Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/22/17  (Read 6791 times)

jgiovenni

• Respect: +22
Re: Weekend Update 1/22/17
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 12:14:29 PM »
+1
Hi to all,

old and new structures at the Low River Grain Elevator

Ciao!

Giovanni
www.plasticando.com

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +274
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 02:43:47 PM »
+1
Rich S:  I've seen a lot of steel coil loads here in northeast Kentucky, and have also never seen two coils side-by-side.  I have seen what happens when one comes off the trailer.  Most back here are hauled "suicide", although I've never heard the term used.  Every now and then one comes loose, rolls onto the road, usually makes a big hole in the pavement, then uncoils.  It can close the Interstate all day, or longer, while they try to pick it up, because they won't reroll!  Even if it stays intact the closure can last for hours, while they get a big crane, then patch the hole in the road.  I don't remember anyone being killed by one in the 38 years we've been here, but there have been a few injuries, mostly to the truck driver, as the loss of load usually causes the driver to lose control.

Placing heavy objects over the wheels was also very common, although not necessarily a rule, with railroads.  A single large object would usually be centered on a flatcar or gon, but if there were two, they would usually be over the trucks. 

I doubt that it matters with today's freight cars, but a century or more ago, concentrating the load in the middle could overstress the frame.
N Kalanaga
Be well

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +829
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 04:44:56 PM »
+4
As we enter 2017, I am pushing forward on two fronts with respect to layout construction.  The Micro Engineering bridge flex track for the Pine River bridge is now assembled and ready to be weathered:

Unfortunately I have run into problems with the refuge bays - an error in manufacture of the parts results in crooked assembly, and they are not really the right arrangement for my prototype.  I have sketched a suitable replacement for them and will get them made via Shapeways.

My other project is to push forward with the yard at Dawson Creek.  Last week I removed the temporary structures and scenic mats, vacuumed the benchwork, and drew the locations of the cross-members and LED light strips located underneath.  This is important as they will determine where to locate the turnout throw wires and track feeder wires, or more accurately, where not to!  I then replaced the structures and placed loose sections of track and turnouts to determine the best arrangement.

This view shows the current end of steel at right, which will also be the division point between power districts for Kiskatinaw and Dawson Creek.  From there the mainline will follow an 18" radius curve around to the crossing of Washington Road and the first yard turnout, which will lead to the Northwest Wood Preservers mill in the corner:

The next photograph is taken from above Washington Road and looks east along the yard tracks.  The yard comprises the main track, three siding tracks, a runaround track, and an elevator track.  There are two tracks serving the company trailer ramp at right.  The pencil line at left locates the foremost LED light strip underneath, which I need to avoid.  This track arrangement virtually duplicates the prototoype:

This is a view approximating that of an operator working the yard, looking west toward the Washington Road crossing.  The grain bins represent Western Agri-Service, and the Alberta Wheat Pool elevator is in the distance.  The gondolas are sitting on the siding and runaround tracks.  The three siding tracks will be approximately 41", 53" and 62" in length and will hold a total of approximately 36 cars:

This view is looking in the opposite direction and shows the grain elevators for Cargill Ltd. and Fosters Seed & Feed, with the elevator service track in front of them:

The east end of the yard includes the Scott National warehouse (which I will model 1/3 of against the backdrop) and the company station and freight shed.  In front of the station and freight shed are two shed tracks, and the station track with crossover from the main track.  The main track continued east across 21st Street to a connection with the Northern Alberta Railways:

With the turnouts at the west end of the yard now located, I have started assembly of the balsa spline sub-roadbed for the main line curve into the yard, and that will keep me busy during the coming week.

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1307
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2017, 09:25:46 PM »
+2
So, this is happening right now  :)  @Ed Kapuscinski  ...

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:28:58 PM by cbroughton67 »
Chris Broughton

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1307
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2017, 09:29:47 PM »
+6
Finished these guys up, finally...

Chris Broughton

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +650
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2017, 10:26:01 PM »
+4
No work this weekend, just fun. My parents were in town visiting, so my Dad and I had an ops session on the Skally. Here he is switching out Rush City with one of the SD40M-2s.
Karl
CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +142
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 11:20:15 PM »
That's awesome...did he pass down the railroad gene to you or are you the first family member with it?

No work this weekend, just fun. My parents were in town visiting, so my Dad and I had an ops session on the Skally. Here he is switching out Rush City with one of the SD40M-2s.
(Attachment Link)

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2017, 12:19:51 AM »
+8
Continuing progress on the HO Greyhound Station....

Next step is paint.
Tony Hines

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +650
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »
That's awesome...did he pass down the railroad gene to you or are you the first family member with it?

He passed the gene on. I still have the first two freight cars he bought me 30 some years ago. I paid him back by getting him a new boxcar for transporting my latest catch to me: a Northern Pacific Switch Stand of the real Skally Line!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:14:27 AM by jpwisc »
Karl
CEO of the Skally Line, an Eastern MN Shortline.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 12:04:40 PM »
+1
I need to clean my workbench  :facepalm:

Dave V

• Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3794
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2017, 12:09:33 PM »
I need to clean my workbench  :facepalm:

Wow, looks way cleaner than mine!  Not kidding either.   :facepalm:
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +680
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2017, 12:49:50 PM »

Next step is paint.

Randy, that is so sweet! Nice and neat job, too!
Otto K.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +424
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2017, 01:14:12 PM »
Randy, that is so sweet! Nice and neat job, too!
Otto K.

You too Tony.   ;)
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +475
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2017, 01:34:38 PM »
+1

Next step is paint.

Sure wish they sold this in N scale (and yes I am aware of IMEX version . . . .)
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +901
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2017, 01:41:39 PM »
Gareth,

This is beautiful.  Odd though it may be, my eye is immediately drawn the little leaf spring detail in the lower right front corner of the engine in one of your photos.   I need to make some of those myself.  How did you you do that?

-- Max

I started my next 2mm Finescale locomotive. It is a London and South Western M7 class 0-4-4T. Now I have to sit on my hands for a couple of weeks until the wheels and gears show up.