Author Topic: Nscale Rapido Baggage- Express Car  (Read 866 times)

wishj

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Nscale Rapido Baggage- Express Car
« on: October 15, 2016, 03:36:50 AM »
Latest advert in N-Scale Mag the product will be relaunched with 3 new paint schemes John
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:51:49 AM by tom mann »

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +252
Re: Nscale Rapido Baggage- Express Car
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 10:22:37 AM »
Not sure what "relaunched" means.  They have added 3 paint schemes.  Do we need to cancel our several year old pre-orders (or in my case, putting in a request with MBK to be notified when they are available, which I have to assume impacts how many they order, as I always seem to get mine when I do that) and put in new ones?  I will give them credit for adding paint schemes that are plausible (although to get close to the CP car, I would change doors- for whatever reason, from the photos I could find, CP appears to have stuck with an older panel style door with multiple windows, even on their streamlined baggage cars, which also have a couple small windows in the sides, which most railroads gave up on with the introduction of electric lights).

Frankly, I think if they made it sans lighting and interior, and got it down to a $30-$35 US price, it would be price competitive with Kato and MT models and sell much better than it apparently has to date. Given that the current exchange rate is .76 US dollar to 1 Canadian dollar, per the Bank of Canada this morning, with a C$59.95 MSRP in Canada, the US MSRP in the "relaunch" should be about $45.95, not $54.95- even with the lighting and interior- which would at least put it in the ballpark with WoT cars, and with whatever discounts are offered for preorders could get it more in line with other similar cars.  As it is priced, I still want a couple to use in CN paint as CN cars, but unlikely to use them as standins in the other schemes, since the ones I would want (GTW and Erie, and I don't think they are even offering GTW) have more accurate models available as car sides, or I can slice and dice old Con Cor cars and get closer.

I love the quality of Rapido's passenger cars, but I am on a budget, and recognize that at their current cost, I can pick up a lightly used Kato F unit for the same price.

And yes, I do realize that there is more involved in international pricing than today's exchange rate, but Canadian dollar was particularly high (relative to the last 30 years or so) when they priced these several years ago.
Tom D.

Some things are better left unsaid. Which I generally realize right after I have said them.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 01:19:26 PM »
I really wonder what the direction will be for Rapido with the loss of Puddy.  They have admittedly misjudged the Nscale market on several occasions.  I hope they get some better traction in n scale.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1090
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 01:46:33 PM »
Pretty sure the model was initially announced in mid/late 2014, so it hasn't been several years.  I've seen the baggage car, it's an excellent model, and one that should be considered if appropriate for your railroads.

Rapido will be fine.  They're dedicated to N scale and lots of nifty stuff is in the pipeline.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +479
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 01:55:25 PM »
I really wonder what the direction will be for Rapido with the loss of Puddy.  They have admittedly misjudged the Nscale market on several occasions.  I hope they get some better traction in n scale.

I'm sure they will do fine ..

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +361
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 02:00:57 PM »
Pretty sure the model was initially announced in mid/late 2014, so it hasn't been several years.

I also think IIRC that Rapido's pricing is based in USD not CAD.
Ryan in Alberta

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +467
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 02:52:06 PM »
In the OPs defense, the ad is headed with the word "relaunched" in big yellow letters.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Respect: +361
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 04:03:05 PM »
What are the new paint schemes?
Ryan in Alberta

wishj

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 04:37:58 PM »
New paint schemes: CN (Noodle) three versions
                            :CP regular body w/41-BNO-11 trucks
                             :Ontario Northland (Chevron)
They have updated their web site  John

wishj

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 04:58:47 PM »
News received today that production will start March 2017 with delivery mid 2017 some railroads could be drop due to lack of orders i.e. Penn Central, S.P.,B&O, Erie and Missouri Pacific  Info was their latest newsletter John

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 05:21:17 PM »
Pretty sure the model was initially announced in mid/late 2014, so it hasn't been several years.  I've seen the baggage car, it's an excellent model, and one that should be considered if appropriate for your railroads.

Rapido will be fine.  They're dedicated to N scale and lots of nifty stuff is in the pipeline.

I placed my order on 9/25/15.  I don't recall waiting 9-12 months to place my order after announcements. I just got their email, nothing new for N Scale. I don't consider additional roadnames as a new announcement. We seem to get about as many announcements per year as HO gets per month. 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +474
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 11:14:55 PM »

No doubt that some of that nifty stuff will run on New Haven.   

;) ;) ;)
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1090
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 04:53:09 AM »
No doubt that some of that nifty stuff will run on New Haven.   
 ;) ;) ;)

8)
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net