Author Topic: ExactRail metal wheels (33" and 36") 12 and 100 packs  (Read 4387 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: ExactRail metal wheels (33" and 36") 12 and 100 packs
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 09:54:30 PM »
The old Arnold Rapido track would rust, so Magnetraction would have worked on it.   ;)

Carter

You are correct, but how many people are still using Arnold track in U.S.?  :)  That (chemically blackened) track also had unprotypical profile with a semicircular rail-head and Arnold touted that design as self-cleaning.
. . . 42 . . .

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +982
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2016, 11:24:33 AM »
Ferrous is "related to iron", so ferrous material would be magnetic, no?

Pete, you are correct... but I think the misunderstanding is that when people hear magnetic they assume it means possessing a magnetic field, rather then simply being attracted to magnetic fields (like ferrous materials). both usages are correct but the former is the more common understanding...

I was confused at first and had to look it up :)
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2016, 04:17:24 PM »
Are the actual wheel magnetic, or just the steel axle?

The wheels themselves are (ferro)magnetic.  I pulled one off an axle to double-check.  I also found a post from a few years ago where I showed that the crud picked up by these wheels (on my layout, at least) was also magnetic.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2016, 04:54:28 PM »
The wheels themselves are (ferro)magnetic.  I pulled one off an axle to double-check.  I also found a post from a few years ago where I showed that the crud picked up by these wheels (on my layout, at least) was also magnetic.

Hmm . . . probably steel  wheels (just like the prototype). Interesting . . .  The question is "why?" Cost of the metal maybe?
. . . 42 . . .

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 05:18:51 PM »
Hmm . . . probably steel  wheels (just like the prototype). Interesting . . .  The question is "why?" Cost of the metal maybe?

Of course we all know that steel wheels are MUCH more prototypical than brass ones... :trollface:

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2016, 05:52:13 PM »
Possibly the process they are made is determining the material...

If they are cold cast rather then fully machined, that could explain the presence of ferrous materials...

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 07:18:07 PM »
Possibly the process they are made is determining the material...

If they are cold cast rather then fully machined, that could explain the presence of ferrous materials...

You mean like those crappy sintered wheels Athearn used to use in their H0 locomotives?  I would hope not.

Or:
"Cold-Casting" is a term used to describe the process of mixing metal powder with a resin to create castings that give the appearance of solid metal. The metal cold-cast process (also known as "bonded bronze") is faster and much less expensive compared with foundry casting of molten metal (lost wax process.)
. . . 42 . . .

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2016, 07:43:17 PM »
You mean like those crappy sintered wheels Athearn used to use in their H0 locomotives?  I would hope not.

Or:
"Cold-Casting" is a term used to describe the process of mixing metal powder with a resin to create castings that give the appearance of solid metal. The metal cold-cast process (also known as "bonded bronze") is faster and much less expensive compared with foundry casting of molten metal (lost wax process.)

The second one :) Its a method commonly used to make gears and casings in modern power tools. It is machinable and IIRC can be done with different base metals... (likely I goofed on the terminology there lol)
and of course I'm simply speculating, I haven't seen an Exactrail wheel yet...

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2016, 07:50:06 PM »
The second one :) Its a method commonly used to make gears and casings in modern power tools. It is machinable and IIRC can be done with different base metals... (likely I goofed on the terminology there lol)
and of course I'm simply speculating, I haven't seen an Exactrail wheel yet...

Ah, I think what you describing is a powder metallurgy process (aka sintering, like those crappy Athearn wheels) after all. I have seen gears and other parts made that way. But the rough surface is not optimal for model R wheels (where the rough surface will pick up dirt).  Cold casting uses metal powder mixed with resin where sintering fuses the metal particles without use of any binder.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 09:21:06 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2016, 07:57:13 PM »
+1
... I have seen ears and other parts made that way. ...

I thought they grew them in beakers.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2016, 08:21:35 PM »
Ah, I think what you describing is a powder metallurgy process (aka sintering, like those crappy Athearn wheels) after all. I have seen ears and other parts made that way. But the rough surface is not optimal for model R wheels (where the rough surface will pick up dirt).  Cold casting uses metal powder mixed with resin where sintering fuses the metal particles without use of any binder.

Perhaps... I honestly don't know enough about the process to say for a certainty... I seem to recall a binder being mentioned in discussion but I will yield to anyone with greater knowledge :)

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2016, 09:22:59 PM »
I thought they grew them in beakers.

LOLski!  The spelling checker found the spelling perfectly fine.  :) Fixed.
. . . 42 . . .