Author Topic: BLI 2016-2017 Product Guide  (Read 10601 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4193
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: BLI 2016-2017 Product Guide
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 12:28:44 AM »
My sentiment exactly!  But we will have 4 now (Arnold made one too).  They had plenty of other exciting US prototype electric locos to choose.

Speaking of  Bachmann GG1, did it arrive already?  I haven't seen much buzz about it and I'm curious about its construction, sound decoder, and overall quality and fidelity.

Makes no sense at all.  I will be interested, as with the Bachmann model, in seeing if the pantographs are equalized and sprung.

The Bachmann ad in the Nov/Dec NSR states their Gs are shipping soon, so they should be imminent.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2016, 08:11:14 AM »
+1
- Christian J. Davis

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2016, 08:54:37 AM »
And Key (Nakamura?).

@ChristianJDavis1
They meant models that actually run.   :trollface:
Not shelf decor.   :trollface:
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2016, 09:04:15 AM »
Well, I guess BLI thinks all that stuff will sell. :o

Personally, I think the most significant thing is the T1, which means more steam. I wanna see some of that N&W steam trickle down to N ...

Mark

bman

• Crew
  • I gotta have more Conrail!
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2016, 09:32:15 AM »
Since I'm not that interested in sound at present, I'm missing something.  Anyone familiar with the Rolling Sound feature?  I read the feature page but and I get the fact that the loco is sending wireless signals to a box that the sub woofer is connected to.  I'm guessing the locomotive still has a speaker with sound as well?  I will say the units the guys at the club have from BLI do sound pretty good.  This addition of a sub woofer might just make me a convert to sound if it were ever offered in a board replacement.  I'd rather not have to buy more locomotives.  I'm not far from converting the DC ones I have to DCC here next spring.  About 1/4 of those will be the TCS split frame conversions and the main reason I've waited this long.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2016, 11:13:07 AM »
+2
You know it will be a matter of minutes before a parent tosses 'em in the dumpster. Why don't they just give Timmy a drum kit instead? Or bagpipes?  :trollface:  :facepalm:

Y'all laugh, but that's actually a brilliant product, depending on the price of course.   Super cheap to produce, and sell a factor of 1000x over locos. (at least)   And virtually no customer service/product support needed.

I mean....train track tread pattern.....who wouldn't love THAT?   :D   (I mean, you know, as a kid....of course)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2016, 11:36:21 AM »
+1
^^^ THIS.  Not to mention another way to lure youngsters to the hobby!  Sometimes our  :ashat: 's get in the way of vision.  Were it not for Thomas and Friends and all of their spinoff shoes, shirts lunchboxes, etc., my children would think I was totally loco (pun intended).

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7957
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2016, 12:48:04 PM »
+1
Nope. German manufacturers (like Arnold) have produced smoke-equipped European steam models years ago.

To me smoke is just a cute gimmick. The smoke meanders through the air like smoke from a cigarette sitting on an ashtray. To make smoke look real it woudl have to puff like real locos do. This is done in H0 scale with a small fan in the smoke box, but probably not feasible in N scale.

All locomotives are smoke equipped. The question is, can it be used more than once.

I can tell you, in the case of my Atlas MP15, it could not.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2016, 12:56:06 PM »
Since I'm not that interested in sound at present, I'm missing something.  Anyone familiar with the Rolling Sound feature?  I read the feature page but and I get the fact that the loco is sending wireless signals to a box that the sub woofer is connected to.  I'm guessing the locomotive still has a speaker with sound as well?  I will say the units the guys at the club have from BLI do sound pretty good.  This addition of a sub woofer might just make me a convert to sound if it were ever offered in a board replacement.  I'd rather not have to buy more locomotives.  I'm not far from converting the DC ones I have to DCC here next spring.  About 1/4 of those will be the TCS split frame conversions and the main reason I've waited this long.

I don't get this type of thinking at all (and you're not the only one).  Why in the world would someone wand a big thundering sound with belly-busting bass appear to be coming out of their 5" long locomotive?!  Even if you think it is cool to have a tiny toy sounding like a multi-ton monster, you will quickly get tired of it (and if you don't live alone then the same goes for your roommate or spouse).  I have experienced a sound simulatio like this few times in the past, at model train shows.

1st time it was back in the '80s.  One of my NTRAK colleges had a module depicting a diesel engine service facility. So, for the duration of the show he would be shunting diesels around the facitilty. One year he build a diesel engine sound emulator (I think he found a schematic in Model Railroader). He brought it to one of the shows where we had our layout set up. Along with the emulator, he dragged in a stereo amplifier and speakers from his home HiFi system. It was probably a 50W/channel amp and a 3-way speaker with a 15" woofer.  He hooked up the emulator to the DC throttle he used on his module (this was pre-DCC) and for the duration of the show he had it blasting the diesel engine and horns for the duration of the show. We were set up in a huge arena (Shriner's Auditorium). It is probably 500x200 feet and about 30 feet high open space.  You could clearly hear his diesel sounds on the opposite end of the arena!  Imagine how annoying it was right next to the speaker!  We told him to turn it down several times (he did), but even then, but the end of the day we were ready to kill him!  Needles to say, that setup did not last very long.

The other time was fairly recent. Again, the same arena. A vendor next to our layout had a sound system set up. I think it was the Kato unit but he had it piped to an amp and a speaker. The effect was the same as I mentioned before - we asked the guy to turn it down and by the end of the show we were so happy that we could go home to some peace and quiet.

To me the full sound coming from a tiny model is a cute gimmick, but only for a short duration. It gets tiresome rather fast.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2016, 12:56:51 PM »
All locomotives are smoke equipped. The question is, can it be used more than once.

I can tell you, in the case of my Atlas MP15, it could not.

Ah, that "magic-smoke".  :D
. . . 42 . . .

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2016, 02:18:28 PM »
Ah, that "magic-smoke".  :D

Can't let it out 'cause you can't put it back!   :D

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2016, 02:44:19 PM »
I thought they announced the Cryogenic tanks in N?????

Or am I mistaken????

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2016, 03:57:10 PM »
+2
Attention BLI: Put you $ into developing N scale Little Joes, instead of GG1s. Now THAT would be a coup ($$$$$$$$$$$$$) for you!!!!
Buffering...

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2016, 04:35:52 PM »
+1
Broadway Limited just announced a preview of it's 2016-2017 Product guide

http://www.broadway-limited2.com/ProductGuide2016-17/

Lots of new N-Scale coming (sooner or later)

Steam:
   PRR T1 - 6 numbers, one unlettered, Paragon 3 decoder w/Rolling Thunder, Min Rad 9 3/4"

Diesel:
   EMD F3 - Phase IIa, A/B units in ATSF, CB&Q, GN, PRR, SP, UP, Undec, Paragon 3 decoder w/Rolling Thunder, Min Rad 9 3/4"
   EMD F7 - Phase I, A/B units ATSF, B&O, D&RG, MILW, NYC, NP, PRR, SP, Undec, Paragon 3 decoder w/Rolling Thunder, Min Rad 9 3/4"
   EMD SD70ACe - UP, UP Heritage MP, WP, KTY, DRGW, CNW, SP, GWBush, NS, NS Heritage NYC, Reading, Erie, PC, Undec , Paragon 3 decoder w/Rolling Thunder
   GE ES44AC - NS, NS Heritage CR, Sou, NKP, CoG, PRR, NW, LV, NS (Orig), Interstate,  UP "Building America", Undec Paragon 3 decoder w/Rolling Thunder

Electric:
   PRR GG1 - Multiple paint schemes, DGLE unlettered, Tuscan unlettered

The guide has no delivery dates for any of these so there's no knowing what's coming first, neither have any other announcements been made on the Broadway Limited web site.

Is this "in addition to" their AC6000s? Or did they drop those?

I too an totally uniterested in spending over $120 on a sound board I won't use as part of a locomotive's price. Manufacturers are going to learn the hard way that not EVERYONE wants sound in a loco. DCC folks had no trouble understanding that they still had to offer a DC version of their loco, but Bachmann and now BLI will leave sales on the table if they only offer sound versions at those prices.
Peter Pfotenhauer

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +413
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2016, 04:37:40 PM »
Is there a .pdf version?  The above link leads to a virtual catalogue that is on huge pain in the @$$#@+ to navigate...

Go to your address bar and change the url so the number after 'pg' is 88, if you want to start with n scale steam.