this layout and displayed it at shows for us all to see.

This is me on the left, and David Fugate on the right. 

(As far as I know, David is not related to Joe Fugate of Model Railroad Hobbyist fame).

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:24:47 AM by atsf_arizona »
John Sing
Sarasota, FL
http://pbase.com/atsf_arizona
https://web.archive.org/web/20151002184727/home.comcast.net/~j.sing/
========
Modeling the Santa Fe's Peavine Line (Ash Fork -> Phoenix, Arizona) during the 50s and 60s

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +112
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 11:07:25 AM »
Whenever the topic of the CRR project RR comes up I wonder how they would do it today with the concept of staging added to the mix.   

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +150
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 01:14:14 PM »
Funny this came p, I was just looking for my Kambach book on the Clinchfied layout to explore a Pacific NW version.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

Dave V

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3666
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 01:36:11 PM »
Whenever the topic of the CRR project RR comes up I wonder how they would do it today with the concept of staging added to the mix.

Agreed, and I also wonder if they would have used such tight curve radii today.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 03:36:17 PM »

Good point about the sharp curves Dave... I had forgotten how tight they had made them. 

I could see a similar layout but with less of that back & forth stuff from one side of the layout to the other necessitating the sharp curves. 

Instead I could see the yard pretty much as it is, but have a staging yard on the other side of the layout– opposite the yard.  There would be less of a mainline run but it would make for more varied operations IMO.

Mstyle88

• Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 05:08:35 PM »
There was a Pacific Northwest version recently as a project in the N Scale Railroading magazine called the Spokane International. It had a slightly similar track plan to the Clinchfield but a little wider curves and more operating potential.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +150
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 04:02:48 AM »
There was a Pacific Northwest version recently as a project in the N Scale Railroading magazine called the Spokane International. It had a slightly similar track plan to the Clinchfield but a little wider curves and more operating potential.

I'll have to dig up my NSR back issues and pay attention to that one.
Now seeking Pacific NW N scalers to create a Modutrak-style modular club featuring NP's shared mainline between Seattle and Portland. PM me if interested.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 04:42:15 AM »
Most of the tighter curves were hidden in tunnels on the Clinchfield layout, so that mitigated much of their visual effect.
One of the videos on the new Canadian Canyons layout mentions 15" to 17" radius curves, as compared to the 12" minimum on the Clinchfield.
No doubt there's still been a trade off made to keep the layout size in check for portability.

Dave V

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3666
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »
Most of the tighter curves were hidden in tunnels on the Clinchfield layout, so that mitigated much of their visual effect.
One of the videos on the new Canadian Canyons layout mentions 15" to 17" radius curves, as compared to the 12" minimum on the Clinchfield.
No doubt there's still been a trade off made to keep the layout size in check for portability.

I don't know why I thought they had some 10" curves...  It also matters what you're running.  As long as you're not running 89' TOFCs and auto parts boxcars you're probably OK.  That's the nice thing about a coal railroad.  Hoppers aren't long.  I'm struggling to remember, but I imagine they had 6-axle SD power on that layout that did just fine, right?

I do really like that layout.  I wore my Dad's copy of the book ragged even when neither of us were in N scale.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 11:07:34 AM »
I don't know why I thought they had some 10" curves...  It also matters what you're running.  As long as you're not running 89' TOFCs and auto parts boxcars you're probably OK.  That's the nice thing about a coal railroad.  Hoppers aren't long.  I'm struggling to remember, but I imagine they had 6-axle SD power on that layout that did just fine, right?

I do really like that layout.  I wore my Dad's copy of the book ragged even when neither of us were in N scale.

You know I was thinking about something like this being a Dave V. layout...

-Cockpit design
-You could have a two-track main that folds upon itself creating the illusion of 4 tracks
-A switching/town where the Clinchfield yard is and opposite of that your staging

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Oh, it's an Owl!
  • Respect: +529
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 11:24:13 AM »
I don't know why I thought they had some 10" curves...

The Clinchfield did have one 10-5/16" curve and one 11" curve inside the tunnels.  The rest were 12" and larger.

Jason

Van Horne

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 12:19:13 PM »
Seeing the Clinchfield in person at the Louisville Convention was one of the real highlights of that trip for me.  There were two things that happened in the 70s that really launched N scale into the mainstream in my opinion.  One was the Clinchfield series.  The other was Gordon Odegard's work with code 40 rail and the example he set for the realism possible in N scale.

Dave

Mstyle88

• Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 03:32:14 PM »

I'll have to dig up my NSR back issues and pay attention to that one.

I found a small blog site on that Spokane International layout with a link to MRR for a track plan -

http://spokaneinternationalrailway.blogspot.com/

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 05:33:52 PM »
with a link to MRR for a track plan

A waste of a link since you have to be a subscriber to view the track plan...